Supermarket parking

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by GJH, Feb 10, 2013.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

A week ago we were discussing restrictions in supermarket car parks on This Thread. As a result I sent the following e-mail to the CEOs/MDs of Aldi, Asda, Lidl, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco and Waitrose.
    So far I've had positive responses from
    Asda
    and Tesco
    I wasn't quite sure what this meant whilst so asked for clarification and was told
    Unfortunately, a negative response from Morrisons
    I've received acknowledgements from Aldi, Sainsburys and Waitrose but nothing yet from Lidl. I'll post their substantive responses when received.

• Like Like x 32
  2. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Be handy to print and keep. Mighthave to give Morrisons a wide berth though.

• Like Like x 6
  3. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi Graham. You are doing a grand job with this. I just wonder if it would be worth a follow up to Morrisons to advise then as we cannot use their car parks that we obviously would not use their shops and that this information is now widely available on the web.

Mike

• Like Like x 9
  4. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

A better appraoch with Morrisons is for as many Funsters as possible e-mail the CEO and say that they are unhappy with the above and they will lose custom if they choose to ignore the issue. At the same time (IMPORTANT) CC the other CEO's at all the other supermarkets, that may well force the issue. :Wink:

• Like Like x 13
  5. Larby

Larby Funster

Well done Graham for taking the time to enquire.
    It does seem foolish of Morrison's but perhaps they don't want to get involved with car-parks as they outsource the administration.

Printing the response of others is worthwhile to challenge the ticket that may still appear.

Thanks

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I think Graham was very proactive in his approach. The problem to a small extent is 'their shops,their rules', nobody is forced to shop at these places.

The problem I have is that in all reality I don't really like any of the above supermarkets but I still buy from them because they have something I want..............food......at a good price.

Now, if I put them on my blacklist (which gets longer as I get older :Blush:) the only one who will really lose is me :Eeek:

So my choice would be to just park wisely and clearly out of the way and then advise the store manager or customer desk of my intentions. Most people will react favourably to this.

I should add that my van (when I get it) is only 6 metres so not a real problem for me, but I used to do the same when towing large trailers behind land rovers.

Not ideal perhaps but a workable solution where the need arises.

:thumb:

7. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I agree let Morissons know the letter they have sent you is being displayed on this and various other websites and could lead to a boycott .
    Let them also know how welcoming the rest of their competitors are.

VLAD.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Strange this response. The only place I have had trouble was in Asda. A parking attendant came across to me and told me I must fit into a single bay. I had to move nearer to the store where they had flower beds and parked my arse over this so that I was within the bay marking.

Last week I went to Morrisons and pulled into a bay right next to the parking attendant. I asked him if I was ok like that. He took a quick look said "yeah fine mate" and wandered off.:thumb:

I never go during busy times however. I either go evenings or on a sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  9. robnchris

robnchris Funster

thanks Graham

Hi Graham, thanks for this all very informative, here in Chester we are lucky in that Tescos out at Broughton Park have acres of parking so no problem with motorhomes, whilst the Sealand estate store is some smaller so parking there isn`t so easy.
    Morrisons on the other hand have tight access in both their Saltney and Chester branch down in Liverpool Road, in fact the Liverpool Road store parking would be impossible for all but the smallest of motorhomes.

Sainsburys over in Huntington again have very tight access so getting motorhome in there would be very difficult.

I would be most interested to know who you wrote to at Morrisons as I would like to write to them also asking the same questions with a view that a customer not catered for is a customer turned away, there is always another store to spend my money in.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 6
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Already done Mike :BigGrin:
    My e-mail went to the CEO, Dalton Philips <dalton.philips@morrisonsplc.co.uk>. The response came from someone in his office called Julie Shaw <customerservice@morrisonsplc.co.uk>.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

You have to laugh at the Morrisons reply...they don't even bother separating the last two sentences to reduce the impact, which can be summarised as:

"Tough sh*t.....by the way, hope you keep shopping with us..." :RollEyes:

And if they say:
    are they not contradicting that by ignoring motorhome-sized vehicles?

I think they might be going on my list of shops/brands to avoid if possible....which seems to getting longer by the day :Angry:

• Like Like x 2
  12. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I think the Morrison CEO gave a similar answer when it was interviewed after the meeting at DEFRA about the 'Horsemeat' affair,it was very verbose!
    But what a good promotion for the other stores.
    I do think that a personal approach to each individual store manager via customer service could help. it may also build up a list of friendly stores and areas(which GJH may be willing to collate),which may be of interest to local tourist offices.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Whilst I'm disappointed with Morrisons answer it does just apply to those stores where there are restrictions in place. Those with no restrictions (such as our local one at Teesside Park) are still available for us.

Store (or rather, Duty) managers may well be amenable to individual approaches at the time when parking is required but I don't think they would risk a written response without involving the central customer service team.

• Like Like x 3
  14. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Graham, your efforts are greatly appreciated.
    However......
    I'm a bit sceptical regarding the value of e mailing CEOs on issues like this, or indeed on any issue.
    All replies on the parking issue have been "on behalf of the CEO" or from the "CEOs team". None directly from the CEO.
    Do they really give a stuff?
    Do they need to?
    If MHs dont visit a given store due to space issues and continue not visiting because we boycott them, what have they lost?
    Nothing. They dont give a toss. We arent talking mega numbers of customers in the great scheme of things.
    Vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In this case, yes, all replies on the parking issue have been "on behalf of the CEO" or from the "CEOs team". However, as I posted on another thread a little while ago, it aries between companies. I've had replies from CEOs in some cases, even on a Sunday. ShiftZZ has as well - and even a phone call from one.

In general, e-mailing a CEO (even if they do not deal with it themselves) takes you to a team with power to do more than just follow a script, which is what the "customer services" teams in many companies are stuck with.

For run of the mill matters I will happily go to a customer services team but where something is out of the ordinary (such as motorhome parking) or something has gone badly wrong then e-mailing the CEO has tended to work in practice.

• Like Like x 8
  16. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Thanks for the info, Graham.
    I wasnt knocking your efforts, far from it.
    I've never had the need, that;s all.
    Almost, on one occasion, but it was avoided.
    Stand by what I said though, vote with your feet, possibly pointing the customer service set ups to forums like this one.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Just a thought Graham, because I am not as ariculate as you or sure what to do, would it be any help if like a template email and addresses to send them to.

Perhaps then if as many of us as wanted could send e mails to the companies and then print the possitive e mails and carry them with us could help.

• Like Like x 5
  18. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Dont worry about any 'parking tickets'.

Most of these supermarkets employ private parking firms who have NO authority to issue fines.

That being said. We generally find a bay on the edge of the car park so we can overhang some greenery and stay out of the way of the doorside bays.

• Like Like x 6
  19. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I have been carrying out a personal boycott of ASDA following a parking issue at their Pudsey store.
    I haven't brought them to their knees yet :BigGrin: but I have the satisfaction that they aren't getting my couple of hundred quid every week. Their parking is enforced by Leeds City Council.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Printing the answers I received, from this thread, should be sufficient but anyone who wishes to is welcome to copy the e-mail I sent (in the OP) and send it in. CEE e-mail addresses can be found at http://www.ceoemail.com/.

• Like Like x 4