SUSPECT HOOKUP LEAD

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mfh27748, Aug 30, 2014.

1. mfh27748

mfh27748 Read Only Funster

HOW CAN I TEST MY HOOKUP LEAD USING A MULTIMETER

2. Phill D

Phill D

diconnect from power supply and the van, put meter on omhs, and with the plug and socket ends side by side test for continuity between pins ( the correct ones that is ), visual inspection of outer surface of cable for damage.

3. Phill D

Phill D

should ask , why you want to test it, whats it not doing?

4. mfh27748

mfh27748 Read Only Funster

Have had a few problems with this particular lead its only 6 months old, when I have been on a hook up and turned the charger on the hook up post trips out try another lead all o.k any suggestions gratefully appreciated

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You can test for continuity with a multi meter but you CANNOT test the insulation, that requires a Megger.. or PAT test meter

but since you had to ask, and I mean no disrespect, have it tested by a qualified electrician .. or buy a new one

• Like Like x 2
  6. Phill D

Phill D

i would remove each end and check loose connections, and as mentioned earlier check for damage to the lead outer. has it been driven over at some stage? you clearly have a short of some description. but your continuity test should show that if the fault is there permanently.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phill D

Phill D

ps; if you cant find the fault and it persists, chuck it! i guess its £25 for a new one and its likely to cost all of that to get it tested.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

The fittings on 99% of leads from accessory shops have little or no sealing, even at a few months old I would not be surprised if it has rusty connections inside

Possibly just a loose connection though, worth a look

I am getting round to changing all the ends on ours to ones with decent screw grips on the incoming cables and remaking cable ends at same time, if needed

When I say I am, what I really mean is our electrician at work is :D

9. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Didn't you just ask the same question on FB? ;) lol

10. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Check connections on BOTH end and make sure the Live Neutral Earth are in their correct position and securely tightened you have some thing obviously tripping to earth,if still a problem remove both plugs and renew the lead .or as mentioned bin it all and buy new

11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

If it's a long lead rather than scrap it cut it in half and retest to find the bit that is faulty and chuck that. Make a new short lead with the good bit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

That's the best advice you will get on this.

I'm sorry but you are wrong there. A multi meter or a continuity lead will not always show an insulation fault

If it turned out to be a manufacturing fault with the cable itself - inner insulation damaged with nothing visible on the outer it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've thrown away more leads than I care to recall.. they can get damaged internally when run over, or can get small cuts that allow water to ingress. This happens predominantly on aires rather than sites where you can usually route the cable behind the van out of harms way. You won't easily spot this with a visual inspection.

If the site RCD is tripping, unplug the cable from the van and reset , if it still trips .. it's a damaged cable.. chuck it..
    Treat your cable with care, wipe clean and inspect every time you pack it away.. and ALWAYS unroll it completely before using.. any extra length lay under the van in large loops.. not coiled up.

If you are away in winter and it snows.. lift it daily above the snow or it will get frozen to the ground, then when you decide to leave you will not be able to get it out .. It happened to me at Aviemore, all I could do was cut the plug and socket off and leave the cable buried.. a lesson learned.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    • Like Like x 1