Suggestions please - sticky situation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by WynandJean, Apr 20, 2011.

1. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Morning all. Just back from our first real jaunt this season, about which more later. I'm giving the M/H a good spring clean. There are two stickers on the bodywork which I would like to remove. One is the inflamable substance diamond which has faded so badly that it cannot be seen and the other is the German "Wasser" sticker over the water inlet. It's become very tatty and needs replacing. What can I use to release them from the surface without causing damage. Presumably the heat gun I use to strip paint from the back door would not be recommended!
    Wyn

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

how much can you peel off? I peeled mine off and then used a hair dryer to get the glue off along with a bit of sticky stuff remover. The LPG diamond, I simply bought a new one from Ebay and put it over the top:thumb:

3. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

one way is lots and lots of water and something gently abrasive like one of those (green nylon type) pan scrubbers (not a brillo) to rub the paper part off gently, then panel wipe or nail varnish remover to remove the glue

4. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Meths might help - not drinking it though :Smile:. Let it soak in behind the label and peel off bit by bit.

John

5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I like sticky stuff remover from Lakeland (nice orange smell) or at the weekend this was a topic being discussed and WD40 was the recommended product to use. Nothing scratchy! Just patience, time and a little elbow grease along with one of the products mentioned plus a soft cloth or some kitchen roll. Jane :Smile:

6. Terry

Terry Funster

After spending 2 days removing ambulance stickers -use a heat gun / hair dryer then if you don't have sticky stuff remover - petrol works a treat :thumb: honestly it removes the glue :Wink:
    terry

7. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

I use isopropanol available from a chemist. Test on an insignificant area first but it shouldn't affect the surface. Remove the label and use the the isopropanol on a cotton rag to remove the glue. Much safer than petrol and evaporates fairly quickly.

8. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

ok, the wackiest idea.......

On how clean is your house the other day they used mayonaise, yes you did read correct.
    She spread it on some stickers, left it to soak in for an hour or so then used a plastic spatular and slid it under the sticker and it just fell off.

I had to look at it again to believe it, but it did work. worth a try while making a nice salad sarnie to sit out side with whilst waiting for it to work....

Please do let us know if you go with this idea as i want to know if it really does work...

Cheers Cheyne

9. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

You could also try....COOKING OIL...this also works on removing the "beam benders" from your headlights

10. acting_strange

acting_strange

This has to be done carefully but.....boiling water will soften the glue and allow them to be peeled off...then you usually have to remove the glue thats left...:thumb::thumb:

11. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

The stickers will be vinyl based, so no paper to soften and rub off, plus, if you have an aluminium body it won`t take long to rub right through the paint! :Doh:

Heat gun or hair dryer, you will only need to waft it over the area, not too close, and don`t burn your fingers :BigGrin:, peel the sticker off and remove the glue residue, if any, with anything spirit based, white spirit and a soft cloth will do it and not harm the paint surface.

12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Thank you all for your ideas on this. I am pleased to say that the job is now satisfactorily completed. It was done using WD40 and the use of my right thumb nail - I was going to try the meths but it tasted too good to waste! :BigGrin:

Wyn

13. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

"Hair dryer just to warm the label,..... not too close,.....peel the sticker off and remove the glue residue, if any, with anything spirit based, white spirit and a soft cloth will do it and should not harm the paint surface":thumb:

I would use the above....................

14. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

You beat me to it!
    But, being upper crust, I was going to recommend olive oil :RollEyes:
    Cooking oil is much more sensible and the same thing ...
    I never was sensible with money :Doh:

15. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I could also have added... lighter fuel. As used in the old fashioned lighters. My Mother always thought that it was the best stuff to use to remove the sticky residue after a sticky plaster had been removed! I am also allergic to the glue used on the stretchy Elastoplast so the whole experience was not the nicest..... 'Don't go hurting yourself again' was, no doubt, ringing in my ears :Rofl1: Jane :Smile:

P.S. That was dellwood33 that mentioned the WD40 to me.