Suggestions for used motorhome

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Janeymonica, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Janeymonica

Janeymonica Funster

Hi,

We are looking to buy our first motorhome for an initial 3 month tour of Europe. Its for my husband, our 8 month old and I so we need at least 3 belted seats.

We are thinking of getting a 6 berth motorhome and like the rear U shape lounge with the front dinette.

It needs to have a MGW under 3,500kg due to license restrictions. Our budget is 20-25,000 pounds.

Does anyone have any recommendations for vehicles which may meet our needs?

What is the best way to work out a particular model's MGW if its not listed in the ad?

Thanks very much!

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You are unlikely to get a usable 6 berth under 3500kg. There might be a few out there but not many.

If you don't need to sleep 6 why bother trying to? You'll find it much easier to find a 4 berth with a U shaped lounge that works at 3500.

If the max weight isn't in the ad just ask the question. There's no way you can work it out. Just because a van came out of the factory at a particular weight doesn't mean it's still at that weight.

Can't recommend any particular vans I'm afraid. We like the opposite: a fixed island bed is a must for us.

3. Janeymonica

Janeymonica Funster

Cheers Nick, we were thinking we needed the extra space so that we could still have some space when baby is sleeping at the back, but maybe that's not necessary after all - husband is googling 4 berth options as type!

4. NickNic

Also remember that you need to take any quoted MIRO weights and payloads with a massive pinch of salt.

Any dealer that says they can sell you a 3500kg 6 berth with an 800kg payload is almost certainly lying through their teeth (y)

Insist on a new/very recent weigh bridge ticket.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Janeymonica

Janeymonica Funster

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the advice!

Just looking online I can't find any 4 berth vehicles with 3 (or more) travelling seats which also have a u shape rear lounge. I'm mainly looking on autotrader at the moment.

Can you explain a little more about the layout you've suggested or link to one?

Cheers!

6. NickNic

We prefer a fixed bed because I can't be doing with faffing around building a bed every night and also we can seperate the bedroom from the rest of the van with a proper door. This keeps the dogs out and also provides some privacy if someone is sleeping in the front.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting it for you thought, it's just what works for us. For what it's worth this is what we have.

There might not be loads of 4 berth rear lounge vans around either but the main point I was making was that you have more chance of finding one that will keep you legal at 3500 than you have of finding a 6 berth that works.

You might have to search a bit to find something that suits you but it will be worth taking the time. The accepted wisdom is that for most people the right van for them is usually the third one they buy so if you want to buck that trend take your time.

Another good piece of advice is to hire a van with your preferred layout and go away for a week or a long weekend before you buy. It's far better to find out that a layout isn't as ideal as you thought before you spend £25k. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Without being rude have you set a budget? Some of the layouts people will reccomend ate relatively modern and will be harder to find in an older van. Similarly, with bigger demands for luxury weights have gone up meaning older vans might have better payloads....

Have you decided on body type yet?

8. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

We had a swift escape 686, one of the first models to come out. These had a lightweight chassis were/are 3500KG. Be aware though that if you find one there are constraints, you cant put a towbar on this alko chassis, we know we looked into it in great detail. The payload was around 680K.
    I would be tempted though, having travelled with young grandchilden, to look at something which has good external storage, you need somewhere secure, not in the van, to keep the buggy and all the stuff you will need to take with you. Our youngsters slept in the overcab, from about 18 months, but they weren't 'climbers' wouldn't dream of putting the one who is youngest now up there, she would be out the roof light lol Check your car seat in every van you think might do.
    Many older vans have 5/6 berths but some only 2/3 belted seats, the fixings for seatbelts are heavy so that might be worth a thought given your price range.
    Enjoy the search

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I agree with most of Nicks comments also for long trips a van with a garage makes a lot of sence but that rules out U shaped lounges.
    Also bear in mind generally you can not fit child seats to the conversion seats only the cab passenger seat.

11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Doh @Gromett I missed that

25k should get you what you want but you are going to need to do shows and visit oodles of dealers to work out exactly what layout you want. Even then you could end up trading up a couple of times before you get of right.

Good luck with your search.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Janeymonica

Janeymonica Funster

Hi, we are looking at a coachbuilt. Something similar to this in layout:
    http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/...16000/23999/registrationyear/2002/max/berth/6

13. Janeymonica

Janeymonica Funster

Hi Lenny,

Couldn't we fit a child seat in the forward facing dinette seats in the van shown here if we folded the table away?

Thanks

Attached Files:

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Fairly certain the answer is no but you would have check with the manufacturer and they would probably say no to cover themselves.
    The van in your link must be a dealers special as it is not a recognised brand of Motorhome, from the internal decor I would say one of the budget Italian brands possibly Rollerteam only a guess.

As you are going to be using the van a lot in mainland Europe it would make sense to buy a LHD if you buy in Germany you will get a newr van for your budget, have a look on Mobile.de nearly all German dealers list on this site.

15. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

We have a 5 birth Micro Mini Winnebago. Based on a V6 Toyota. Cost us £3500. We are over the moon with it. So have a look at American MH too. This van has everything we need. Up to and including fly screens on every opening.

16. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Whats the difference between fitting a baby seat on the dinette seat and fitting one in the back of a car..just being curious. Something I will never have to think about.

17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

If your car seat is one of the newer ones that require special fixings then I would say no. If it was me I would be thinking of placing it on the rearward facing seats.
    As has been said the work for you is only just starting in that it may take six months to find the right van for you and your family. You say you need to keep under 3500, is there a special reason? Vans over this if only 3800 like ours offer 600kgs of carrying capacity and that's weigh bridge proved and not dealer speak.
    Good luck and have fun searching. (y)

18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I think it is due to car seats being fixed, Motorhome dinette seats are only loose cushions.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Dave K

Dave K Funster

Lovely looking van Nick

20. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster