Suggestions On New Motorhome Upgrade Please (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This looks inteesting, whats the build quality like on a auto roller . where are they made?
I'm sure they are made in Italy.
Yes they are . Also sure that they were originally C.T.P who mae my Granduca ( many years ago!)
& additionally the Autoroller/Rollerteam are part of the
Auto Trail VR Ltd, Group.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
need to go to Germany/Belgium

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You have six growing kids. A six berth under 4500kg will not have sufficient payload.
The Argos gives you EVERYTHING you specified, including that across the aisle washroom. It's the only layout which gives proper privacy for family members to do their ablutions without kicking everyone else out of the van.
There are also plenty of them about, making it a buyers market.
I know someone who sold to a dealer after a year trying unsuccessfully sell his. Family vans are slow movers over here in the predominantly grey UK marketplace.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111646578121&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web

Last edited:
OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
need to go to Germany/Belgium
Had a quick look on mobile.de, didn't see much of a saving unless buying new, maybe im not looking at the right site??
You have six growing kids. A six berth under 4500kg will not have sufficient payload.
The Argos gives you EVERYTHING you specified, including that across the aisle washroom. It's the only layout which gives proper privacy for family members to do their ablutions without kicking everyone else out of the van.
There are also plenty of them about, making it a buyers market.
I know someone who sold to a dealer after a year trying unsuccessfully sell his. Family vans are slow movers over here in the predominantly grey UK marketplace.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=111646578121&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web
Yes it seems so far that the Argos is the way to go, we had a look at one over the weekend but it was on the old shape 2006, absolutely loved it so the newer one will be even better im sure ,,,, here it is Broken Link Removed, if we could get something similer but newer id be happy. Newer ones have larger fridge which is a must have for us.

What is it with 2007/9 all motorhomes seemed to have horrible navy blue interiors !!

Not sure there are plenty about but ive come across a few, why did your friend have trouble selling if it was so good??

2 on ebay that I was watching in the llast few days have already sold.

Ill have to post seperatly asking for info on these.

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
For me, the issue with the Argos is that two of your kids HAVE to share a bed.

If OP chooses a layout with rear singles or bunks, at least everyone gets their own bed.

This euramobil would work

http://www.whichmotorhome.co.uk/oaktree/?listing=2009-09-euramobil-820-eb-3-0-mjtd-6-speed
Thanks MOHO, just had a look at these, cant find many examples of them though, I see where you are coming from but I have 3 boys , 1,3 and 4 and a girl of 7, they all sleep above the cab together, the day will come when daughter want her own bed but that's easily solved with the argos . Also I like to stay up later than the Mrs so she can go off down the back while im still up in the lounge area, but not ruling it out yet

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Thanks everyone so far this has all been a great help, keep the suggestions coming

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to have a Rimor Sailer 645TC low profile (same as a Rimor Superbrig but without an overcab bed) and the quality was excellent, probably the best finished of all the MHs we've ever had ... and we've had a few! The only draw back is lack of support in the UK and the need to have a 6 monthly damp check which is a nuisance, that's if you can get hold of one anyway.

Have you considered having a rear lounge and front dinette model instead of a rear bed? This would give you 2 areas for day-time use, one for you and one for the kids, rather than all of you being squished into one lounging area?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
7 747 Argos models on here. If you want new contact me as I know a good dealer. or whatevr other model you fancy..

Eddie

Broken Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Not many families have the 40k plus needed to buy a s/h Argos!
We have a six berth family van, we know we are in it for the long term. We won't really have much chance of a cash sale until it is over 10 years old.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
just looked at 747. it only has 5 belted seat from looking at photos? you need a double and single dinette to get belted seats for all

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I need 6/7 berth for me, wife and 4 kids under 8.

The medium/long term view is dodgy. They will sell you 6 seatbelts but whether or not the MH can carry 6 people and all the needed paraphernalia needs checking. Those 4 little ones will be putting on weight quite quickly.

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
Hi Mate,

i am in the same boat 4 kids, looking for a van to fit us all in :) i prefer rear lounge. i noticed you had a tag axle, ever any problems getting in sites?? Do you do wild camping with the family?? I'm a total newbie so any advice greatly appreciated...

I am currently looking at the bessacarr 496, but my friend pushing me to go for a kon tiki... (deal for 2, 3 if you fancy one lol ;))

I am looking at brand new...

I plan to hire it out a little bit too and use it at PR and events for my company. (I have heard the perils of this guys, Its not my home just a holiday van.)

Let us know what you are thinking off so far...

Cheers

Scott

sgooduk

Free Member
Jun 13, 2015
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
none
P.S I had a look at the rollerteam 707, was very very basic..... Dark inside too and mega cramped round the forward dinette area...
Best price I could get Rollerteam new with loads of options, basically all of them including auto, winter pack etc.. was 48k (3.5k off list) september delivery from a dealer in scotland.

Rimor not seen 2015 model yet, my friend has one 2006 transit cab model, he bought it in italy brand new and drove it over..
The superbrig seems a well spec'd van and good price, but again has cramped dinette config - doesn't bother him has he only has 2 kids and if you take down the small dinette table it opens up the space. :)

I am going to go view the superbrig at Hull this week sometime hopefully just to make sure ;) They do look a little more luxurious than the rollerteam. The cheaper 6 berth rimor, has no payload at 3500kg. the Super brig is 3650 from memory if you specify 6 or 7 travelling seats. still not much.... :(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Here we go again :) ..looking at wrong vans? Need to be looking at 5000kg plus. For 6 and their stuff....,Probably need a tag

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
747-2 definitely has four travel seats in the back, all with 3 point belts.

Looked at some more in link i posted and your right! Some nice looking recent used

should be able to get on road here for under £50k

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
We used to have a Rimor Sailer 645TC low profile (same as a Rimor Superbrig but without an overcab bed) and the quality was excellent, probably the best finished of all the MHs we've ever had ... and we've had a few! The only draw back is lack of support in the UK and the need to have a 6 monthly damp check which is a nuisance, that's if you can get hold of one anyway.

Have you considered having a rear lounge and front dinette model instead of a rear bed? This would give you 2 areas for day-time use, one for you and one for the kids, rather than all of you being squished into one lounging area?
Have thought about it but to be honest my lot are a messy lot and if I didn't have somewhere to put them and their stuff it would drive me crazy in the daytime

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Looked at some more in link i posted and your right! Some nice looking recent used

should be able to get on road here for under £50k
Aiming at 40k for my budget, don't want to even spend that to be honest but I will if I have to.

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
7 747 Argos models on here. If you want new contact me as I know a good dealer. or whatevr other model you fancy..

Eddie

Broken Link Removed
Have had a look but as I said in an earlier post they don't seem much cheaper in Europe unless they are new or near new, looking at an 07 one in your link is still the same 40k that they are here and that's LHD etc , or am I missing something? I did see that the 13 plates are only another 10k on top but I cant justify it to myself let alone the wife

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Hi Mate,

i am in the same boat 4 kids, looking for a van to fit us all in :) i prefer rear lounge. i noticed you had a tag axle, ever any problems getting in sites?? Do you do wild camping with the family?? I'm a total newbie so any advice greatly appreciated...

I am currently looking at the bessacarr 496, but my friend pushing me to go for a kon tiki... (deal for 2, 3 if you fancy one lol ;))

I am looking at brand new...

I plan to hire it out a little bit too and use it at PR and events for my company. (I have heard the perils of this guys, Its not my home just a holiday van.)

Let us know what you are thinking off so far...

Cheers

Scott
Hi Scott yes we have a tag axle chieftain already and love the size, its our first proper motorhome so probably wouldn't be able to live with anything smaller now as we have been spoilt by it. Previously I built a self build transit to see if we like moterhomeing and we did. We soon outgrew the transit, I was going to do another selfbuild but this Chieftain came up.

Never been a problem on sites so far, we use the family sites, park resorts etc as the wife thinks the kids cant live without 6 foot bunnys and ducks etc hence the answer no to the wildcamping so far but I do intend to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back