Swift kontiki 640/6 2.8td (1 Viewer)

Mac1949

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
Funster No
Hi All
Can anyone give any advice on the above m/h please. Good/Bad points.
What are they like on fuel. And how do they compare to Hymer B544.
Both are 2000 reg.
Thank You

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Hi Mac1949 The Swift Kontiki is a great M/H I was going to buy one myself untill the Autotrail turned up. The Kontiki is mid range and they always seem to sell well. Just check for the usual damp and damage. As for fuel comsumption aim on the mid 20's, people will tell you alsorts I've seen over 30 mpg mentioned many times. But you have a 2.8 ltr engine moving 3 plus tonnes. Above all get a M/H bought and enjoy.

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We have a 1989 Kontiki (I believe a 620) that we use as a commuter between the UK and Spain. It's the dog's danglies. Wouldn't have a Hymer if you paid me. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
I must confess to being a lover of the older Kontiki 640's

It is a great van but do have it checked for damp

nick:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi'
we have the 640L 2.8tdi 2001 model and we love it.

being the end lounge version theres loads of room to 'slob out'.
the overcab is only of use to kids and midgets but we use it for storing the bedding ect (we use the two rear couches for beds) with the safety net to hold it in place.
the bathrooms a bit cramped but useable if you dont move around to much.
excellent internal and external locker space.
the dinette is a waste of kitchen space (which is a bit restrictive in width)why dont they fit slideouts??????
drivability is very good for a 3.85ton van with the 2.8 turbo deisel pulling from quite low revs in 4th and 5th (not startling but good enough)
fuel consumption.....we get around 26mpg average at motorway speeds (constant 60 to 70mph) and A roads (accelarating and decelarating all the time :Angry:)
exactly 26mpg on a trip from scarborough to southsea, essex and back last year.
if you're thinking of getting one.........do it.:thumb:

john.

Upvote 0

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
fridge wanted,640 kontiki

Afternoon all,just got back from nec,cracking w,end.1st time out with my 640 kontiki,and problem with the fridge,mains and 12vlts not cooling down.so do any of u fellow motor homers av any ideas.i was wondering if there r any 2nd hand fridges around,i will buy new or recon if i av 2.but with the club aving such diverse membership i thought i would giv it shot.all the best 2 everyone,safe driving
:thumb:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Afternoon all,just got back from nec,cracking w,end.1st time out with my 640 kontiki,and problem with the fridge,mains and 12vlts not cooling down.so do any of u fellow motor homers av any ideas.i was wondering if there r any 2nd hand fridges around,i will buy new or recon if i av 2.but with the club aving such diverse membership i thought i would giv it shot.all the best 2 everyone,safe driving

If its working on gas but not electric, it could well be the electric heating element or a fuse.

Peter

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know if you're aware, and ignore if you are, but the 12v only works when the engine is running.

as peter said, on 230v H/U, it could be the mains breaker has tripped or the heating element has blown.
check the breakers in the mains consumer unit and try again, if it doesn't work check the breaker is still on....if it's tripped again there's a fridge or wiring fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I have a similar problem with my fridge, it switches on ok, but doesnt get cold at all.

I have read that removing it and turning it upside down for 10 minutes or so will remix the fluids in the fridge and it should then work again. This is due to it being stood for a while without use.
I will be trying this tomorrow if I get chance.

Also make sure the van is pretty level. :thumb:

Upvote 0

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
fridge problems

thank u all 4 your sudjestions,my lad is goin 2 av a look 2 morrow,ironic really he lives in adellade australia and is over 4 a couple of months,he is an air con technition.im down in a rather damp Burford nr Tenbury Wells waiting 2 load.all the best 2 everyone,safe driving in this adverse weather
:Doh:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back