Sureflow water pump problem (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Hi all, I have Shureflow Trail King 7 pump. A couple of nights ago we had near freezing temps in my home area and the boiler auto drain kicked in, the water pump circuit was switched on and it appears that the pump duly emptied what was in the main tank out through the boiler drain. The pump was then running dry until I went to check the van this morning. The pump was still running at this time. I switched it off, refilled main water tank, reset the auto drain etc and switched pump circuit back on, pump runs but no water coming through anywhere - have checked for airlocks etc - website says this pump can be run dry without damage - what's the opinions of those here in the know and are there any further checks I can do before shelling out for a new pump ? Thanks in advance.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have the same pump. They are brilliant and will run for days and days with no water in them. Check your drain taps are closed then put a decent drop of water in your cold water tank and start your pump. Open the tap (on hot water) and wait for the mini explosion of air and water being forced into the system and you should soon have running water. open the cold side and that should run too. If no water! check your filter bowl (near your pump) has not split open due to freezing water. (Remember to drain this down when emptying system for winter).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As Philip says, if it runs it should be OK as it only a rubber diaphragm and a few rubber valves inside.

Once it get water to it you should be away.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I did the same and it was running for almost two weeks !
Still worked fine so I reckon it just need a bit of priming maybe

Might be worth opening a tap and ( although darned awkward ) suck !

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks guys, I have been back out there checking over everything once more, including the sucking and blowing thing ( neighbours getting a bit interested now ! ) I managed to disconnect the outlet side of the pump and nothing coming out - checked the tank pick up pipe and all seems clear there. On the inlet side of the pump is a clear plastic circular housing which I take as being the filter - I really can't see that could be so badly blocked that it is preventing any flow to the pump, but I will try and get it off tomorrow for a better look. The pump is situated in the under seat locker with battery, ebl, solar controller and even bloody seatbelt anchors all around it, every five minute job in there takes about two hours ! Oh the joys of motorhoming

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The clear plastic housing just screws off. (Inside is a wire mesh filter, so clean at same time) If this is OK and you have no water on the outlet side of the pump it's either a blockage of the pump has failed. A new pump is around £60-70. (It's always good to carry a spare anyway!) However, you can get a new head I think which is fundamentally the top bit which contains the diaphragm. It would be a bit odd for the pump to fail at the same time it's just running dry so I would make sure it's getting water going into the inlet side just in case it needs a bit of help priming (I think their self priming anyway).
Best of luck.

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks for that, it is strange cos everything was working perfect until this drain down occurred, just back from 3 months touring Europe and UK with no problems, good water pressure etc, I'll get the filter off tomorrow and take it from there, thx again for help so far.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If the inlet seems clear try removing the outlet. A dry pump & an airlock will stop it & the pump valving works better wet.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it's all dry and drained down it might be worth pulling the pump apart and cleaning all the diaphragm and valves, they can get cruddy.

Martin

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks to both latest replies. Will be buried in the locker tomorrow until I have a solution ! What a great place this is for help & advice - so good I have just paid my subs again :LOL:

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Update ! I have just completed almost a full day in the Davey Jones department and proudly announce that I now have running water again :LOL: The culprit was a collapsed pick up tube in the main water tank. Having dismantled almost the entire contents of the locker to remove the pump it seemed silly not to do some serious maintenance in there before replacing everything in better positions. The pump has been stripped and rebuilt, now running quieter than before, new pick up in water tank, cables and pipes re-routed and whole area cleaned out. Thanks to you guys I am a very happy bunny this evening. I will be thinking of you when I raise my glass this evening.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Update ! I have just completed almost a full day in the Davey Jones department and proudly announce that I now have running water again :LOL: The culprit was a collapsed pick up tube in the main water tank. Having dismantled almost the entire contents of the locker to remove the pump it seemed silly not to do some serious maintenance in there before replacing everything in better positions. The pump has been stripped and rebuilt, now running quieter than before, new pick up in water tank, cables and pipes re-routed and whole area cleaned out. Thanks to you guys I am a very happy bunny this evening. I will be thinking of you when I raise my glass this evening.

Good job done by sounds of, was the pump diaphragm covering in white deposit, when I did ours it was proper grungy.

Martin

OP
OP
Mike4727
Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Hi Martin, yes it was pretty grotty in there, I put it down to the high mineral content in the water here, it was very easy to get clean - just used wine vinegar. To be honest the water tank also needed a thorough clean out and the pick up tube was well coated inside. All in all a great result - thanks again to everyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back