Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Strikes me that some of the cyclists on here don't regularly cycle (or drive) in London or some of our other cities... Its cycle carnage and mayhem... The roads were built for cars.. Not cycles. (no.. they were)
Cycling's great but there needs to be proper cycle lanes to protect cyclists and just as importantly.. laws that they use them.
There is a demo in London today in memory of cyclists killed on the roads.. Very sad and needless

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
15 mph on a bicycle!

Cripes!

Only in my dreams...

When I am driving, cyclists and pedestrians are a bloody nuisance.

When I am walking, cyclists and motorists are a bloody nuisance.

When I am cycling, pedestrians and motorists are a bloody nuisance.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I don't quite understand the comment someone made about cyclists holding up the traffic behind then not being safe for the other traffic.

I don't understand why everyone dropping their speed would not be safe?

Just because the limit is 30 or 40 whatever, doesn't mean it's unsafe to travel slower than that, at times, does it?
Well, I think there are two sorts of cyclist. First type are just happy to cycle, enjoy the roadside, the flowers, the scenery. You normally see them stop at traffic lights, They are fully aware of their surroundings, and realising they are vulnerable, they exercise care and consideration towards other road users. Top marks to them.........Then the other set. Bums in the air, wearing Lycra and Spitfire pilots goggles, they proceed at a fast pace, fixed on winning that allusive yellow jersey they have seen on the telly. They give not a jot as to just where they are, how they are riding, or just how side-winds are blowing their ultra light bikes around. They never use hand signals, and unlike most other road users, they neither pay for the privilege of using the highways, nor are they insured. Not bothering to stop at traffic lights, or at stop junctions, they cut on the inside of standing traffic, often giving car mirrors a friendly 'pat'. Also, they have this dexterous way of giving drivers the two fingered sign as they overtake. (y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I think pot holes have a lot to do with road positions of cyclists, motorbikes and mopeds. Fall in them and you will be cycling in Australia!

But yes cyclists do hog the road. They cycle along chatting away to each other. They come round bends, on country lanes, into the face of on coming traffic. Its happened to us more than once. They are a menace in some circumstances. What is a motorist to do. If the cyclist is hit by a car it's always the motorist that is at fault. Cyclists need to realise they are much more vulnerable and should cycle appropriately. Don't always blame the motorist.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Never mind the cyclist what about the walkers.
When we leave our home its often only a matter of a few minutes before we are driving along country lanes most without footpaths or lighting. Particularly at dusk we often (too bloody often) come across walkers wearing dark clothing who can't be seen not until your almost on top of them that is and that includes men, women & kids. What happened to the ads encouraging people to wear light coloured clothing and those floresent arm bands everyone (with any sense) used to wear when walking in the dark

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Here in London earlier this year 6 or so cyclists were killed in a very short period of time most by large vehicles .. An awfull situation.
Tfl.. Who run transport things on London put extra cycle lanes in and in one high risk area... The bow flyover/ roundabout they redesigned the roundabout to protect cyclists.. Its quite a thorough job.
But still... Every morning and evening there are cyclists using the narrow 2 Lane flyover over the roundabout. Lots dont wear reflective... They block a lane... They don't all have lights... And it's extremely dangerous for them... Its this attitude that annoys me.
Responsibility is as important as educating a driver to check his mirrors.

Hmm I'm ranting now... But its important.. People die.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
The bow flyover/ roundabout they redesigned the roundabout to protect cyclists..
And here is why the TfL solution is held in poor regard by cyclists, the redesign still not provide cyclist-specific traffic lights as were recommended by Broken Link Removed before Superhighway 2 was built, but the recommendations of expert consultants, cyclists and pedestrians have been ignored. TfL / Mayor Boris continues to prioritise motor traffic flow over cycling and pedestrian safety, and because of there will be more deaths on the road.

This is why cyclists ride defensively.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't understand why everyone dropping their speed would not be safe?

Just because the limit is 30 or 40 whatever, doesn't mean it's unsafe to travel slower than that, at times, does it?

As long as you aren't on a driving test. You fail for
"not keeping up with traffic".:(

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
How do you ride 'defensively' when you are less then an eighth the weight of a car?
By riding wide / two abreast on narrow country lanes when it is not safe for other vehicles to overtake you.

So you there you go, I have answered your question, so how about answering some of mine:

When is it illegal to ride abreast and how are the roads paid for?

Or are you just a troll who makes statements not based on any factual evidence?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think pot holes have a lot to do with road positions of cyclists, motorbikes and mopeds. Fall in them and you will be cycling in Australia!

But yes cyclists do hog the road. They cycle along chatting away to each other. They come round bends, on country lanes, into the face of on coming traffic. Its happened to us more than once. They are a menace in some circumstances. What is a motorist to do. If the cyclist is hit by a car it's always the motorist that is at fault. Cyclists need to realise they are much more vulnerable and should cycle appropriately. Don't always blame the motorist.

But there is no law of "strict liability" in the UK. its the only way attitudes to cyclists will be forced to change...

The state of the roads why we now ride MTB's..

Yes there are shite cyclists about, but who is more dangerous, a vulnerable cyclist or 2 tons of metal driven by a late for work/appointment motorist.

There was talk of changing light priority to let cyclists get away early like in some other countries..can you imagine the fit of jelousy/apoplexy that will come from car driver then!lol The suicidal rush to the next set of red lights is bonkers + environmentally damaging. No wonder cyclists jump lights! I certainly do if safe to do so....its called SELF PRESERVATION?:rolleyes:

I would like to live in a country that was safe for children to cycle to school alone...It happens Europe wide...we live in the dark ages in the UK. its pretty clear from attitudes on here situation not going to change anytime soon......

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well it strikes me, that there ought to be a cycle -riding test you should have to pass before you can go on the public highway on one - cos (amongst other things) you know that there Highway Code thing, it's meant for all of us isn't it? and one of the things it tells us all we must have, is consideration for other road users. Doesn't matter what vehicle they are, how young or old, whether they are on a bike or a horse or on Shanks's Pony. If they are gonna use the ruddy road - they should heed it.

I cannot imagine that proficient road cyclists could object to that.

I also think bikes themselves should have a periodic test of road-worthiness. After all everything else (well not people or horses, BUT) that goes on the road has to - so why not bikes?

And pedestrians .... where there is no pavement, you are supposed to walk to face the oncoming traffic, not whichever side you want to ! The idea being, in dark clothing and wearing a hat/hood - at least there is something oncoming traffic can see. OK, I've had one nasty shock in my life taking a driving lesson years and years ago in Handsworth of all places - and at the last minute we saw a flash of TEETH and both did an emergency stop. Dual control car - me and the instructor both nearly went through the screen from the inside.

That winter he insisted on me taking lessons both in fog and on ice/snow - I hated the Canadian bar steward at the time, but I have thanked him since many times and still think his answer on the latter occasion whilst I was doing hill-starts on hard-packed snow and asked him why he was making me do this, in this weather? amusing - that all women should be able to drive in weather like that, so on New Year's Eve when you're out and your husband has had too much to drink but you haven't, you can throw him in the boot and both get home safely !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have miles and miles of cycle ways in our area, presumably built at some considerable cost,but the cyclists seem to prefer the roads for some reason!

Do we? Possibly they don't go where the cyclists want to go.

I thought lucky you having miles and miles of cycle ways I wonder where he lives, Oh Teesside that's where we are? (Well Guisborough). Where are the cycle ways, up Ormsby bank about 18 inches wide with cars parked in the way and then just stops when the road becomes too narrow.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Just because someone has a different view about cyclists doesn't mean they are a troll...
As for who pays for the roads.. The government do through taxes.. All car drivers have to pay tax.. Not all cyclists do.
Two abreast... Apart from it being a bit annoying it's not illegal is it.. (imho just underlines some if the poor 'you owe us' attitudes demonstrated by some cyclists in London.

.. Grr.. I'm ranting again

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Just because someone has a different view about cyclists doesn't mean they are a troll...
As for who pays for the roads.. The government do through taxes.. All car drivers have to pay tax.. Not all cyclists do.
Two abreast... Apart from it being a bit annoying it's not illegal is it.. (imho just underlines some if the poor 'you owe us' attitudes demonstrated by some cyclists in London.

.. Grr.. I'm ranting again
Tootles made a number of untrue statement's, when challenged they failed to substantiate - that's a troll in my book.

Regarding tax - it comes from general taxation - again read Toots earlier post.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Both my kids did cycle proficiency courses, what responsible parent wouldn't

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
No wonder cyclists jump lights! I certainly do if safe to do so....its called SELF PRESERVATION?:rolleyes:

It may be safe to do so but in the end it just reinforces motorists' views that some cyclists consider themselves above the law.............

You can't have it both ways.......

:)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tootles made a number of untrue statement's, when challenged they failed to substantiate - that's a troll in my book.

Regarding tax - it comes from general taxation - again read Toots earlier post.
All car drivers pay tax.... Not all cyclists do.. (don't worry if you don't acknowledge that.. I won't think your trolling (y))

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
...No wonder cyclists jump lights! I certainly do if safe to do so....its called SELF PRESERVATION?:rolleyes:

I would like to live in a country that was safe for children to cycle to school alone

Both my kids did cycle proficiency courses, what responsible parent wouldn't

To then learn from their "responsible" parents behaviour that it is perfectly acceptable to ride through red lights, because they are cyclists and that will preserve their safety. Yeah right, until they do so at the wrong junction and get hit by a motor vehicle or plough into a vulnerable pedestrian. Presumably they won't be at fault though, because they are cycling and the others should have been more observant and tolerant, if not proactively expecting them to jump the lights in the name of self preservation by "riding defensively" through said red light.

If you are a vehicle on the road you are subject to the rules governing use of those roads, it's hypocritical to claim otherwise and then accuse other road users of inconsideration or driving unsafely.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
On the bus watching the crazy unlit swerving death wish cyclists in the city..
So..
Roads are for cyclists
Car drivers are to blame for.... Anything
Cycle lanes just aren't good enough
Cyclists don't have to obey the same laws as car drivers
The extra tax that car drivers pay in road fund licence and fuel.. Not to mention vat is something we don't talk about.. Seems you just want play some little point scoring game..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back