Supplementary Power System Comparison Chart (1 Viewer)

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
After this past weekend without EHU, I have been considering that I may need to add something to top up my batteries. Also the Mrs wants to be able to use her straighteners (gas ones apparently don't do the job :Doh:).

I am in the process of trying to put something together with a scoring system to help way up the pros and cons of solar v suit case generator v fuel cell v fixed generator. Has anyone already put together a comparison chart of the various options ?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
After this past weekend without EHU, I have been considering that I may need to add something to top up my batteries. Also the Mrs wants to be able to use her straighteners (gas ones apparently don't do the job :Doh:).

I am in the process of trying to put something together with a scoring system to help way up the pros and cons of solar v suit case generator v fuel cell v fixed generator. Has anyone already put together a comparison chart of the various options ?
Hi Pablomc,

If you intend to keep the MH for some time yet, I'd go for extra batteries and solar panels.
We have an onboard genny, and it only gets used once or twice a year. I use more petrol on maintenance running, than on actual use. :Doh: If it wasn't a permanent fixture, we wouldn't have it on there at all. :winky:

I am unable to comment on fuel cells, as I have no experience of them.

HTH,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Haven't doen a spreadsheet , but how I see it.

Solar:

Pros:
* Free energy,

Cons
* Only works efficiently in sunlight, of little use in Northern European countries in winter when you most need it most.
* High initial cost of panels and decent sized battery bank

Generator

Pros.
* energy on demand

Cons
* Fuel cost
* Noise

Fuel Cell

Pros
*energy on demand
*silent

Cons

* High initial cost of unit
* Fuel not readily available and fairly expensive.

So, summing up, unless you have money to burn I would discount the fuel cell.

A good sized battery bank and solar panels to match is great for most of the year.. but if planning off grid 365, also have a small 1 or 2kw Honda genny as a back up .. sorted.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A good sized battery bank and solar panels to match is great for most of the year.. but if planning off grid 365, a small 1 or 2kw Honda genny as a back up .. sorted.

That would be my recommendation also.

Look at the efficiency side of the equation as well. things like LED lighting and a grade 2 haircut for the missus will save quite a bit of leccy:ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think that sums it up

Haven't doen a spreadsheet , but how I see it.

Solar:

Pros:
* Free energy,

Cons
* Only works efficiently in sunlight, of little use in Northern European countries in winter when you most need it most.
* High initial cost of panels and decent sized battery bank

Generator

Pros.
* energy on demand

Cons
* Fuel cost
* Noise

Fuel Cell

Pros
*energy on demand
*silent

Cons

* High initial cost of unit
* Fuel not readily available and fairly expensive.

So, summing up, unless you have money to burn I would discount the fuel cell.

A good sized battery bank and solar panels to match is great for most of the year.. but if planning off grid 365, also have a small 1 or 2kw Honda genny as a back up .. sorted.

Just about sums it really..

Bob

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Have discounted a genny as I have no where to store it (too big to fit under bench seats and no garage). Solar was my primary choice, but I cannot convince myself it will be of any use during winter months which is when I will need it most.

Will put the final touches to this spread sheet then share it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another option not listed above is a Vertical Axis Wind Turbine such as the Forgen 500 which Dingray has and the Maplins offering which Snowbird gave us his experiences of last year.

Unlike solar they work at night/in the dark so long as there is wind to turn the blades but they are not a permanent fixture so need to be removed before travel and replaced on site. As with solar there is a high initial cost.

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
OK I have attached a chart which I have put together with a very basic scoring system.

Please note
it is not scientific and very subjective. ::bigsmile:

Had to attach as a doc as excel is not an option.

Attachments

• Comparison Chart.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 45
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I once saw a mouse or some animal runing around in a wheel like apparatus and this experiment was lighting a dolls house lighting circuit. are we talking on the same wave length

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you are not going to use the genny much I would not spend all that extra money on a Honda.. Kipor much less expensive... mine has lasted years... (needs a new float needle at the mo)...

JJ :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OK I have attached a chart which I have put together with a very basic scoring system.

Please note
it is not scientific and very subjective. ::bigsmile:

Had to attach as a doc as excel is not an option.

if you have a mind, you could up load to our downloads section as an excel file

Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That would be my recommendation also.

Look at the efficiency side of the equation as well. things like LED lighting and a grade 2 haircut for the missus will save quite a bit of leccy:ROFLMAO:

Yes, but not everyone has removed their vans roof and completely replaced it with solar panels ! LOL !!!! :ROFLMAO:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
no 12v genny comparison????
will produse 70 amph and needs less running time than a normal genny,so less fuel.:thumb:and cheap:thumb:
and no efficiency comparison the best solar in the world are only 33% efficient

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
if you have a mind, you could up load to our downloads section as an excel file

Link Removed

OK added if anyone wants to play around with it. :thumb:

Link Removed

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
no 12v genny comparison????
will produse 70 amph and needs less running time than a normal genny,so less fuel.:thumb:and cheap:thumb:
and no efficiency comparison the best solar in the world are only 33% efficient

I assume you are talking about the device you built. Is such a device now available on the market?

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
OK I have added a wind turbine and and the Supercharger (12v Generator similar to that which Chris has built).

I must stress the scoring is subjective and is probably biased towards convenience.

Attachments

• Comparison Chart.doc
    36 KB · Views: 19

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Paul would it not be cheaper to send her to the hairdressers for a number 1 cut all over and buy her a wig.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if you mention it to Leanne and i mention it to Lorraine then we could do a comparison chart on their response :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have been thinking of other power source also so very interesting.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Paul would it not be cheaper to send her to the hairdressers for a number 1 cut all over and buy her a wig.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if you mention it to Leanne and i mention it to Lorraine then[HI] we could do a comparison chart on their response[/HI] :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Using internal NHS communications perhaps? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could try making enquireies localto you there as been a few 12v petrol generators going the rounds round here . have thought about them myself . think bt used to use them . or maybe still do. my next door neighbour bought one for 25 quid .
mind i like solar . lots of it . these days its getting cheaper . on ebay in germany and france 99quid for a 80wt panel buy 6 or more . cheap power. almost as chea[p as buying direct from india or china . most bp panels are made in india now . probably have been for yeatrs but with google you can track the factories they will sell direct if you can get enough sales.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
you could try making enquireies localto you there as been a few 12v petrol generators going the rounds round here . have thought about them myself . think bt used to use them . or maybe still do. my next door neighbour bought one for 25 quid .
mind i like solar . lots of it . these days its getting cheaper . on ebay in germany and france 99quid for a 80wt panel buy 6 or more . cheap power. almost as chea[p as buying direct from india or china . most bp panels are made in india now . probably have been for yeatrs but with google you can track the factories they will sell direct if you can get enough sales.
BP are pulling out the solar market as it's over loaded with panels,so expect panels to drop in price,cant remember the figures but there is a market for something like a zillion watts of solar power but the is 2 zillion watts of panels already produced.so BP are pulling the plug on thier production:Smile:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
There are two other options. 1) Is a hand held portable 2 stroke petrol alternator. Used in the outback by ozzies to jump start cars in life threatening situations, it would take very little time, to recharge a battery bank, the item is the size of two car alternators, a sort of strimmer engine strapped to an alternator, they have been about for years and are well tested....unless thats what you are on about when you say "12 volt generator".

2) an idea trialed succsessfully by a recovery company I worked for, two alternators,..one doing the normal job,...one soleley feeding the lesiure battery bank. Most vehciles have somewhere for aircon compressor to sit, THAT is where the second alternator goes, also, the belt used for the aircon model, is used to turn the alternator. The wiring is relativley simple, and to recharge your battery bank, you just run your enging for a while,...quiet, fuel already carried, takes up no space, all parts available readily, a "fit and forget" solution.

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Paul would it not be cheaper to send her to the hairdressers for a number 1 cut all over and buy her a wig.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if you mention it to Leanne and i mention it to Lorraine then we could do a comparison chart on their response :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Using internal NHS communications perhaps? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Will probably need medium. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pablomc

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
There are two other options. 1) Is a hand held portable 2 stroke petrol alternator. Used in the outback by ozzies to jump start cars in life threatening situations, it would take very little time, to recharge a battery bank, the item is the size of two car alternators, a sort of strimmer engine strapped to an alternator, they have been about for years and are well tested....unless thats what you are on about when you say "12 volt generator".

2) an idea trialed succsessfully by a recovery company I worked for, two alternators,..one doing the normal job,...one soleley feeding the lesiure battery bank. Most vehciles have somewhere for aircon compressor to sit, THAT is where the second alternator goes, also, the belt used for the aircon model, is used to turn the alternator. The wiring is relativley simple, and to recharge your battery bank, you just run your enging for a while,...quiet, fuel already carried, takes up no space, all parts available readily, a "fit and forget" solution.

1) Yes that is the type of device we are talking about except 4 stroke. See here.

2) Thats the other but probably not even a need to add an additionally alternator. :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
1) Yes that is the type of device we are talking about except 4 stroke. See here.

£500 all in? WOW that's a rip off if you ask me?

I would rather get a Link Removed and a cheap genny. This way you would have 240V in the van at the same time as the charger was working.

If the 12V supercharger was around £200-300 I may have considered one...

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
£500 all in? WOW that's a rip off if you ask me?

I would rather get a Link Removed and a cheap genny. This way you would have 240V in the van at the same time as the charger was working.

If the 12V supercharger was around £200-300 I may have considered one...
but grommet! if i had bought all the components of the shelf to build my 12v genny it would have been more than £400:Doh:
i think they are too dear, but not a rip off,the best thing is you can source the components cheap and build your own:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a very quick look for an alternator and petrol engine.

to salvage engine from £102 (Comes with frame which may be able to reuse)
Link Removed £57.60

Edited: found better prices easily enough.

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Just had a very quick look for an alternator and petrol engine.

Lawnmower to salvage engine from £154
Alternator £130

I looked for a lawn mower because it was an easier search on google. Bet I could get the engine part down a lot.

The alternator was the first price that came up on google so again should be able to get it a lot lower than that?

If I can be arsed later I will research how much I can can get each part for brand new single unit cost.....
the little honda engine on mine new are £250 inc vat, the alternator would cost £80 new, then you got the pully's x2 £12 each,25mmx25mm box steel for the frame£20 and the belt £8:thumb:
mine cost £37.40 complete:thumb:
bought 2 engines off ebay £70 one almost new, pully's and alternator and box and belt i had laying about:thumb:plus i have my own plasma cutter and mig welder:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry Chris, I must have been editing as you were posting.

Found a standalone engine cheaper Link Removed. £85.
So total for engine and alternator £142... Brand new, one off pricing in stock.

The plasma cutter and mig welder are the key items lol. I don't have any mechanical tools at all...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back