Suspect or what

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by cobmonster, Jun 26, 2009.

1. cobmonster

cobmonster Read Only Funster

Hi does this sound sus to you?

Last Friday I closed the front gates and then spotted a small white sticker on the motorhome wing mirror with a hand written type of code, it must have been put there in the last five days.
    Today Friday again! I get a ring at the door, traveller type asked if I want to sell the motorhome!!

Did he come to check if anyone was at home? Did he come to check out security?

I have reported both incidents to the Police.

What do you think?

Tony

2. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

Either suspect or they put a new mirror on your van. My new mirror had exactly the same sticker! No traveller tho'.

3. cobmonster

Still got the dead flies from France.:RollEyes:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

very wise move.......

its usual for professional thieves to 'mark' cars for 'removal' to order.

never experienced it but its a well known way for them to get the right one.

dont know what security you have but id double it.

5. cobmonster

Thanks, am I right to believe that you have to have a key to be able to start the Fiat and are not able to hot wire them.

6. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

Or a low-loader!!

7. pappajohn

correct.....there is a transponder in the key which disarms the immobiliser, but it could be towed away if a plain blank key is cut and used to undo the steering lock.

the old generation diesels could be started with one piece of wire and a bit of steel bar or screw driver or spanner in the engine bay or, time permitted, just a spanner.

nuf sed about that though.:Doh:

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

Go on Pappa, spill you guts. Try and get a bit more detailed though :Laughing:

Cheers
    Jim
    :Smile:

9. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Curious! do you do a lot of reversing to get the flys on the mirror?

10. Cavendish

Cavendish Read Only Funster

Could you see the sticker from the road? If so you're definately right to be suspicious. If you can't well I'm not so sure, I'd have thought criminals would only use tags if they were visible to their friend passing by. Travellers have been knocking at my parents door on and off for the last couple of years asking if they want to sell their van. My parents always say no and the van's still there. I hope they don't bother you again though.

11. pappajohn

wire from battery + to fuel cutoff selonoid and spanner across starter seloniod......
    spanner alone.....remove cutoff selonoid plunger and refit cover......wont turn off though, got to stall it.
    i never said that, did i?:Eeek::Doh::Blush:

12. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

Theft

As a rule, they tend to nick caravans for their own use or for resale, not motorhomes, as they are not 'ID'd' in the way that MH & cars are. Its much easier to strip a caravan of any legal ID (no engine numbers & so on). However, I do see them towing their caravans sometimes with MHs but they are usually old ones so am guessing they have paid for them as who would nick an old one!

The above said, I still would not trust them as far as I could throw them! So I would keep an eye out, the house as well! :Angry:

13. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

14. pappajohn

just as i said....:thumb:

A police spokesman said: "This is a well-known technique used by travelling criminals as a way of highlighting certain properties to their criminal associates.

15. cobmonster

Back of the mirror:Doh:

16. cobmonster

Hi the sticker was visible from the road as it was on the back of the mirror. Had other travellers cruising last night also. I wont lose sleep over it but have added more security.:Smile:

17. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

As a few funsters on here know I'm an ex soldier, and this "sticker" was a ruse used by the" opposition" in Ulster, obviously HMF used plain unmarked vehicles for certain "activities".
    One soldier noticed that a few cars and vans had little white stickers on the mirrors obviously placed there by people sympathetic to the "CAUSE" in Ulster as certain HMF locations had civvies working there
    Had it not been for the vigilance of this soldier a lot more vehicles would have been shall we say "targetted" by certain individuals in the province.

I've worded it this way so as not to upset any one all I can say is vigilance is needed and a sign in the window that says...I HAVE A SHOTGUN AND A SHOVEL!!!

18. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

My mates Motorhome was stolen from outside his flat,and he informed the police within ten minutes of it going,they were not interested except to give him an incident number,he was paid out by his insurance company,but as with all claims he was out of pocket.Almost a year to the day that the van was stolen he had a call from Police in Ireland telling him his vehicle had been found with several others in a Gypsy camp in Ireland,he of course told them he had no further interest in the van as it now belonged to the Insurance company.he had forther calls from the Irish Police about the van,but never had one from the English Police at any time.so don't expect much help from our Police if your van goes missing. :Eeek::Eeek:

19. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Shocking! Our local policeman is great but I think most are too overwhelmed with paper form filling,hitting targets and fulfilling initiatives to have time to do their detective work.:Sad:
    Lucille

20. scran

scran Read Only Funster

travellers

i have had them knock on my door and asked if van was for sale it made me suspicious too just rig security lights and camera s up
    :thumb: