Sulfur.. Explosive risk??

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by mjltigger, Dec 15, 2015.

1. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

New panic. Lots of sweary words..

So our Em said yesterday as she left for work... 'There's a beeping coming from the Campervan' .. left it till today because busy.. just went out and it was the carbon monoxide alarm and there was a stink in the van.. the older of the two batteries is hissing and bubbling.. I turned the charger off and left it to it's own devices but I'm wondering if there's a risk of fire leaving it like that...

Background. Zig charger went US. Bought a more powerful three stage amperor unit and replaced on Sunday. All worked well and left to charve the batteries.

So.. is the gassing just a normal but extreme side effect of the three stage charging getting the plates clean or is the battery broken and either way what's the safest thing to do now.. Leave alone until it settles or get the broken battery out quick..

I'm assuming I need to replace at least the hissing battery if not both but if you can tell me some science that will make me brave enough to tty charging it again I am willing to listen..

Off to Germany on Friday so need to get moving if I'm replacing g the battery(ies)

2. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Gassing enough to set off the CO alarm is definitely not normal and a serious explosion risk.
    New batteries called for.

3. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

As you have disconnected the mains charger it is safe for now.

4. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi, same thing happened to my van result2 boiled batteries and resulting stink 2 new batterys from batterymegastore problem solved, old batterys were very hot and close to being dangerous to touch they were that hot

5. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

OK thanks for quick replies. Only the hissing battery is hot and it isn't too hot to touch so will just get one new one.. time to start shopping around.

6. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

Agreed. Gassing to that extent is serious and liberates large qua ties of Hydrogen.

Was the battery hot as well.

Suggest let everything cool and switch on the new charger and check the voltage on the batteries.

The charger should float the Batteries when fully charged at 2.24 volts per cell. A 12 volt battery has 6 cells therefore 13.44. Many car alternators charge at around 13.75 volts.

It's possible your batteries are past it or the charger is running amok.

7. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Two new batteries would be much better than one. :)
    Cheap prices and next day delivery if you buy online from batterymegastore or others online.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You should ideally have age/type/size matched batteries, replacing just the older one that's gone kaput could be a false economy - the new one will be more efficient that the remaining one and I believe in some instances an older one can reduce the efficiency of them both.

9. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Best guess is one battery failed (internal short) causing original ZIG unit charger to fail (it just puts an extraordinary load on the charger) . By replacing the charger with a new one you have been pushing power into a dud battery hence the gassing/fizzing/stinking. Now its switched off leave it for 24 hours before you disconnect the bad battery. probably safest to replace both batteries unless you know the other is less than 12 months old.

D.

• Like Like x 3
  10. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Thanks all..the other battery was new about 4 months ago so although it will no doubt have been abused by being connected to the old one, I'm happy to pair it with a new for a few months..

Bit concerned I might have to get one from halfrauds as the delivery from online places seems to be up to 9pm by which time I will be en route to Folkestone.

11. Minxy Girl

If you don't particularly need 2 leisure batteries at the moment, why not just disconnect the gubbings for the second one for now and sort it out when you get back.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

How good is your start battery? Is it worth changing that one for the nearly new one?
    In the past I have wondered how battery's in Germany compare on price.

13. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

The start battery is good but not a known quantity. The crank power of the leisure battery is probably too low as well.

I have deisel heating and I'm not sure if I will get hook up at the weekend so a little paranoid about it.. Probably just order this one

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/252163056823?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368&_mwBanner=1#shpCntId

And if it doesnt arrive before I leave just risk it...

14. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

old battery will reduce the life of the new battery , best to get a pair

15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Battery Megastore in Tewksbury offers next day delivery by 6pm. They are a good supplier. If the delivery is still a bit tight, try ringing them and see if you could collect - not that far from Trowbridge.
    http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

As Dave Newell said....leave 24hrs before disconnecting.

If the battery is still gassing a single spark when you disconnect could cause the battery to explode resulting in serious acid burns

• Like Like x 1
  17. Minxy Girl

A leisure battery isn't meant to be used as a starter battery, they are two different types.

18. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Thanks. I looked at theirs and their budget 110ah looks about the same spec as the eBay one for a tenner more.. both offer next day delivery 'where possible' so either is a risk.. and Tewkesbury is an hour and a half away in the opposite direction to the tunnel unfortunately..

19. rosalan

rosalan Funster

I think that the alarm should be enough warning of imminent danger.
    Failed battery MUST go.
    Leisure and starter batteries are not the same thing.

20. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Your Ebay link is the same company - Battery Megastore. They sell a lot through their Ebay shop. Normally the prices are pretty much the same. I bought 2x Varta LFD90 from them at the beginning of 2015 - ordered over the phone - same price as on Ebay.