Swift roofrack

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by ringle, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ringle

ringle Read Only Funster

Hello, I have a swift sundance 630g, it has a roof rack which is approx 6ft long - does anyone know if it's possible to replace the lengthways rails so the roof rack is longer, as I want to put a kayak on top!!

Thx

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Don't know about replacing the existimg rails as it would leave holes in the roof that would need filling. There must be a way as I have seen kayaks on roofs.
    I think that people lay them on the roof and fix in some way with bungee rubbers.
    Someone may be able to help more.:Sad:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

3. ringle

ringle Read Only Funster

Thanks
    I was hoping the longer rails might locate on my original holes - can't see any makers name on them though, struggling!

Cheers

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Second thoughts could you not clip longer rails to the existing rails in some way ,eg jubilee clips. then you would only have the front to fix.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

5. ringle

ringle Read Only Funster

yeah, thats a possibility - can't see a makers name of the bloody things, so I can't trawl the net to find if they do longer ones. Frustrating as I've seen loads of MH's with the rails going nearly all the way up to the overcab.

6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I have the same van, 630G and I think the same roof rack,

I have often thought of having a bigger rack and the way I come up with was to fit an extra short rack in front of the exiting one, the only draw back is you are going to cover the large hatch! The good side is that it would probably be the cheapest way to do it.

Doug...

7. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

If your MH has smoorth alloy of glassfibre roof, you could use the lever action 'suction cup' type mounts, and then strap or bungee the canoe to the roof. You can also get a fully integrated rack that mounts with cups. They are said to be 100% reliable.

8. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

My 630g has a loose cover of aluminium as the final skin, I say loose as it is not bonded to the roof but held in place by the edging and fittings.

I would not recommend fitting suction cups to such a roof as the aluminium is going to be constantly moved by the load.

There are many vans with this kind of roof that have reported flexing noises when on the move, mine included and particularly when its very cold, the tech term for it is "panting", Can you imagine what a constant lifting up and down of the load is going to do to the aluminium skin!!!!

Doug...

9. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Sad: That is something that is causing me some concern having just Sikaflexed an 80W Solar Panel to the forward area of the roof rack. I didn't really want to put screws through the roof. But I may just have to for piece of mind. Sorry to digress. :Wink:

10. ringle

ringle Read Only Funster

Thanks for your thoughts - quite like the second roof rack idea, can easily use crawling board tytpe planks to walk around atop then, save me caving it in !!

11. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Fiamma do a set of roof rails 3m long and fixing bar rails which then go across, all very expensive but if they float the boat......................

Peter