LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Oh dear, looking at the top of this page I find I am responsible for pushing this to eleven pages.

Can I ask Jim to close this thread before we all fall out with each other? We are not going to agree so let's call it a draw.

There is a much more life-enriching thread elsewhere about toilets I can recommend!

Is it not normally the loosing side offer a draw :whistle: :)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Graham drives a truck so are you saying he is a pratt and he also owns an RV so he is a pratt again.
I can assure you in the RV he has much better vision of cyclists coming up the inside as we are left hand drive.
In the truck they have a warning sign on the back of the lorry saying no undertaking and it has a picture of a
pushbike on it. All he can say is they can not read and are also color blind as he see many shooting across red
lights.

Did this thread not start with reference to an incident on a country road? I see no reference to red lights!

I think you are mixing up sports and country cyclists with city couriers and commuters!

I stand by my opinions, If you don't command road space, a car, van, truck or even an RV will disregard you as another vehicle and not give you a wide enough berth.

I am both a professional driver and a cyclist and mature enough to see this argument from both sides.
People on both sides of this debate are equally to blame for collisions when mutual respect and respect for the law is not observed.

paulkearnusic

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
since 1992
Had a similar experience, RV towing a car with a load of lycra clad cyclists hove into view down the narrow Devon roads. Personally, I don't really let it bother me much. There's nowhere I need to be in such a hurry that I would risk anyone's life over - so I probably followed them for a mile or so until I could pull out safely to overtake. It was cold, spitting with rain and grey. I was sat comfortable, warm and dry and they were pumping their bums up and down in the cold and wet. I guess that, on balance, I had the better part of the deal.
Living on the hilly narrow north Devon coast one learns a lot of patience when in the driving seat - especially when driving such a massive vehicle train.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
... It was cold, spitting with rain and grey. I was sat comfortable, warm and dry and they were pumping their bums up and down in the cold and wet. I guess that, on balance, I had the better part of the deal.

Ah, but they were out there by choice. They could have been at home or in the pub or doing any one of a thousand other things but they chose to be out on their bikes.
The joys of cycling are hard to explain to those who cannot see the light :)

And, as you say 'There's nowhere I need to be in such a hurry that I would risk anyone's life over' ; that's the attitude that makes everyone's life just that little bit better (y)

paulkearnusic

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
since 1992
Ah, but they were out there by choice. They could have been at home or in the pub or doing any one of a thousand other things but they chose to be out on their bikes.
The joys of cycling are hard to explain to those who cannot see the light

It's like that other great oxymoron in life 'fun run' - now there's two words that should never be seen in the same sentence :lipssealed:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The joys of cycling are hard to explain to those who cannot see the light :)

And, as you say 'There's nowhere I need to be in such a hurry that I would risk anyone's life over' ; that's the attitude that makes everyone's life just that little bit better (y)

Why do so many cyclists jump red lights or undertake large vehicles then?

Just a thought :whistle:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Why do so many cyclists jump red lights or undertake large vehicles then?

Just a thought :whistle:

Ha!
I'm not falling for that - it's far too beautiful a day to have an argument on the internet.
The sun is shining low on the last of the autumn leaves and I'm just going for a fast ten miles through the forest.

Probably knock over a few deaf old ramblers, crush a few squirrels and disturb the hibernating hedgehogs then burst out of the hedgerow onto the main road and grab a tow from the back of a lorry into town for a ride around the pedestrianised centre.

A day well seized, I'd say (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Set out from home yesterday in RV with car in tow, all up around 45 ft. C classified quite narrow road , torrential rain, considerable laying water and subsequent poor visibility.
Two cycling enthusiasts in lycra ahead riding two abreast, they didnt look to see who wants to overtake and refused to give up their "right" to half of the road and just moved tighter together.
I hooted more than once and in the end overtook them with reasonable clearance but just how unnessarily dangerous. :Eeek:
And if it had been a tractor with muck spreader behind traveling at the same speed as the cyclists, would this have caused the same anger or something one would expect when driving a 45 ft vehicle and trailer down a C classified road. Are you sure this is not a resentment to young fit males able to look good in Lycra while riding a racing bike. :whistle:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
coming to the end if a 6 week stay in Benidorm the other year, with lots of lovely trouble free - no anxiety cycling. Riding back from town, UK motorhome decides to cut me up and nearly had me off. this a 2 a week incident in London, but this individual was towing a bike trailer. + he must have seen me as it was RHD (IF he was using his mirrors :))

yet to see even a bad cyclists antics causing the death of a motorist!....:coffee:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
And if it had been a tractor with muck spreader behind traveling at the same speed as the cyclists, would this have caused the same anger or something one would expect when driving a 45 ft vehicle and trailer down a C classified road. Are you sure this is not a resentment to young fit males able to look good in Lycra while riding a racing bike. :whistle:

They're not all fit young males you see loads of these at the local cycling centre and on the canal tow path.:eek::eek::eek:

FatCyclist.jpg

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

If you read my original post Buttons , there was no anger or impatience expressed, it was the fact that in very poor conditions I wanted to give the cyclists the chance of going single file for added safety. I was able to give safe adequate clearance and on a straight piece of road completed the overtake.
What I don't understand is the need for cyclists to refuse to ride single file when conditions dictate, we certainly do when cycling.
What a weird assumption that I resent young fit cyclists, I have reached a mature age perhaps by being considerate to others, with their selfish attitude on the roads they may not.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ha!
I'm not falling for that - it's far too beautiful a day to have an argument on the internet.
The sun is shining low on the last of the autumn leaves and I'm just going for a fast ten miles through the forest.

Probably knock over a few deaf old ramblers, crush a few squirrels and disturb the hibernating hedgehogs then burst out of the hedgerow onto the main road and grab a tow from the back of a lorry into town for a ride around the pedestrianised centre.

A day well seized, I'd say (y)

You live in London then and must be a bike courier :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back