Swift Kontiki 1997 Dinette

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by marymouse, Apr 3, 2013.

1. marymouse

marymouse Read Only Funster

Can anyone help me with converting my dinette into a double bed using the extensions which pull out? I have the three extra cushions but when I pull out the extensions the void between the seat areas is not filled as the pull out slats stop at the edge of the fixed seats....how does the middle cushion get supported? Am I missing a piece? Have now wasted quite a few hours on this puzzle! Cheers Mary

2. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Are you pulling out slats from under the seats? On my Kon-Tiki the support slats pull out from a side panel box beneath the bar that the table hooks onto. It looks like a solid box, but the entire top comes off with the slats roll attached. The top of the box then clips onto the far edge of the seats.

3. marymouse

Hi there, yep I pull out the slats from the hidden box (they kinda roll out) and hook in on each side of the bench seats. This then makes a large single bed area. But I need to make this bed into a double for two children to sleep on and so I pull out the metal extensions from the side of the bench seats (towards the oven area) and this widens the area by just over a foot. I have three spare cushions which fit this area but the extensions only extend the bench seat widths and so the middle cushion has no support and the roll out slats do not extend to here? A real mystery!

Thanks for your reply! I've not tried any of these forums before!

Mary

4. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

It appears that we have different models/layouts Mary. So I'm afraid I can't help. However I'm sure someone, on this very helpful site, will be able to.

Mike

5. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: Hi some photos might help :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  6. LDV400

LDV400 Funster

fixed slats

Hi
    I have a swift royale 630 similar m/home there is two pieces of slats which are screwed together like a small ladder which get laid on top off the extensions they may be hidden in van somewhere ? :thumb:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ahhhh !!!! the plot has just got a lot thinner...or the mud is clearer.

i had the same layout in a kontiki 640L and couldnt figure out how the centre outer section between the extensions was supported.

i never found the elusive 'ladder' slats either.

there again, we never used the dinette as a bed....just set it up to see how it worked.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  8. LDV400

LDV400 Funster

lost slats

Hi
    I have the slats in the m/home if you wan,t I will take a picture of them :Smile:

9. marymouse

A photo of the slats / ladder thing would be amazing.....my husband thinks I'm mad but I know this double bed is possible and it will stop the arguing as the overhead bed is becoming a little claustrophobic for two bigger children! This forum thing is amazing...I have been searching for an answer for about 6 months and all you helpful people were here all along! Thank you!

10. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Just been in the loft.

My god:Eeek::Eeek: not been up there for a while it is minging:BigGrin:

Everything is covered in a half inch of dust.

I should have brought it down to take picture:BigGrin:But decided against that:BigGrin:

I have three cushions attached to each other and the middle piece has a wooden base inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as I remember the 3 attached cushions fit on the pull out bits and the wooden base of the middle cushion supports it.

Sorry for the scruffy dusty loft:BigGrin:

Hope this helps:BigGrin:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

too clever for your own good you are Lesley.:Laughing:

I have that lot in my garage and many times i looked at them and wondered what they were for and where they came from.

now memories come flooding back. :Doh:

when we bought the kontiki i took them out thinking i dont know where they go and will never use them for that reason alone.:Blush:

not sure of condition as they have been in the garage for around 5 years but are in black bin bags...... anybody wants them they are up for grabs free...but they are pretty heavy and very bulky so collect only, or you pay carrier fee.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mikemoss

Mikemoss Read Only Funster

Our 1998 Bessacarr E695 is the same layout. We have the three linked cushions, but no wooden base in the centre cushion. Instead, there's a separate section of three slats which slots in to fill the unsupported gap when making up the full double bed. It's a fairly bulky and awkward thing to store, so I suspect the OP would have found it by now if it was present.

I guess a suitably-sized piece of plywood would do just the same job.

13. LDV400

LDV400 Funster

Dinette slats

Hi Marymouse
    I think I said there was two slats but there are three, one for either side where the cushions are and a larger one which continues on from the pull out slats. I am attaching some photos of the slats which may be helpful. If you need any more info just shout. :Smile:

Attached Files:

14. Revk

Revk Read Only Funster

try the Table

Our royale 630 has the slats, but for a large single, but for a double we use have to use the table as a support instead of the pull out.

15. marymouse

Brilliant, the photos were great! Thank you! My cushions are all seperate and are soft all round so I think the little ladder things are the bits I need...and hubby has now announced that he may have seen these in the lockers at some point!!! Bring on the complete bed! We love our Kontiki and this means it can be useful for a little longer! Thank you all!
    :thumb: Mary

• Like Like x 2