Swapping 12n and 12s sockets on towbar?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by YukonJac, Nov 22, 2015.

1. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Hi all,
    I just bought a Thule Easybase for the towbar on my Murvi and once it is on the towball, it obstructs the 12n socket so I can't plug it in. The 12s socket is just below - - does anyone know if it is it straight forward to swap the two sockets on the towbar without frying myself ? I'm handy with a wrench but know little about electrics....
    Photo of identical setup below - ignore the masculine had with the 13pin!

Thanks in advance! images.jpeg
    Jacquie

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Real easy as long as you make notes of the various wires and related pins.
    You could simply swap the whole bracket to the other side but the covers would open downward rather the up....not that it really matters as they arent fully waterproof anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The cables to each socket go through the bracket so you need to disconnect the wires from each in order to change them around..

The 12s socket has a live feed on pin 4 , so you need to find the fuse and pull it.. or disconnect the battery before starting .. otherwise you may blow the fuse..

a useful drawing showing the colours and pin numbers, or do as John suggests.. just make a note of them

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

It may be possible to do it without unwiring. Have a look on the back plate and there might even by cut outs that let you unscrew the front plate and swap the sockets. That's how they were on my landrover.

• Like Like x 1
  5. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Thanks very much - I think I can manage any of those solutions, but I vote for the easiest. Love the schematic!!

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow -
    Jac

• Like Like x 1
  6. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

if theres some slack on the cables its often easier to cut them close to the connectors so you leave a little of the colour on then swap them one at a time once its in the new position

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Could Jacquie not do that and then undo the two bolts in each socket, rotate the sockets through 180 degs (assuming the cable is flexible enough) and re-bolt them back onto the backplate? The sockets would then be correctly aligned again on the other side.

• Like Like x 1
  8. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

The cabling seems pretty tight (which possibly precludes just swapping the whole assembly to the other side), but I haven't had a really good play with it yet - just got the rack tonight frozen fingers and not enough light here at CC Brighton!

9. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
  10. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Mission accomplished!! It was a doddle thanks to your encouragement - I swapped them over and rewired them both - all works great now. You saved me a few quid!! Thanks again lads -
    Jac:love:

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Unfortunately not that simple.
    The three fixing holes in the backplate are set in a triangle with one hole at the top....or bottom, cant remember.
    To turn the socket 180° would result in one fixing hole being at the bottom of the plate but the hole in the socket being at the top.
    But.....the plate could be turned 180° in both directions...left to right and top to bottom which would place all holes in the correct location.

IGNORE THIS DRIVEL i see what you mean....simply flip horizontally from left to right.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  12. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Well, at least I understood your "drivel" so we must be as daft as each other!;):)