Swift lifestyle 630g battery problems

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by badsim, Sep 19, 2011.

1. badsim

badsim Read Only Funster

I have a swift lifestyle 630g and when i put the battery selector to leisure battery's the needle goes to green as it should but soon as i turn on a light or pump or anything it should run the needle goes straight to red and nothing works? Checked all the fuses and they seam to be ok. When i put the switch back to cab battery everything works fine but as we all know the cab battery does not last long and this is not very good when u not on a site? Also does the alternator charge the leisure battery's whilst your driving? Any help would be good as we are new to the motor home game. Thanks

2. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Yes the alternator should charge the leisure battery when you are driving.

Re your problem, does the indicator go back to green when you switch back from the cab baterry to the leisure battery? If so, it sounds to me as if you have a bad connection somewhere. Just enough connection for the guage but not enough as soon as you try to draw a current.

Trouble is, where do you start?

I guess I would start by taking off the leisure battery connectors, cleaning them,and putting them back. If that makes no difference jou will have to follow the cabling and check connections as you go.

Years ago I had a similar problem on a cI van. The battery just wasn't charging as it should. Eventually I found a connector under the drivers seat that had never been properly tightened. Sorted that, and problem gone!

But it could be a duff battery.

3. badsim

badsim Read Only Funster

Checked

Yes the battery indicator goes back to green when you switch back from cab to leisure, Also just checked battery's with multi meter and both are showing 12.77v and stable so i think it must be a bad connection somewhere, Is there any relays or other switches anywhere?

4. badsim

badsim Read Only Funster

Bit wiered

Checked fuses today and found one under the bonnet had gone so i replaced it with a new one and now when i start the her up i have no power at all with selector switch in any position! If i take the fuse back out i have power in all the selector positions as i should? It is the middle fuse in a row of 3 under the bonnet, I think there must be a relay or something gone somewhere? I have checked that all batteries charging when van is started and they are and i also checked that the on board charger is working and it is. Please help as this is doing my head in, 9 times out of 10 we are on a site with hookup but i also like to go to festivals and there is no power at most of them! No festivals till next year but i still like to go wild sometimes and with no power from leisure batterys it just drains cab battery and then i go nowhere without the aa coming first lol Thanks

5. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

I,m not going to be a lot of good unless i,m in front of the motor with a multi meter, BUT, am i right in thinking, that nothing is supposed to work in the back if youve got the engine running? So if both batts are being charged, then you dont have a problem, unless i,m getting it arze about face again.:Smile:

6. badsim

badsim Read Only Funster

?

Only had the motor home a few months so i was not sure about power in back when engine running but i have just spoken to my local agent and he confirms that when the engine running nothing in back should work. So with the fuse gone things were working that was not right, Just one problem still, When i turn the engine off i can only run things when the selector switch is in the up position which is running everything from the cab not the leisure batteries, So i think there must be a fuse or relay gone somewhere that controls the leisure batteries or the selector switch? Driving me mad lol leisure Batteries & cab battery both charging with engine running, Trying to get a wiring diagram from swift or local dealer but harder than it sounds, Thanks for the help