Swift Command - how is it for you? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Swift Command - the phone app and/or computer interface that enables you to remotely monitor and control environmental odds and sods inside your Swift-built MH via a SIM card embedded in the control panel. A tracker is also included. Currently free to use for three years.

It all started well when the vehicle was delivered in March but I'm now having increasing difficulty making online contact with the vehicle's control panel, and was wondering if anyone else out there is getting software hiccups.

My private theory is Swift's/Sargent's server might not be coping with increasing demand as more owners begin to activate it, but I could be wrong there.

Any thoughts about this First World problem?

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have the Swift Command system and it works to a degree. Regularly drops off on Bluetooth from phone to the panel

Works really well remotely

Stupid system that you need to log on just to turn the damned awning light off or dim the lights. What's wrong with a switch?

There was a recent upgrade from Sargent which we have not done yet...maybe that will help

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any thoughts about this First World problem?

You volunteer for Big Brother watching you ? You might think you know what is going on but they can be monitoring every little detail of your use, including possibly sounds.

What could be interesting, given the Swift, "do not use it in Europe warranty" ( have they backed off that now ) is they could amass data to wriggle out of warranty work.

Ask Mr @Jaws about how impressed he is with Sargent just trying to get a step to work.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Am sure the OP is grateful for all the assistance with his Swift Command......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You volunteer for Big Brother watching you ? You might think you know what is going on but they can be monitoring every little detail of your use, including possibly sounds. What could be interesting, given the Swift, "do not use it in Europe warranty" ( have they backed off that now ) is they could amass data to wriggle out of warranty work. Ask Mr @Jaws about how impressed he is with Sargent just trying to get a step to work.

Big Brother is welcome to monitor my waste water levels until he's grey in the face - my conscience is clear on that front.

We couldn't be arsed paying extra for the Area 51 Paranoid Plus monitoring packaging, and even the CIA/GCHQ Special Offer seemed a bit steep, so we've gone for the bog standard option that does electrics, liquids, temperature etc (yawn).

Do you think the grey aliens might be checking on the grey water? Something to ponder from the safety of my tin foil helmet.

I'll check the small print about Euro use and let you know.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Maybe the traditional Swift leaks are the problem?:rolleyes:

Give us a chance to get the valance rattle sorted before we start worrying about water ingress. Last MH was a CI Carioca 656 with integral roof puddle, so we know leaks when we see them, believe me. Two warranty recalls, an additional re-seal, then a duff satellite dish installation. We weren't far off charging people to see the stalactites.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the Area 51 Paranoid Plus monitoring packaging.

Oh I'm definitely paranoid, or is it sceptical about anything Sargent, it crops up so often on here. I really would be removing any SIM that could be putting me in constant direct contact to their systems. Who the hell needs to alter the temperature when out of the van ? Or for that matter your home as is all the rage these days. Just so much more to fail for so little benefit.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Oh I'm definitely paranoid, or is it sceptical about anything Sargent, it crops up so often on here. I really would be removing any SIM that could be putting me in constant direct contact to their systems. Who the hell needs to alter the temperature when out of the van ? Or for that matter your home as is all the rage these days. Just so much more to fail for so little benefit.

I completely agree with you - I see no need to twiddle with the settings from the comfort of my own home, or with Bluetooth if I'm already within yards of the vehicle. Just because I can doesn't mean I have to, or will.

However it does offer a free text alert if the MH changes location from its storage site, and a low voltage alert on both batteries which may be handy in winter time. The location history's not bad for checking on aire co-ordinates either, and it gave our offspring back home the chance to see where we were on a map if there was an emergency. The rest is just for checking when I've got too much spare time on my hands.

Is it time to be thinking of buying German ?

Known issue, being fixed for free. Body has 10 years warranty, subject to small print of course. Give us a chance to buy British - bloody thing's only two months old :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Give us a chance to buy British -

I did that once - a Rover 200 TDi - it was a pretty good car, went very well and handled well but the supplying dealer had to finish off welding the roof on, among other things. The novelty wore off then.

It was an odd fault, I got this squeak squeak from behind me. Took it back, test run, not a squeak. But it returned. Took it back and virtually kidnapped the workshop foreman, it did not squeak until a certain temperature and just about the time he was about to jump out and call the Police it started squeaking. So out came the roof lining and they found some of the welds weren't.

If this sort of thing continues post Brexit we will be in deep poo.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
However it does offer a free text alert if the MH changes location from its storage site, and a low voltage alert on both batteries which may be handy in winter time. The location history's not bad for checking on aire co-ordinates either.............

I must admit that does sound useful.

Though anyone can do this, more or less, with a £35 ebay tracker.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Here you go @hilldweller if you're interested (or even if you're not) - I've re-established connection with the MH via the CIA HQ at Langley, and the current levels are [drum roll...]

Broken Link Removed

So let's have a look - it's not freezing and it's not on fire, the low humidity would suggest it's not leaking (yet) @nicholsong, and I am without sin and in a state of grace regarding grey water. Battery levels look healthy so solar charging is not required. There's only a 0.1A drain on the leisure (selected) battery so no panic there.

Pity there's not a rodent incursion detector but you can't have everything. Little bugger's probably gnawing through the foot well lining as I write.

It would appear I can sleep soundly tonight, despite my vehicle not being German made ;)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
My private theory is Swift's/Sargent's server might not be coping with increasing demand as more owners begin to activate it

Interesting!

I love a gadget and if ever I buy a new motorhome, this feature / kit is definitely on my list (y)

I've even been toying with building a Raspberry Pi setup in to my 1999 Sundance to bring it kicking and screaming in to the current century :LOL:

From that line in your post, you make it sound like your app connects to Swift HQ, who in turn then push the changes / settings you make on your phone back out to your motorhome.

Is this correct? Do you not connect directly to the motorhome itself? (And are simply suffering poor mobile signal on whichever sim provider Swift use?)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Here you go @hilldweller if you're interested (or even if you're not)

That is very impressive. I love that sort of thing, well I should I used to make such systems for CNC machines. But would I want such a system on my own van, no way, so many things to go wrong and no serious aid to enjoying the passion of motorhoming.

Everything on that display, except humidity, I have in my 13 YO van, plus time. alarm clock, egg timer, light control, security system and door bell. Admittedly nowhere near as pretty and on several displays. The big plus is there are a few different low tech systems so one does not drag another down and fault finding is trivial compared to yours. Ask @Jaws one of the best electronic minds on FUN who has been seriously distressed by Sargent.

KISS.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
From that line in your post, you make it sound like your app connects to Swift HQ, who in turn then push the changes / settings you make on your phone back out to your motorhome.

Surely they can't be that stupid on a system fitted to a vehicle that moves from country to country in and out of phone dead spots.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
@RogerThat - There's a mobile phone App and a web interface, both of which I have to log into via the same Swift Command account so I assume the links are managed by their server. A history graph is also available to show fluctuations in levels over a period of time, although I suspect that's a bit of overkill. I mean how interesting is a graph of waste water levels for heaven's sake?

There's also a Bluetooth option if I'm in or near the vehicle, but it's quicker just to press the buttons in the MH.

The data in the display above is relayed from the control panel above the hab door via a built-in SIM card which only worked when I set up an account with Swift. The screenshot is of the web interface version. I have three years' free use of the SIM , then who knows? I can track the MH for free using this system, but there's also a paid for Category 6 tracking service available, presumably based on the SIM too. I can't be bothered with it as it costs nearly £100 pa and having it makes no difference to the insurance premium.

The same system tracked our MH all through France on our recent trip there, and I can back track through a calendar to get location details on any given date on a map. Because we were on aires and not following a strict travel plan I gave one of our kids the Swift Command account log in details so she could see exactly where the MH was on a map, down to a few metres, in case of a dire emergency.

But would I want such a system on my own van, no way, so many things to go wrong and no serious aid to enjoying the passion of motorhoming.

I don't disagree. I had no choice - it's built in. Like I say, the free tracking and the battery level text alerts seem useful, but I see no reason to be manipulating any of the internal systems or lighting remotely when it's stored only fifteen minutes' drive from home. I think I'll be a very passive user.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The frost alerts are very useful if your are away from your van (or remote storage). You can remotely override the heating to come on for a short burst or longer period.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The frost alerts are very useful if your are away from your van (or remote storage). You can remotely override the heating to come on for a short burst or longer period.
Remote override would be useful but in my Swift, it only works if you buy the "ransom hardware" iNet box (£££££)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back