LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My recently installed Sureflow water pump has stopped working - it is the same problem as I had previously - it makes a pumping noise but does not draw up water. I've disconnected the in pipe and put my finger over the hole - there is little suction if at all.

I installed it in August and have used it for about 30 mins since then.

I drained the water from pipes and tanks over the mild winter and it was bone dry in the filter.

Any ideas please?

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
My recently installed Sureflow water pump has stopped working - it is the same problem as I had previously - it makes a pumping noise but does not draw up water. I've disconnected the in pipe and put my finger over the hole - there is little suction if at all.

I drained the water from pipes and tanks over the mild winter and it was bone dry in the filter.

Any ideas please?
Not sure how these work, are they submersible?
Maybe the fact that it was used briefly then allowed to dry out for months has ruined the seal??

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

I drained the water from pipes and tanks over the mild winter and[HI] it was bone dry in the filter. [/HI]

Any ideas please?

Did you remove the filter to drain it and if so are you sure it is screwed fully back onto the pump?

If not, then the pump will draw air in at this point and give the symptoms you describe and will be the same for any connections in the pipework before the pump.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
extremely unlikely its the pump at fault.

it will draw air far easier than water so if there is a leak on the feed side that will need fixing before it works properly.
i doubt you would feel very much air vacuum anyway.

mines been stood without water since end of October and works fine now its been refilled.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The filter is between in the inflow pipe and the pump - it stops crud getting into the pump.

The system stopped working in August so I replaced the pump and it worked fine having been drained several times over the winter. We filled up with water on site yesterday and now, no water is pumped.

I'm not sure why there wouldn't be much section on the pump inflow - I would have expected a little otherwise I couldn't see how it would work. Could you explain more about it?

Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the sureflow diaphragm pump is pretty simple in operation. the motor spins a gear wheel that pushes each of 3 diaphragm chambers in and out in sequence. it relies on there being pressure on the output in order to pump, and continues to pump until either the supply is cut by a microswitch or until the pressure in the output builds to a fixed point set by a pressure switch

what commonly happens is the filter either is loose or cracks allowing any pressure to escape. then the pump cannot build pressure to pump water. on older pumps, the rubber diaphragm get perished and leaks, giving similar symptoms

hope this helps

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
How did you fix it before? You appear not to have posted when you solved the problem (previous thread Broken Link Removed)

Unless the pump is naff then I still recon you have a leak before the pump ... i.e. filter cracked or not fitted correctly or bad pipe joint, assuming of course that the pick-up pipe is under water in the tank.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Last time I replaced the pump which came with new filters. . It seems to have been working fine since. When I unscrewed the filter and put my finger over the inflow, the only effect was a slight change of noise.

My water tank appears to have a pipe entering the top as an inflow. Next that is a pipe that appears to come from the water heater. It has a hard tail into the tankfor approx 3cm.

The only obvious out pipe is the one that is used to drain the tank. I cannot find the out pipe to the pump etc.

On both occasions when it has failed, the tank has been full. I haven't filled it fully since but have used it several times inbetween but have only half filled it.

when draining the water over cold periods, I have not touched the pump. Just emptied the tanks and boiler.

Please excuse the delay in replying. We're near Oban and it is a hike to get a wifi signal on my phone.

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There must be a pick-up pipe in the tank ... unless somehow is has been disconnected!

Try looking in the tank while someone blows into an open tap...(make sure the pump is switched off or the person blowing may get a surprise) ... and you should see / hear where the pick-up is.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Pump not working

When my pump whirred and produced nothing even though the water tank was full, I found that the pickup pipe within the tank had become detached. It was a simple, if horrible, job to drop the water tank, pull out the innards and sort it out! Oh yes, this was done in the middle of an oasis in Morocco!

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks guys. It seems to have beeb sorted now.

I blew down the pipe and confirmed that the pick up was connected. I then sucked water back through the system and must have removed the air lock. It runs fine now.

The pump suction really is very weak but it seems to be enough.

Cheers all :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back