Svtech uprating (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
This may have been asked before/elsewhere...
Has anybody had a weight uprate with Svtech and if so are there any pitfalls with resale or insurance.
Also on a modern van (Bailey 740) is there likely to be any mechanical upgrades ie suspension and or braking.
Obviously a lot will vary from van to van so a general question really

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Svtech did the paper work for me very straightforward in my case upped to 3850kg from 3500kg without any mods.
I think there are other funsters who have done it themselves for a lot cheaper

Reactions: f6c
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did a 2013 Autotrail Tracker fitted rear air and uprated tyres but some only need a paper excercise there are other people who do this as others will tell you,there are several threads if you do a search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We did ours through JR Consulting (very quick, efficient & reasonable) .... our wheels and tyres were already suitable but had to add rear air assisted suspension. (AS Airsuspension)(y)

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Likewise, I also used JR Consulting and found the service received very efficient and like many others would have no hesitation in recommending. I upped my GVM from 3650 to 4100, wheels and tyres were deemed suitable but rear air assistance was required to take me above 3850; again another satisfied AS Airsuspension customer(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This may have been asked before/elsewhere...
Has anybody had a weight uprate with Svtech and if so are there any pitfalls with resale or insurance.
Also on a modern van (Bailey 740) is there likely to be any mechanical upgrades ie suspension and or braking.
Obviously a lot will vary from van to van so a general question really
No pitfall ref resale as a new owner can always downrate if needs be, as for insurance, shouldn't make any difference but it can affect breakdown/recovery so you need to check that out with whoever you use as to whether you'll still be covered and if there are any changes about what's included and what's not (eg it's not unusual for the 'hotel etc' accommodation provision not to be guaranteed once you're over 3500kg).

Only other downside is the slightly lower speed limits in some instances and that you need to have a suitable driving licence to be able to drive over 3500kg.

One advantage of going into the higher weight range is that you will be in the PHGV revenue class so pay LESS road tax ... only £165 a year!

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I used SV three/four years ago to uprate the Hymer from by 400 kgs. Absolutely no problems. I was unsure about the process but they talked me through it all so I felt completely at ease.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We used SV to do ours, top company very professional, had a problem with DVLA and the registration document which I couldn't get sorted one phone call to SV hey presto all sorted.
Definitely recommend them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Before this disintegrates into yet another SV versus JR argument let's address the OP questions.

1. Will updating affect the resale value?

There's no good reason why it should. You can downrate the weight whenever you like at no cost.

2. Will uprating affect insurance?

Again there's no good reason why it should because you don't tell the insurance company what the weight of the vehicle is to start with. That said it doesn't do any harm to let them know. Argue if they want to charge you for updating details though. They don't hold the details to start with so they have nothing to update.

3. Do you need to make mechanical upgrades?

That depends on the vehicle and the weight you want. You will often be able to get a moderate uprate as a paper exercise. Then again you might need to do some significant work. This would mean my answer to Q2 may not apply and you do need to tell your insurers.

In short there is no definitive answer, it's very much a vehicle specific question and it makes no difference which engineer you use to do the work.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Here's one I did earlier. I never went ahead as we don't take the two bikes anyway (after paying a £1000 for a towbar and a bar mounted rack, oh and two eBikes, the wife decided she didn't have the confidence to ride). :eek:
My fault. :doh:

It appears there are cheaper options around from other posts but here's the answer I got from Gareth at SV Tech.

I forgot to add @Targetpaster it was a 740SE so it will answer your question.

Last edited:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hey Minxy, didn't you 'do it yourself' last time? Why don't you go into business doing them (y) :)
Yes I did do it myself ... see my post #14 with links to other threads about it.

As for going into business ... no thanks ... I had enough of working for other people when I was a PA! :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back