joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
A cyclist taking the primary position, as identified in the official government guidance booklet (oh yes there is one) http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/cyclists-why-do-they-ride-in-the-middle-of-the-road-_62617 would not be guilty of any offence under Section 137 of the 1980 Highways Act to which you refer.

Wrong I'm referring to a cyclist that's causing an obstruction by his/her road position or low speed not one that's just riding in the middle of the road

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I feel if two vehicles are using the roads it behaves both drivers/riders/cyclists to pay attention, be vigilant and show consideration. be visible. Indicate clearly and if you are the one that's most vulnerable, be ultra careful.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Over here 2 , or more, cyclists are classed legally as a car. At weekend s when you come across the cycling club practising & there is 50+ of then you are expected to overtake as if you are overtaking 25+ cars. In the event of an accident you are deemed to be at fault unless you can prove otherwise. that's why you use cameras.

But that is Spain and Spain is different to us eg a frames.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I must have missed you joining, do we have another sloberdoberbob on board? :)

I'm afraid I'm fairly new here and therefore ignorant to the context, would you care to enlighten me?

56 posts and mostly on cycling by the looks of it :whistle:

Really? As many as that, and I've burned 2 of them on a cycling thread (well, 3 now I guess)? I must learn some self control... ;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I'm a newbie to this forum but to be honest I think this thread is a poor reflection on the forum as a whole.. can we all calm down a bit....

This subject is so very emotive it is difficult to see that both sides have valid arguments and feel strongly.

It is an absolute fact that ALL cyclists are perfect, and ALL car / van drivers are perfect ! ;)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Glad I came late to this thread. As a cyclist, not a lycra lout, I think all road users should have a bit of respect for the more vulnerable on two wheels. However, the aggressive attitude of some lycra loving posters on here gives support to the antipathy many road users feel towards cyclists in general. Thanks for that!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Highway Code Introduction:

"Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence."

The post you refer to in post 7 is a "should" therefore not to follow it is not illegal - it is an advisory. Don't get me wrong on most occasions when riding with others we will single out to let traffic past, if however it is a blind bend on a narrow road we will not, indeed if riding on my own I will actually ride wide so that the vehicle behind cannot overtake me. The reason I do this is on too many occasions cars have tried to overtake me, met an oncoming vehicle halfway through overtake, moved back in and taken me out, on one such occasion I was hospitalised. The Highway Code should be read in conjunction with other official advice from HM Gov http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/book.html

Looks like you are following the thread title .On a cycle your perception of the road and traffic conditions could be entirely different to that of the driver who may well be seeing things from a different height and certainly will have planned his maneuvre based on his perception in advance of you blocking his path and to do that is dangerous and irresponsible.

As a cyclist myself it is an action that I would probably only carry out on my way to the Samaritans.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm afraid I'm fairly new here and therefore ignorant to the context, would you care to enlighten me?.

sloberdoberbob, name conjured up from possibly his own name and his very large dog, was our very own forum solicitor and would often be helpful with his opinions on matters legal .No longer subscribing. Your forum name suggests . . .

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
sloberdoberbob, name conjured up from possibly his own name and his very large dog, was our very own forum solicitor and would often be helpful with his opinions on matters legal .No longer subscribing. Your forum name suggests . . .

I'm afraid I have no connection with the legal trade, and therefore can be of no official assistance in related matters. To be candid, I just love the character from "The Fast Show" who is my forum name/avatar.

Oh, and I'm also partial to a drink or three, somewhat consistent with said character! :)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Rowley Birkin QC, a retired barrister, tells mostly unintelligible stories at the fireside. Occasionally, his speech becomes coherent for a short while, containing strange phrases such as "The whole thing was made completely out of matchsticks" or "Snake! Snake!" Almost always ends his stories with a sly "I'm afraid I was very, very drunk"

All of the attributes of a real "Funster"

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
and never the twain shall meet.........the arrogance off drivers ( which cyclists on here are obviously one) absolutely astonishing!lol

But it's nice to see even with diametrically opposing views they can be discussed reasonably cordially....far different for the last forum I was a member of... All have a nice weekend - what's left of it :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Did you know you have to have a tax disc for a mobility scooter? Even though you have no number plate and no where to stick it....well, that's repeatable anyhow! ;)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Did you know you have to have a tax disc for a mobility scooter? Even though you have no number plate and no where to stick it....well, that's repeatable anyhow! ;)

Didn't know that.
Do they require insurance?
Should do.
I've almost been run over by these things more often than cyclists, which is saying something.
When you remonstrate with these scooter riders, many of them just shout "disabled!", as if that alone gives right of way over everything.
Bit like many cyclists, really.
Same level of arrogance.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Didn't know that.
Should do.
I've almost been run over by these things more often than cyclists, which is saying something.
When you remonstrate with these scooter riders, many of them just shout "disabled!", as if that alone gives right of way over everything.
Same level of arrogance.

Yes, well some of them are no more disabled than I am!
General household insurance is all that's needed.
The tax disc is not paid for, by the way. Actually don't quite know how that will work now tax discs are no longer required.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
when I was is spain last year a bloke on site said he was walking around town and came upon a bar with loads of mobility scooters parked up outside...Had a look inside as was music on... all were up dancing! not one sitting down:whistle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Didn't know that.
Should do.
Same level of arrogance.

It's Sunday today most cyclists will be out on their bikes so we need to pick on somebody else.

Beast keep off the roads:rolleyes:

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You cannot license your mobility scooter at a Post Office branch or by using the Electronic Vehicle Licensing service.

Who can use a class 3 mobility scooter?
There is no law that states that you have to be a registered disabled person to use a mobility scooter. However, you do need to need one in order to use one. In other words, you need to have a physical disability, injury or medical condition that means you experience difficulty walking.

A disabled person may not use a mobility scooter if they are under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication that affects their driving ability and judgement. If you are in any doubt about this final point, it is imperative that you raise the issue with your doctor.

There are some exceptional circumstances in which a non-disabled person is permitted to use a mobility scooter. These are:

• If the person is demonstrating the vehicle to a prospective user prior to sale
  • If the person is training a disabled person to use the vehicle
  • If the person is taking the vehicle to a place of maintenance or repair

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Usually we have packs of cyclists going noisily past the house, shouting and swearing at each other....not seen or heard one today. Must be the weather!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Usually we have packs of cyclists going noisily past the house, shouting and swearing at each other....not seen or heard one today. Must be the weather!

Yes we get them too every week end , they seem happy , a healthy hobby.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Don't even get me started on horse riders, usually women talking to each other as their nags plod along the highway. They seem to have no understanding of others around them.
:wait: OOOH! Just had to intervene and say that not all lady horse riders do that. In fact like all good road users, most of us pay a lot of attention to what is going on around us purely because we love our horses enough to keep them safe on the roads and respect the needs of other road users enough to recognise their right to a safe journey. It's a shame to judge us all by the actions of the irresponsible few you may have encountered. I think that particular sentiment can be applied to car drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and any other category of road user. We're not all bad. :oops2: Oh dear! my first rant on funsters - sorry :smiley: off to do penance and find my sense of humour again ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back