Summacut D620 plotter software? (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
What programs support printing to a plotter I know Corel draw did in past versions are there any other graphics packages that support plotters or stand alone sign making software preferably shareware.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Assuming you mean the old pen plotter standards/styles, I think you'll be lucky to find any modern software which supports them. We obtained one when we first started printing family trees some 14 years ago and it was difficult enough then.

In general (if not totally) pen plotters have been replaced by large format inkjet printers these days and software publishers don't go to the trouble of writing drivers for the older machines.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is that a print and cut machine? If so you may well struggle to print directly to it from any graphics package. You might be able to find a RIP that will talk to it but almost certainly not for free.

Have you tried here for drivers: http://www.summa.be/html_en/support/downloads.php As well as the drivers there are downloads there for Adobe Illustrator plugins so you may be able to get it going with that. Not cheap though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Assuming you mean the old pen plotter standards/styles, I think you'll be lucky to find any modern software which supports them. We obtained one when we first started printing family trees some 14 years ago and it was difficult enough then.

In general (if not totally) pen plotters have been replaced by large format inkjet printers these days and software publishers don't go to the trouble of writing drivers for the older machines.
it is a vinyl cutter/plotter and can be used with a pen as well.

Is that a print and cut machine? If so you may well struggle to print directly to it from any graphics package. You might be able to find a RIP that will talk to it but almost certainly not for free.

Have you tried here for drivers: http://www.summa.be/html_en/support/downloads.php As well as the drivers there are downloads there for Adobe Illustrator plugins so you may be able to get it going with that. Not cheap though.
Thanks for that I do have an early copy of Adobe illustrator (for win 95 I think)
Will have to have a hunt many thanks for the link.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
it is a vinyl cutter/plotter and can be used with a pen as well.

Thanks for that I do have an early copy of Adobe illustrator (for win 95 I think)
Will have to have a hunt many thanks for the link.

With mine there is a plugin for Illustrator for defining cut paths. Illustrator won't do it on it's own. That's step one.

The second thing you will need to sort out is how the machine wants print files sent to it. That's where the RIP package comes in on modern print/cut machines - you can't print directly to any of them, the finished pdf or tif or whatever file then has to be ripped into whatever format the printer works in.

Slightly OT and you probably already know but never try and print native Illustrator (or Photoshop for that matter) files. You need to export them as hi res pdfs or save them as an uncompressed graphics format (TIFF etc)

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well making some progress, from the summa site I downloaded winplot which should sort me out.
I loaded a win95 version of Illustrator7 onto my laptop (win 7 proff)and produced a sign, and saved it in the three formats that winplot is able to read. EPS, AI and PDF. Then tried importing to winplot, as you mentioned above only the PDF appears to be the correct flavour. Next job is sorting the lappy/plotter connection cable. I'll have a go at that tomorrow. At least half the job done, well maybe, hee hee Cheers for the link NickNic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back