Surfing Beaches

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by andyman, Jun 2, 2010.

1. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

Anyone got some recomendations for good surfing beaches in the UK. We have been to Woolacombe a few times now and fancy a change. Either a campsite with easy access to the beach or somewhere with a carpark that will take a MH.

Andy

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi Andy, Try North, Scotland has Some cracking surf beaches, One theat springs to mind is Clachtoll beach in the North west. A very nice campsite with excelllent views and nice walks.

3. mejulie

mejulie Read Only Funster

4. kevina

kevina Read Only Funster

Hi Andy

If you like small with few facilities go to Churchtown farm at Gwithian near Hayle where you can walk a few hundred yards over the dunes to the beach. Nearby Gwithian Farm campsite doesn't have direct beach access but has more modern facilities. There is a NT carpark and a local one either side of these 2 sites with access for motorhomes. Excellent surf beach.

If you want entertainment facilities for the family then the much bigger St Ives Bay holiday site 1 mile south (surf a bit smaller) or one of the sites at Perranporth up on the dunes (big walk back up!).

Kev

5. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

If you fancy going farther afield the west coast of Ireland has some good surfing beaches.
    Louisburgh where I live has a couple.

6. cherok

cherok Read Only Funster

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cherok beat me to it gower peninsuler is great. or just follow the coast down.
    you could keep going there is surf at dover if you paddle out to a break water.
    or get the ferry to santander and follow the coast right down to tarifa. we do it the other way in winter .best buy the storm rider guide from one of the surf shops best money you will ever spend .get the europe one it covers maroc as well .never go with out it.
    should have been here yesturday the surf was really big ha ha. not really. cheers alan.

8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

sorry forgot, St Davids in Wales is good with a campsite next to carpark.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Also in Wales,

Newgale with a site across the road from the beach

10. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

11. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Surfing Bitches

Are these who your looking for?

[​IMG]

12. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Coldingham Beach.:thumb:

http://www.stvedas.co.uk/Surfcam.htm

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...noid=zPOakI7YDFXJtj1d_rBuZw&cbp=12,73.54,,0,5

No camping but no one cares, plenty sites close by if you're a woosy though.:Rofl1:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Dc-OcFR_I[/ame]

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hail mam you forot freshwater bay .had some good surf there .did know one of the iow surf club chaps .had a nice pale blue beetle with graphics . met him firrst at fistral in cornwall . good surf on iow.
    cheers alan.

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

still say get storm rider guide by low pressure publications . there are surfing beaches all over uk wales scotland and eire .its the surfers bible. has good maps as well once you get close. roads that arent on normal maps.
    derek spose you cant buy one living where you are ?
    never mind go and fill that bottle .ha ha
    cheers alan.

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Saunton Sands, but then you must have looked at that whilst at Woolacombe, how about Newquay, St Ives lots of good surfing in Devon and Cornwall

16. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

That sounds like Clive Richardson, he had that beetle for years, probably still got it!

I didn`t say anything about the island, `cos it`s crowded enough as it is :BigGrin:

The bay used to be my favourite spot when I was a young surf bum, now it would need to be 70 air and water temp at least to tempt me in.:thumb:

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cant remember his name .i used to have a customized vwt2 van we met all over the place wasnt he chairman of the iow surf club for a while. only looked at some old photos a few weeks ago. i,m going back to early 80,s. .also met a good vw mechanic up noth on the ile.
    one of my mates down here is mates of your aa man on the ile .its a small world .
    if you see clive ask him ,he wont rememmber names but i,m sure he will remember the van. cheers alan.
    i will learn to put photos on one day.

18. deniserobson1

deniserobson1 Read Only Funster

Banff links on the north east coast of Scotland is very good. Council run campsite with immediate access to the beach. If you don't want to use the campsite there is a car park which surfers use (easy big enough for motor homes - we use it lots) which is just a short walk from the beach

19. Smoogy

Smoogy Read Only Funster

Used to live in Newquay so Fistral Beach is the main one there which has various surf championship events during summer months.

Few miles towards Padstow is Watergate Bay also good for surfing with campsites close by but many 'local' surfers tend to go to Mother Iveys Bay as not so busy & surf good.

Smoogy

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i prefer polzeath. surfed it since a kid .i was the youngest voluntary surf life saver there in about 69 before they had payed life guards. i also like gwithien or godrevy near hayle.
    but peniche in portugal is my all time place,next taghazout maroc.roll on winter here we come.