Sundance 630L Rotten Floor

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Les Simpson, May 9, 2016.

1. Les Simpson

Les Simpson

216 Bankhead Road Bucksburn Aberdeen AB21 9HR
    I have a 2007 reg Sundance 630L and the complete floor is rotten.
    Has anyone replaced this floor DIY or are there any repair workshops in the uk willing to rectify the problem.
    If it is possible DIY who can supply the flooring ?
    It has only 16000 miles on the clock and is not quite ready for scrapyard yet.
    Sad choice for a £42000 Motorhome from Swift.
    I purchased it with 900 miles on the clock for my retirement and now this.
    Would appreciate any feedback.

Regards,
    Les Simpson

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Situation normal, do a search on here for many many horror stories.

DIY is possible if you are good. It's not rocket science.

Many commiserations, you'll have many similar sufferers who will say the same.

3. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Sorry to hear that news.hopefully someone can advise.
    Can you change your avatar details as you've put your full address on ? Or @Jim will help.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

You say the complete floor is rotten You need to establish why it has rotten, has it rotted from the bottom or top? If from the top it's are the walls damp and has it travelled down to the floor.
    I wouldn't expect it to be rotten on both sides as the floor is a lamination of ply & an insulation core.

Are you sure it is rotten and not just delaminated that would make it spongy to walk on, if delamination it is a fairly easy DIY fix just a case of drills holes and injecting a resin.

Unfortunately par for the course with UK built vans.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Baggers53

Baggers53 Funster

I have a Bessacarr e425, 2006 vintage, 26k miles.
    The floor by the habitation door was completely rotten. I took a multi tool to it and cut all the rot out.
    I cut it out to the frame on the side of the van and the frame about 2ft in, to give me solid metal to build on.
    It was then replaced with marine ply, in four offset layers to give me a solid floor. I wanted this to so that
    the electric step had a solid floor to attach too.
    Other areas of the floor had delamination and I bought a resin to inject into holes drilled about 3 to 4 inch apart
    on a grid pattern to solve this.
    All is good now..... it takes time but it can be done....good luck with yours

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. 2bob

2bob Funster

hi i have a 2005 sundance same happen to me floor all round about 6to 8inch in the probplem is the skirt was seald so the water runs down then seeps in and up the walls

HOPE YOU SITTING DOWN cost me £5500
    look on web soggy floor

8. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

I'm sure there are threads on here were swift acknowledged there was a problem with some floors somthing to do with the skirts causing this and they did sort a lot of vans out at there cost . any Funster remember this ? and if there are any links to help the OP . Regards Kate

• Like Like x 3
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

on the bottom, underside layer of ply, you need to use phenolic ply, which is resin impregnated to make it waterproof. then a sandwich of dense insulation foam and topped off with a quality marine plywood. the job though is very labour intensive, as you need to replace it in sections and that means dismantling sections of the inside and rebuilding again afterwards. If you pay a firm to do it, expect a bill of £5000 to £6000

10. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

So sorry that you have only just found this out. I had a 2005 630l and I discovered the fault back in 2009. Back then Swift were rectifying the fault at their own cost.
    Their were so many cases. The fault was caused by a plastic coated plywood.
    The water ingress occurred between the skirt and the side walls and into the floor where it could not dry out.
    The shame is that I don't think Swift now accept any more responsibility because of the time frame.
    Good luck in getting it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Hi firstly Les welcome,I am very sorry to hear of your predicament.
    You will read good information on here as per previous posts from folk who have repaired similar vans themselves and also the story of a repair costing £5.5k,do your research and the best of luck for a speedy solution.

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Have you contacted the dealer or was it a private buy ?

If dealer you may have redress..
    • If you purchased your goods from 1 October 2015 then the Consumer Rights Act applies.
    • If you purchased your goods on or before 30 September 2015 then the Sale of Goods Act will apply.
    The Sale of Goods Act gives consumers some rights to refunds or free repairs for up to six years after the purchase of an item,

Citizens Advice Bureau can advise..

If Private buy.. stuffed..

13. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I've noticed part of the floor of our 2005 CI has gone slightly soft in the last year or two. I'd better get my friendly mobile service engineer to take a look on his next visit. Ho hum.

14. 2bob

2bob Funster

HI LS this is what iv had done

As you are aware we have had to carry out very much more work than was anticipated .

The damp and rot of the floor that had been originally found by all of us extended further into the floor structure and so more rotted material had to be removed.

Under the sink unit we found that the floor ply and timber was damaged rearwards to and including the side door step , up the side wall within the sink unit and then across the floor past the main chassis members.

At the offside front the rot of the inside and outside floor ply extended inboard and the water tank and the metal frame for the seat restraints had to be removed to ensure that all of the rotten timber and ply was removed . The side wall was also affected.

Within the rear nearside seat base we found that a previous repair had been made but not very well and so we had to remove that material and make good and then the rotten timber and floor ply forward to the wheel arch.

The side wall in this area was also affected and replaced.

The floor at the rear offside was replaced .

We have removed and sealed both sets of side skirts . The prime reason for the water ingress and subsequent rot along and into the floor is that the side skirts were not sealed and so when water ran behind the skirts it then penetrated the edge of the floor and could not escape or dry out because of the vinyl finish that had been applied to the floor from new.

We are finding more examples of water ingress in these areas on other customers vehicles.