Swift Escape 664

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Snitrats, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

I have a 2009 Escape 664,which I now understand has a lightweight chassis and Swift do not advise fitting a towbar.However Total fitted one earlier this year, Any comments?:Sad:

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

it could be not recomended because you don't have the payload to tow anything, or it could be the lightweight chassis is not up to the loads imposed by towing. Should you have a problem your insurance will most likely be considered void as the manufacturers do not recomend fitting a tow bar so the vehicle has become non standard construction if you were towing at the time or not.:cry:

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

As I understand it, providing the chassis has been EXTENDED by the installer, you should be OK, you cannot just bolt a towbar on the back end.

Peter

4. johnson

johnson Read Only Funster

Swift Escape Towbar

Found the following from another motorhome site (Googled Swift Escape Towbar)

seems to be a definitive answer?

Message from a Swift (2009)

To clarify our position the Escape is fitted with lightweight chassis extensions (not a lightweight chassis), with lightweight chassis extensions the vehicle is not suitable for towing.

It is possible to replace the lightweight chassis extensions with heavy duty ones, which are suitable for towing with the fitment of a tow bar. However, the reason for not fitting heavy duty extensions is due to the available payload on the base vehicle Motorhome (a typical tow bar that weighs 35KG, and the heavy duty extensions add 10KG without any towing loads or noseloads being allowed for).

We are aware of some manufacturers who build their vehicles with heavy duty extensions which technically could tow but in reality don’t have the payload allowance available to do so. We therefore would recommend that the payloads are considered when choosing a vehicle suitable for towing. In addition the towing limits set by a manufacturer should take into account the rear overhang in the calculation as it is not as simple as setting the towing limit by deducting gross towing vehicle weight from the train weight.

5. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

First of all thanks for all the comments, got into a bit of a panic after reading about Escape towing on another Forum.But:Rofl1: After further inspection I think I am OK, see if you agree?

The Plate in the cab Quotes...............
    3500kg
    5500kg
    1-1850kg
    2-2000kg.

wonder why Swift give a mass weight if it can not tow ?
    The Total tow bar is a substancial piece of kit taken back to the main chassis . and plated for 65kg max nose weight & 1700kg pull.
    I am towing a Panda (900kg) on a A frame so I think I will be OK:Rofl1:

6. CURLYCORNFLAKE

CURLYCORNFLAKE Read Only Funster

Hi we have an escape 664. Swift have brought out escape mark 2 recently which has the chassis extensions already.Don't know if its the same chassis until I crawl underneath one of the new ones .

I would appreciate knowing how you get on with it towing an A frame
    Thanks Herb

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

10Kg, 22lbs. Are they desperate or lying ?

8. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Hi, yes it tows fine. We have only done one trip as yet from Leicester over to the east coast,total trip 310 miles. Quite a few hills on this route but it coped OK. I was a little worried that it may have been under powered but not to bad, the added benefit was getting better fuel consumption due to the lower speed limit.:BigGrin:

9. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

sorry Brian you've lost me on that one:Doh: