summer/winter exterior cab covers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Scattycat, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question.

I've seen front exterior screen covers advertised for summer/winter use, silver for the summer and on the reverse a matt grey material for winter use and they appear to be more expensive than those just sold as either summer or winter ones

I understand having a silver reflective material on the outside for the summer to help keep the inside cooler but would the silver summer ones be just as effective in the winter to keep the heat in and reducing condensation? :Smile:

or have I missed something? :Doh:

2. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

We have Silver Screens and they are the same material both sides, we have used them in very hot weather to keep the cab cool as well as warm in the winter and they are just as efficient either way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T Funster

ditto, they are very effective.

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Silverscreens - silver on the outside, silver on the inside (padded insulation in the middle). Excellent product for cold weather and in hot sunshine - never travel without them. Ours will only fit one way round.

5. Ipetchey

Ipetchey Read Only Funster

Also Taylor Made.....[silver on the outside, silver on the inside (padded insulation in the middle). Excellent product for cold weather and in hot sunshine - never travel without them. Ours will only fit one way round.]

6. teknik155

teknik155 Funster

summer/winter covers

Are you talking about the silver internal screens. These are bright silver and some people use one or the other. Personally I use both ( at Newark this year I used both at the same time Brrrrr), the inner one I use if I'm wild camping to facilitate a quick getaway without having to get out with drunks or others around

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

In a word...No.

summer screens are for reflecting the sun and have very little thermal qualities.

winter screens are thermal insulators and do little to reflect the sun.

anything on the internal glass will cause condensation overnight as the glass will be slightly cooler than the vans interior......unless you have a lot of ventilation.

poor ventilation and a couple of people breathing for 8 hours or so will cause condensation no matter what.

we use to get a lot on the back wall of the van as we slept at the back...to the point of wet patches on the pillows where they touched the wall.