Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by haganap, Apr 17, 2013.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Dec 5, 2007

Where did you go?

2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Can't really help you--yet----but we have done quite a bit of poking around In preparation for our trip later this year--------------most important--it is expensive (but not as expensive as Norway)---------it does seem as though lpg is more of a problem than Southern Europe------jury is out on Wi-Fi, but it does seem as though it is available at libraries---the most important thing for us is the right to camp (almost) anywhere (for free), basically you can wild-camp freely----------------------we are not interested in cities, we are aiming for OPEN SPACE/mountains/Lapp-land etc

OHHH yes-----the winter is cold----summer quite short-----loads of mozzies-----24 hour (potential) sunshine in mid-summer in the North-----solar-panel will work overtime:BigGrin: (hopefully)

Nigel & Pamala
  3. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

May 17, 2008
    We travelled from Finland into Sweden, around the Baltic, and then inland, to Denmark last year.

There are no pitfalls as such, I think just about any road is OK for a motorhome. and you can stop overnight in layby's etc without trouble. Many rest areas have toilet emptying facilities.

The only thing I would say is that whilst there are some very nice places in Sweden, the journeys themselves are frankly boring. The trouble is its all covered with trees! And once you have seen1 kilometre of road in a forest you have seen them all. We original thought we'd drive down the Baltic coast - well we did but you can only see it if you go off the road to villages etc. Otherwise its trees. But maybe I'm being a bit unfair because earlier in the trip we drove up all the way through Norway, which was absolutely wonderful!

For us the best parts of Sweden were the inland lakes eg at Ratkvik (I think) and there is a superb bear park north of there. We went south to Jonkoping, and found a delightful spot on the way at a place called HJO (pronounced you) on the side of the lake. We had a couple of nights in the campsite at Hjo - delightful.
  4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Mar 12, 2012
    Hi,i have lived here in Sweden for the past 11and bit years,my location can be found in the sites map, M&i have travel'd qiute intensively in this wonderful land and islands, there is so much to see and do, if you like culture, history, nature and wild camping etc + there are some wonderful camping site's, that caters for every one, there are loads of musts,so its just to enjoy whats out there,yes wild camping is welcomed here, but be careful when having open fires,and please take your rubbish with you when you leave that goes with out saying, from south to north you will enjoy the change in scenery's, one my musts would be fore you's, is the High coast region, if you Google High coast Sweden you can see what i mean, and as some one said that sweden is expensive, thats a bit over the top, food if a little more expensive than uk by very little, diesel cost today's price,13.72skr per litre gas is exspensive because we have ti import it ito the country,but varies every day up and down, but i will say the British pound is taking a bashing of late here and rest of Europe,so check exchange rates,and as said mozzies can be come a pest,so bring a good repel ant with you, and when in the south of the country,always check your selfs for festing after walking in the forest,these are like little blood sucker's, no problems to dogs but problem to humans,if you need any more info or advice just pm me and if you near us on your travels you are welcome to drop in kettles always on here ,so enjoy your travels to Sweden,Alf and M.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Dec 23, 2007
    We went in 2011 for the Scouts jamboree in Ystad. If you are fans of Henning Mankell's Wallender, Ystad has a footsteps of Wallender trail. http://www.wallander.ystad.se/en
    Prices can be high especially in towns and cities when eating out eg £4 a pint.
    some supermarket prices are on a par with here,does that say something about our prices?
    They have a rule called Allemansrätten 'everyman's right freedom to roam' which means you can camp on any public land as long as you are at least 50 metres from a water course or habitation. some laybys which had picnic areas also had toilets open all night and very clean,what would you expect,its Sweden. Some toilets had drinking water taps and,if you look for the sign 'latrine' it is a toilet emptying point on a par with campsites.
    We stayed at a site in Stockholm and paid £20 per night but saved when we went up North by free camping.
    The other stinger was the trip across the Great Belt bridge from Denmark.
    Our favourite bit was visiting Carl Larssons house and garden in Sundborn and camping in the grounds-in fact we were virtually encouraged to do so. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Alk5WCmWI"]Carl Larsson visit -09 - YouTube[/ame]

If you go there go to the church which has a car park where you can stop over and the cemetery over the road has water available.
    I must get around to putting this stuff on an album.

Sadly the Ikeas are the same as here nothing novel or unique.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Jun 22, 2010
    Not motorhomed there, but spent some time way up in the north at Abisko, filming for Scania. Just up the road from Abisko is the worlds most northerly golf course at Bjorklidens. Went also to Narvik just over the border in Norway, and the roadside between the two was dotted with small lakes, all surrounded with the most picturesque summer cottages.

We were there in June, and it was continual daylight, but actually never saw the sun, it was always cloudy. We usually stopped in their roadside huts and had our lunch, but I never quite grasped whether it was 1pm lunch, or 1am lunch...:Eeek:

Max temperature at any time was 12degC.

Absolutely loved it, and want to go back, but it's a long way up there by road.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Oct 27, 2007
    We love Sweden have been nearly every year for the last 20 years. Kevin's best friend married a Swedish girl he met in Ibiza and moved over there. We have taken the motor home on two occasions now.

The price of getting to Sweden has become so expensive now especially if your van is over 6 metres and especially over 3.5 ton. I have never found things very expensive over there except Alcohol which unlike here you cannot buy it anywhere but have to purchase spirits and strong beer and wine at the state office licence.

It's a beautiful country and we would live there if we could.

Have a chat with us at Peterborough

• Like Like x 1
  8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Dec 12, 2010
    I work for a Swedish company.

The Swedes are very friendly but I can't get you any discounts unless you need a forklift!:Laughing:
    • Like Like x 3