Swap Motorhome for land

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Blisters, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Blisters

Blisters Read Only Funster

HI guys

Not sure where to start with this one, but in short, we have been offered 2 plots of land which we assume are in Rhondda Cynon Taff, wales (haven't a clue where this is), both plots of land have planning permission for a detached 3 bed house

We say assume the land is there, because the enquiry as come from there, they have given us a phone number to call to discuss, but as of yet we haven't called them, and doubt we will

Our van is forsale at £35K, and whilst my first thought is this sounds to good to be true, and therefore should be egnored, my second thought is maybe I should consider it,

After all, doing a deal this way maybe safer than accepting cash, surely if a deal was concluded through a solicitor it could possible be a good deal, I must say it would not be of interest to me as a piece of land, but if i could do a deal, then sell the land as 2 lots via an auction, maybe I could make a few quid

Of course the first question as to be Wht doesn't he sell the land himself and buy a M/H with the cash, and of course I don't know

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated, But please your considered thought,s and not just a neejerk answer, which would surely be "sounds to good, therefore don't do it"

let me say I am almost certainly going to turn it down, because for us to do it I would want to make a tidy profit, to make it worth while, and therefore feel if the land is worth so much more, then surely he would sell the plots

Graham n Kay

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

3. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

Rationally, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Perhaps the land owner has tried to sell with no luck, and see's you as an easy touch.

Perhaps the land is not worth what he was asking.

Perhaps the land is unsuitable in two parcels.

I would certainly be very, very careful.

If you decide to go ahead, take the very best advice available.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

If interested , first step is to check the ownership .. costs £4

Property Search - Land Registry

you can perhaps also see what the last owner paid ..

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  5. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

You have nothing to lose by going to look. But then you say you are "almost certainly going to turn it down", which makes me wonder why you should be interested or bothered about going at all?!!

Never having bought land i've no idea just what is involved other than it must be a legal transaction so the services of a reputable Solicitor experienced in land purchase would be needed if you went ahead. All I would say to that is don't let the seller recommend one to you......get your own.

6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

From my couple of drive throughs in the last 3 years, the area is well run down, and I believe it has the highest unemployment in the UK, I would suggest a visit!

Doug...

7. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

Perhaps it is close to the new By-pass being built, or under it!

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i could be wrong but i understand the Rhondda valley suffers some of the highest unemployment, and some of the lowest quality of life because of it, in the uk.

who, in their right mind, would buy a house in such an area which to me makes the planning permission pretty much irrelevant.

i know you werent thinking of building yourself but a future land sale could prove difficult.

you certainly would need to know if the land is on old mine workings/reclaimed slag heaps etc, as it could possibly be prone to subsidance etc.

i think if the land was that good why hasnt it been sold already?

be very careful !!!!

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Single building plots in West Wales have been selling recently for £60k

10. busydaffodil

busydaffodil Read Only Funster

Rhondda Cynon Taff............does have high unemployment & is near the top of the chart for early deaths, however, there are pockets of really nice areas there and I would not dismiss it without a look.
    Ask where & the postcode of the plots....then google earth them.
    I live over the valley from there & would take a look on google for you.

11. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

IMHO

Location, Location, Location

12. wasp

wasp Funster

Another thing to look into is ,How close are the services ,Water, Electric, Gas and of course drainage, also is it near a river its the little things that cost the most :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

13. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

I live in the rhondda cynon taf area. In the POSH part i might add :Rofl1:

PM me the details and i could check it out for you :Wink:

14. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Well Graham and Kay,

Only to add that it looks like you have been given some very good and helpful advice. My only further thing to add would be, there's a massive difference between The Valleys and Dorset. Im sure the the Valleys would be a nicer place in terms of many things but as has been highlighted has its problems. Don't think Dorset doesn't though but im sure you know that.

unless of course your just looking to turn a profit and not live there? if thats the case then why o why have builders not bought it? Built on it? and ran off with the profit? Builders are generally astute and would cease these type of opportunities.

All I want too know is where on earth you are going to be? Nikki keeps on having to change the Address on your Christmas card,:Rofl1:

15. John H

John H Read Only Funster

If I was thinking of this deal I would get the address and planning details, if it has outline planning there will be a OS type map with the two intended structures on it, if you could then fax these over to a local estate agent and ask them to do a valuation for a quick sale, this should give you a rough idea of the value and local estate agents will know of any major problems with the area etc. Property is starting to move again in North Wales, typical single plot price is £50k-70k for a decent area but without any sea views etc.

Regards, John

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Try looking
    Rhondda Cynon Taff land. Find land for sale in Rhondda Cynon Taff
    As you will see building plots prices vary a lot :Wink:
    It can do no harm to ask where ? It is all depending on your risks outlook, it could well be a good investment if :BigGrin:
    you have say 50k to put a house on the land-- sell for a minimum 120k for a 3 bed house = 50 plus 17.5 = 67.5 k
    do that twice = 55k profit twice
    or stick 35 k in bank for 2 years and get 3 k in interest :Rofl1: of course you will need to oversee the building work :Rofl1: but then again it may be another career :Rofl1:
    terry

17. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Possibility it is genuine but in the building climate at the moment builders are not willing to speculate on land, if it is genuine and you can afford to sit on it for a while, could make a nice profit, could be worth a bit of research. Carol.