Suggestions On New Motorhome Upgrade Please (1 Viewer)

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
thinking of upgrading our 1996 Autotrail chieftain next year, looking for suggestions on what to go for, doesnt necessarily have to be an autotrail.
I need 6/7 berth for me, wife and 4 kids under 8. Need proper seatbelts in all 4 rear seats (currently have lap belts which i dont like the idea of.) Need a fixed rear double in separate bedroom in the rear and overcab double. LEZ compliant.
If you can suggest any makes or models for me to look at it would be much appreciated

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Burstner elegance 821 tag axle all you need. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Auto roller 707 has 6 belted seats, 2 rearward facing. It has rear bunks, huge and I mean huge overcab and a dinette that turns into a double. It also has a single dinette that makes a 7th berth for a child. No rear separate bedroom though.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Hi Martin - you really need an American style RV in your life that has been / can be LPG'd.

Trust me ;)

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Sorry missed that bit only four belted seats. Think you need a RV
Thanks Mike, although I like the look of th RV's I was tuned off by parts availability and cost, should have also mentioned I dont want an A class for the same reason. Nothing that would upset me more than arriving in France on holiday and something going wrong i.e broken windscreen and it would then ruin the trip waiting for a replacement

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The Chausson C516, C626 and C636 all have 6 belted seats. Not sure if any of these models would suit but parts are easily available in France where they are built. Spares for ours after the storm damage came from France :)

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Martin - with that many people all growing space will be a your friend. That's why I suggested an RV. I get what you're saying about parts etc, but the truth is you'll soon outgrow a normal MH. Heck We had our VW camper for 10 years and once two kids came we realised we needed more room for them to grow and even with a compact A Class I reckon we'll need something bigger in 5-8 years so the kids can have their own beds. I suppose it depends on how long you want to 'future proof' it for.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Truthfully, it's probably not what I'd buy but only because I'm a fussy so and so. I'm only happy will a solidly built van, not sure the Rimor meets my standard, but may suit others...

The Rimor is spacious, a practical layout and very modern interior - also very cheap for a new / nearly new van.

Another option would be a Laika 3002 Kreos on an Iveco base.
I've viewed a couple, cabinets and bathroom aren't quite as solid as the Hymer, however body and chassis are tank like. Lots of storage and clever design features.
We didn't purchase for a couple of minor issues and often wonder if I made the right decision !

It's one of the few vans I've really taken a shine too. One recently came up for sale about 300miles from home. Quite fortunate as it stopped me from getting excited and consider changing (we are happy with ours and only had it a year or so).
They are very popular with Italian (large) families.

Here's a link to the one I was looking at, was initially listed for 32k, seller dropped advertised price to 28k, have no idea on what it actually sold for.
Broken Link Removed

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This looks inteesting, whats the build quality like on a auto roller . where are they made?

Hi Martin

Sorry I don't really know anything about them other than what I able gleaned from the Google search.

Martin

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Broken Link Removed
these have everything you asked for but have bunk beds instead of the fixed rear bed.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Truthfully, it's probably not what I'd buy but only because I'm a fussy so and so. I'm only happy will a solidly built van, not sure the Rimor meets my standard, but may suit others...

The Rimor is spacious, a practical layout and very modern interior - also very cheap for a new / nearly new van.

Another option would be a Laika 3002 Kreos on an Iveco base.
I've viewed a couple, cabinets and bathroom aren't quite as solid as the Hymer, however body and chassis are tank like. Lots of storage and clever design features.
We didn't purchase for a couple of minor issues and often wonder if I made the right decision !

It's one of the few vans I've really taken a shine too. One recently came up for sale about 300miles from home. Quite fortunate as it stopped me from getting excited and consider changing (we are happy with ours and only had it a year or so).
They are very popular with Italian (large) families.

Here's a link to the one I was looking at, was initially listed for 32k, seller dropped advertised price to 28k, have no idea on what it actually sold for.
Broken Link Removed

Lakia up there along with other quality German vans, its an Italian company and part of Hymer group I believe? it would be one to look at I would think, beautiful one on site I was on in Spain recently..just looked quality.....

Lots of kreos for sale on mobile.de website if happy with a LHD import. Payload is going to be your main concern, assuming you can drive over 3500 kg? as If you cant I cant see it working to be honest! A class tend to be lighter and more roomy for a given length, so payloads better. (I'm looking at small A class at the moment) In your situation I would not discount anything.

list: Broken Link Removed

http://www.laika.it/en

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I then searched for vans that sleep 7+ as if I selected 6 berth it didn't look like they all had seat belts for 6 and there were hundreds!

Hymer: Broken Link Removed

Dethleff; Broken Link Removed

list: Broken Link Removed

trawling through list should give you a good idea of whats around anyway..

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Just be careful with German conversions as they're crap*

* I couldn't resist and I'm just kidding ;-)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back