Swift Kontiki New Axle upgrade (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi all

The Aging axle on my 1996 Peugeot Boxer based Kontiki 640 is clearly on its way out. After a couple of loud bangs last summer and then noticing over winter it was 2 inches lower I have had it into the Garage today and they have been talking to Alko. Its the older type with the springs that go all the way through so the whole axle needs to be replaced.

Alko have said I can have the newer type with the replacement torsion bars which I think can be individually replaced in the future. They have also said that this new axle will theoretically increase the Max weight from 3400KG to 3800KG which I think is the max weight of the newer Kontikis. As we carry a scooter we are right on the limit so this is good news.

The garage says that Alko said that you wont need to re-plate the van or inform DVLA the max weight will still officially be the same but with the new axle it could be re-plated to say it takes 3800KG. Im not fussed about getting it officially updated but should I be? Even with the bike on and all our other stuff we are still under 3400KG but it will be mighty reassuring to think that with the new axle we have loads more to play with and that I need not worry about being right on the limit anymore.

Cost of axle is £2200 fitted but it has to be done as the van is visibly lower than it was last summer.

cheers
Barry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
for the sake of an extra fee why not have the van replated anyway.

you say you are on the limit with the bike onboard so it would be worth while

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
for the sake of an extra fee why not have the van replated anyway.

you say you are on the limit with the bike onboard so it would be worth while

Thanks for the reply

I heard that your insurance goes up and you cant as easily get breakdown cover or be recovered from Europe if you over 3.5t. We are around £3360KG fully laden with a max of 3400KG currently allowed. Actually this doesnt make sense. This would mean that by adding the axle I will have a whole extra 440KG to play with (assuming I replate). Is this correct? seems a lot. What are the implications and procedures once the work is done?

Cheers
BArry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the reply

I heard that your insurance goes up and you cant as easily get breakdown cover or be recovered from Europe if you over 3.5t. We are around £3360KG fully laden with a max of 3400KG currently allowed. Actually this doesnt make sense. This would mean that by adding the axle I will have a whole extra 440KG to play with (assuming I replate). Is this correct? seems a lot. What are the implications and procedures once the work is done?

Cheers
BArry

yep!!! an extra 440kg will be added and will be useful.
providing your tyres are the correct type and load rating for the extra weight

i dont see any reason for the insurance increase as its still the same vehicle with the same £ value.
i'v never been asked the weight of any of my vans, just the usual stuff..age, model etc.

euro breakdown cover...no problem if you go to the right people.
the RAC Arrivals offer cover for all motorhomes regardless of weight/length etc both here and abroad...even the big RVs are covered...ie Geo's Damon Challenger 355 at around 35ft and 6500kg.
i believe the caravan club have also relaxed there 3500kg rule as well.

the biggest question is....do you haved a pre '97 licence (C1) or if after '97 have you taken the C1 test ?

you need C1 to drive over 3500kg

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Cheers

Yep, passed my test in 1983 2 weeks after my 17th birthday so should be able to drive anything. Thats a flipping brilliant payload then for a Kontiki 640. I thought it was already good. (although clearly not good enough for my knackered axle!)

Once the work is done then how do I get it replated, presume the DVLA have to be informed.

Thanks
Barry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers

Yep, passed my test in 1983 2 weeks after my 17th birthday so should be able to drive anything. Thats a flipping brilliant payload then for a Kontiki 640. I thought it was already good. (although clearly not good enough for my knackered axle!)

Once the work is done then how do I get it replated, presume the DVLA have to be informed.

Thanks
Barry

judging by other posts on the subject the company of choice seems to be SVtech.

basicaly a paper excersize...they ask, you answer. tyre size, type, rating etc and fill in a form, send back with a cheque and they send the new plate and a form for vosa/dvla which has to be sent off with the log book.

cost a couple of hundred quid though definately worth it.

Oh and possibly your tax disc as it may be cheaper than before.

SVtech

Last edited:
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Many thanks for this. will get the work done first and go from there. Takes 3-6 weeks for the Axle to arrive!

Regards
BD

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
svtech will tell you if your particular van can be uprated and to what weight as other things have an influance as well.

the 3800kg axle will be legal but at the existing 3400kg plate weight as things like brakes/tyres may prevent an official plate upgrade without upgrading these item too.

worth a call to svtech.

personally i think 3800kg is achievable.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks again. will talk to them once I have digested the shock of shelling out £2200k which I didnt bank on.

Regards
Barry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i read on the other channel you were thinking of getting your local spannermen to replace it !

ask them for a letter on headed paper stating they have changed it and more importantly the axle weight limit on the new one and if it has one, a certificate from alko.

svtech may ask for proof.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
i read on the other channel you were thinking of getting your local spannermen to replace it !

ask them for a letter on headed paper stating they have changed it and more importantly the axle weight limit on the new one and if it has one, a certificate from alko.

svtech may ask for proof.

Thanks. I already thought of this but just asked for an email or something in writing from Alko but will take your advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back