suspensid coil re enforcers?? (1 Viewer)

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Hi!​

I have a VW Gatcombe which comfortably accommodates 2 adults but has enough room on top for two small children, I would say.

Last w.e my son went away with his partner and two very young kids, just for a weekend, and the load apparently was up to the max, and he said he could hear the back wheel rubbing on the wheel arch. He said he hadnt taken an extraordinary load with them though!

So, I've been advised to buy supports for the existing suspension coils because I cant get the stronger ones fitted (not available).

Can anyone comment on this? Are they effective or a waste of money?

Thanks!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Firstly I would have the tyres checked to ensure they have not been damaged if they were rubbing on the bodywork.

If the van was not overloaded then I would suspect the springs need replacing and wold have them checked as well.

Brian

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i would get the van on a weigh bridge just to find out how close to the max axle weight you actually are before spending any money on spring assisters.

the type of assister you are talking about used to be very popular with volvo estate owners as they used to sag quite a lot when towing a caravan, they are cheap and easy enough to fit if you are able to get under the van to fit them although it will need jacking up to lower the axle provided it is on coil springs.

my first port of call would be a local weigh bridge though and get the weight of the front axle , the rear axle and the total vehicle.

i strongly suspect that your son was overloaded on the rear axle though.
it is not uncommon in any means as the weight is never where you expect it to be and normally you dont have a great amount of capacity on smaller vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Firstly I would have the tyres checked to ensure they have not been damaged if they were rubbing on the bodywork.

If the van was not overloaded then I would suspect the springs need replacing and would have them checked as well.

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for what yu've put. Done both of those, the springs are new.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Brian

Thanks for what yu've put. Done both of those, the springs are new.

Hi boogie, that's great news, so it woul seem the van was probably overloaded.:Doh:

Our previous m/h was an Autosleepers Windsor on which the rear cart spring were permanently flat.

This we overcame by having http://www.as-airsuspension.co.uk/ fitted which cured the spring problem and made the van much better to drive, particularly on corners and in cross winds.

The systems allows you to raise and lower the rear end from within the cab and can also help leveling on site. It does NOT increase your payload however, details of which you can find on a plate under the bonnet & can be checked out on a local weighbridge. (weigh front and rear axles separately)

I note that you are in Cheshire & probably not far from AS-Air Suspension who are at Warrington so it would be worth a visit to get their opinion.

The business is run by Phil & Cath who we found to be very genuine and helpful while providing a brilliant professional service.

Brian

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Would totally agree Air Suspension would seem the way to go, if every thing else is OK.

We had it fitted to an earlier van and it totally cured our problem, and would have it fitted again if needed.

As an extra we found the total ride package improved, how I first noticed the great improvement was on steep twisting descents with drop on one side, although not worried prior felt a new total confidence in handling and enjoyed the experience far more.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
dont forget though that if you have air suspension fitted that added weight comes off what you can carry and VOSA are getting very keen on motorhomes as they know many are close to their max weight empty.

they have also had a run on pulling panel vans with trailers knowing full well that most of them wont have the necessary tachograph fitted for being over 3.5ton.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
dont forget though that if you have air suspension fitted that added weight comes off what you can carry and VOSA are getting very keen on motorhomes as they know many are close to their max weight empty.

[HI]they have also had a run on pulling panel vans with trailers knowing full well that most of them wont have the necessary tachograph fitted for being over 3.5ton[/HI].

I believe this is only necessary on vehicles for business use and would not affect a normal motorhome of any weight.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you are running a trainweight over 7,500kg then tacho and drivers hours are needed. even if private .changed in 2007.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another option to stiffen suspension is Monroe Max-Air Adjustable Shock Absorbers:

I fitted them to a Volvo estate to stiffen up the rear for towing a caravan .. a bonus is there is no extra weight as they replace existing shocks.

** I'm not putting this forward as solution to overloading .. **

but as an alternative to air rides ..

A pair can maintain ride height when up to 1,100 lbs. of additional weight is loaded.

Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I believe this is only necessary on vehicles for business use and would not affect a normal motorhome of any weight.

maybe so but if you have a box trailer on your motorhome you may then become classed as goods and different rules apply

so much as having a shovel in a caravan then deems it to be a goods trailer.

VOSA are doing everything to justify their existence as the haulage industry is running a lot straighter than it used to so roll on this summer when they start on the motorhomes.

they have also had a run on pulling horse boxes coming out of the arenas and asking how they had gone in the competitions to the reply "we got second" they then proceeded to prosecute due to not having appropriate insurance ie. "Not for hire or Reward" apparently if you receive a rosette it is then deemed as a reward.

just a warning nothing more.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
if you are running a trainweight over 7,500kg then tacho and drivers hours are needed. even if private .changed in 2007.

I know you are generally well clued up on this Alan.. but do you have a link ?

I have searched and can't find it..

this info is from UK MotorhomeNet

Does my motorhome need a tachograph?

Having heard from some owners of motorhomes with a GVW of over 7.5 tonnes that they had been told by VOSA that their vehicle must be fitted with a tachograph, we asked the Department for Transport for clarification of the legislation. The following summary has been agreed by the DfT as representing an accurate interpretation of the legislation:

For a motorhome (i.e. a vehicle with the Body Type recorded as 'Motor Caravan' on the V5C and fully fitted out as a motorhome) of any GVW there is no requirement for a speed limiter to be fitted, there is no requirement for a tachograph to be fitted (or if already fitted, to be used), and drivers hours regulations do not apply. In all cases, provided that the vehicle has less than 9 passenger seats and that the vehicle is not used for carrying goods.

'Living Vans', also 'Motor Caravans' of over 3500kg GVW used for carrying goods (for example traders who use their motorhome for carrying stock) are subject to goods vehicle regulations

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I know you are generally well clued up on this Alan.. but do you have a link ?

I have searched and can't find it..

this info is from UK MotorhomeNet

Does my motorhome need a tachograph?

Having heard from some owners of motorhomes with a GVW of over 7.5 tonnes that they had been told by VOSA that their vehicle must be fitted with a tachograph, we asked the Department for Transport for clarification of the legislation. The following summary has been agreed by the DfT as representing an accurate interpretation of the legislation:

For a motorhome (i.e. a vehicle with the Body Type recorded as 'Motor Caravan' on the V5C and fully fitted out as a motorhome) of any GVW there is no requirement for a speed limiter to be fitted, there is no requirement for a tachograph to be fitted (or if already fitted, to be used), and drivers hours regulations do not apply. In all cases, provided that the vehicle has less than 9 passenger seats and that the vehicle is not used for carrying goods.

'Living Vans', also 'Motor Caravans' of over 3500kg GVW used for carrying goods (for example traders who use their motorhome for carrying stock) are subject to goods vehicle regulations

Thats the way I read as it well. When someone made this same comment a while ago on here. The above was all I could find reference this.:thumb:

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Hi boogie, that's great news, so it woul seem the van was probably overloaded.:Doh:

Our previous m/h was an Autosleepers Windsor on which the rear cart spring were permanently flat.

This we overcame by having http://www.as-airsuspension.co.uk/ fitted which cured the spring problem and made the van much better to drive, particularly on corners and in cross winds.

The systems allows you to raise and lower the rear end from within the cab and can also help leveling on site. It does NOT increase your payload however, details of which you can find on a plate under the bonnet & can be checked out on a local weighbridge. (weigh front and rear axles separately)

I note that you are in Cheshire & probably not far from AS-Air Suspension who are at Warrington so it would be worth a visit to get their opinion.

The business is run by Phil & Cath who we found to be very genuine and helpful while providing a brilliant professional service.

Brian

Thank Brian for that! Sounds expensive though?? Any idea on cost? Do you have to do all four corners??

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thank Brian for that! Sounds expensive though?? Any idea on cost? [HI]Do you have to do all four corners[/HI]??

No, the air bags would only be fitted to the rear suspension and would probably cost around £800 + fitting but dependant on your particular chassis.

There are cheaper systems around although not so easy to adjust and I do know that AS would make a good job and not far away from you.

Brian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hope you can read this .its from the 2007 tacho book.
it comes back to this carrying goods bit .a camper ovber 3,500kg is deemed to be carrying goods your non commercial cariage of goods . thats why you need a mid size licence up to 7,5 ton .over that hgv . also you get phg tax . either you accept this or none of the rules make sense.
i spoke to vosa at the time they did laugh and say if they found a camper over 7.5 ton they would not bother to issue anything . too complicated . but if you read the third group down on the exemptions . it does say not exceeding . 7,500kg .
vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissable mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes used for the non commercialcarriage of goods.

Attachments

• img044.jpg
    img044.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 11

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim . i forgot to add that thats eu rules .
if you are exempt eu then you have to follow domestic rules .
they exempt you if you arent connected to a business or a way of earning a living .
but if over 7.5tonnes you arent exempt eu rules so should follow them.
still back to is a motor home a hgv . if not why the licence.

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
No, the air bags would only be fitted to the rear suspension and would probably cost around £800 + fitting but dependant on your particular chassis.

There are cheaper systems around although not so easy to adjust and I do know that AS would make a good job and not far away from you.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Think that's above my budget, but appreciate your help!

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Might this not just be a case of an inexperienced user loading everything at the back of the vehicle, rather than spreading the load more evenly?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
VOSA are doing everything to justify their existence as the haulage industry is running a lot straighter than it used to so roll on this summer when they start on the motorhomes.

they have also had a run on pulling horse boxes coming out of the arenas and asking how they had gone in the competitions to the reply "we got second" they then proceeded to prosecute due to not having appropriate insurance ie. "Not for hire or Reward" apparently if you receive a rosette it is then deemed as a reward.

just a warning nothing more.

Sorry, but that has to be complete B******S. If it were true then driving your vehicle to work would infringe the insurance, especially on payday:ROFLMAO:

Pete:Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in fact many insurers dont allow commuting on there policies .
thats why social domestic and pleasure was invented.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
in fact many insurers dont allow commuting on there policies .
thats why social domestic and pleasure was invented.

That is quite true, but it is something that you would add to a policy to reduce your premiums and would therefore include the word only.

Standard policies include the use of vehicle to and from your normal place of work, unless you request otherwise.

Pete:Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you can add it. but many dont allow it in the first place and quite plainly say not for commuting to work use. had a few stating this over the years . always worth checking the wording . lots of m,home policies state this. just worth checking . dont want anyone caught out.

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Might this not just be a case of an inexperienced user loading everything at the back of the vehicle, rather than spreading the load more evenly?
o

No, he knows what he's doing, but thanks!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back