Suitcase Satellite Dishes (1 Viewer)

alan.watson

Free Member
Sep 21, 2009
Funster No
Does anyone own a Suitcase Satellite Dish in their Motorhome - and especially do they have any experience of using it to receive TV (in English !!) in France.

Most seem to have very small dishes and I wonder about Reception - even if accurately positioned.

Any recommendations of specific models would be appreciated as well.

Last year we did the entire Boxed Sets of Michael Palin and a few others as all we could get on our normal ariel was French language channels when we were in Western France - hence looking at Satellite !!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For what it worth no specific model is any better than the other they all work, extremely fiddly to set up until you master them, so long as its under stood that when panning for a signal a fraction of an inch on the dish is miles up in space, you will succeed in there use maximum of 3-5 Min's on a good day
Hrs and Hrs if you do it wrong
As for France very limited use 100 miles inland you start to struggle
There will be someone come on and say that as far down as Morocco they get Corrie
Experiences differ wildly
also some one will come on and say they cant get owt in there back yard
My interpretation of them
UK --OK they work well for what they are
France and beyond, be grateful for what you get:thumb:

Geo

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Agree with Geo on this - they do work -son in law has one that he uses when necessary and once set up is OK but France emm could be difficult to get a good signal without a lot of fiddle even 100 miles inland - depends so much on your temper !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
OK, I am really thick, but can you explain that for me?

the satellites are up in the sky and the dish is pointing up in the sky presumably, so how does it affect reception whether you are on the French coast or 200 miles inland? In fact, how does it matter which country you are in?

Please believe me, I am not saying you are wrong, but I genuinely do not understand the logic.

thanks for the anticipated education :thumb:

David

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
OK, I am really thick, but can you explain that for me?

the satellites are up in the sky and the dish is pointing up in the sky presumably, so how does it affect reception whether you are on the French coast or 200 miles inland? In fact, how does it matter which country you are in?

Please believe me, I am not saying you are wrong, but I genuinely do not understand the logic.

thanks for the anticipated education :thumb:

David

It's all down to footprints. If they aim a signal at the UK in the UK will be OK, but venture outside the UK and signal will be weaker.

Have a look at Sat & PC guys web site for some more info http://www.satandpcguy.com/

The further away the larger dish you will need to get a decent signal, and a more accurate line up on the elevation (up & down) and the Azimuth (side to side). Even the un-level motorhome can affect your signal.

As the old saying goes practice will make perfect, but don't expect to get Corrie in S Spain with a suitcase setup.

I had one before my Camos & always got Astra 2 but not many of the channels on there, it depends what you are happy with.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cor thats a heavy site to wade through Keith:Doh:but very informative
in a nut shell the satellite beams down signals in a very oddly shaped cone aimed at the Uk
the signal ie weaker at the edges
the cone also extends into France a little at the edges, ergo a weak signal
different TV stations broadcast using stronger or weaker signals thats why you can only get some not all
with a suitecase dish dependand on temper threshhold you may get nowt:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
Ps Keith I heard you were hijacked near newark and all they stole was your Suitecase Sat, is that right:RollEyes:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Cor thats a heavy site to wade through Keith:Doh:but very informative
in a nut shell the satellite beams down signals in a very oddly shaped cone aimed at the Uk
the signal ie weaker at the edges
the cone also extends into France a little at the edges, ergo a weak signal
different TV stations broadcast using stronger or weaker signals thats why you can only get some not all
with a suitecase dish dependand on temper threshhold you may get nowt:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
Ps Keith I heard you were hijacked near newark and all they stole was your Suitecase Sat, is that right:RollEyes:

Yes Geo, at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with previous regarding size of dish .

However, the suitcase kits usually have 12v digital receivers, couple this to a 60cm domestic dish and off you go .. so it's worth looking for a second hand kit just for the receiver. The dish can be either mounted on your ladder or on a home made tripod .. or even a post beside your pitch.

This will get Astra 2D , the UK Channels down to southern France.. and parts of Northern Spain..

In Spain a 60cm dish will pick up Astra Southern beam, as already mention , has a few English channels, BBC News, True movies etc .. Check Astra sites for complete station listings and footprints.

Someone mentioned Morocco .. :winky: well, you can receive Nile Sat which has many English movies with Arab subtitles.. no corrie I'm afraid. but thats a bonus :roflmto:

If your not particular about it being 12v, you can buy a 230v digital reciever for as little as £30 from Maplins Link Removed

I eventually fitted a Maxview crank-up and still used the receiver from the suitcase kit..

When I sold the RV I kept the receiver and now use it at home coupled to a redundant Skye dish ..

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We have a Maxview suitcase system and have used it successfully in France with a Sky box.

We found it much easier to set up than the Maxview portable 66cm dish. Larger dishes need more accurate 'pointing' - the smaller dish is more tolerant and locks on the satellite quickly.

We have now had a dome fitted so the Maxview suitcase is up for sale if anyone is interested .............:thumb:

OP
OP
A

alan.watson

Free Member
Sep 21, 2009
Funster No
Everyone thanks for input so far - incidentally - what are you looking to get for your Maxview Suitcase and whats included ?

We have a Maxview suitcase system and have used it successfully in France with a Sky box.

We found it much easier to set up than the Maxview portable 66cm dish. Larger dishes need more accurate 'pointing' - the smaller dish is more tolerant and locks on the satellite quickly.

We have now had a dome fitted so the Maxview suitcase is up for sale if anyone is interested .............:thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Alan
I Had a Maxview 66cm dish and the full kit tripod etc, Sometimes I got a picture UK in no time at all but others I gave in and put it away in disgust mostly at myself for not getting anything. I bought a £10.00 TV Ariel from Wilkinson's which I mount a my bike rack up to now its not failed to pick up all the channels in the UK.
When we go to Spain I take a large dish which just goes under the fixed bed It usually works well down south, I have not tried France as we are normally on the move and just watch DVD'S if we want to watch something.
When we go to Spain we are pitched up for longer periods so well worth the effort to find a signal, I did buy a suit case system once over but took it back to Lidl as I lost patience with it in our back garden lol. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back