Sun (UV) stained plastics in bathroom (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi can anyone help. The white plastic shower tray and other plastic parts in the washroom area of our Hymer Exsis 572 has been badly discoloured by uv rays from the sun through the skylight. Is there any way of removing this colouration, re-coating the plastic, or do we just have to live with it? Other motorhoming folks must have or had or have this problem. . . . . . . . . Or is it only me?

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I am very surprised that the sun should have discoloured the plastic in such a short time (2008 Hymer) especially as it's not direct or strong sunlight. And, what sun? We don't get that much here!:Sad:
Could it be cleaning products that have stained the plastic?
Or is the plastic naturally off-white?
Mike:Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I had 2 Hymers in the past and both had the same problem, ie yellowing of the white plastic, not only in the Bathroom but also around the cab area.

It's a problem, not unknown by Hymer owners, especially when they have spent time in warmer climes than the UK.

I did quite a bit of research but did not come up with a suitable solution and just lived with it.

I heard that on some models, Hymer had replaced the plastic trims under an extended warranty, but I've never met anyone who had it done.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I had floor and basin in my bathroom replaced under normal warranty. It went yellow in 2 years and at first we just thought it happened, but when I mentioned it to Brownhills Preston, they contacted Hymer for me. They were back to me in a week to get the van booked in.

I got the impression that it depended where the mouldings had been manufactured as there was an issue with UV stabilisation, certainly Brownhills acted on it immediately, all I did was email a photo. My van is 2009.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We visited brownhills when they where at Preston and they had brand new Hymers with this problem and where selling them at a discount, also looked at a 2008 secondhand one last month with the same problem and the sales guy tried to tell me this was the colour they came new.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back