Suggestions for the east of france (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
This will be our 6th year in France this summer and we are considering the east. We have a month to roam and are pretty flexible but have a few basic requirements:
1. Needs to be warm (we live in the Scottish Highlands)
2. Good cycle routes for the family
3. Good swimming options for the kids.

We have only traveled through the east on our way back from the Alps so we don't really know the area. Any suggestions gratefully received.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
This will be our 6th year in France this summer and we are considering the east. We have a month to roam and are pretty flexible but have a few basic requirements:
1. Needs to be warm (we live in the Scottish Highlands)
2. Good cycle routes for the family
3. Good swimming options for the kids.

We have only traveled through the east on our way back from the Alps so we don't really know the area. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Hmmmmm? Well anywhere south of the border is usually warmer isn't it?
Anyway, yes we've been going to Eastern France for a few years now.
We travel through various towns and villages towards the Champagne region. Lack during Der is a nice are (Giffaumont Champaubert) , Pont a Mousson (the Aire, if you want an Aire is sited on the banks of the Moselle which is between Metz and Nancy. We've found that Eastern France is a beautiful area and we also have relatively easy access to Germany (Lake Titesee) and Luxembourg. Administration by the Captainiere and has toilets and shower block. (close to McDonald's for wifi access although I think there's wifi on site but possibly not yet).
Everyone will have differing opinions but after spending quite some years doing Brittany/Normandy and the coast also the Loire (which we really like) and the Enchanted forest etc, we had a trip to visit Paris and enjoyed it as the Aire was at the exhibition centre at Le Bourget airport. However, we went the following year and Aire wasn't open so we hightailed out of Paris and ended up going East and now we go Eastern France as we find it so much nicer but beauty in the eye etc
Have a lovely time wherever you go.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
East of France, that would be The Rhein. Definitely worth a visit. You don't get better cycling, cycle for miles on the banks then get a boat back. Swimming in it, not a good idea.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Jura mountains, a very pleasant area to explore...Follow the Doubs....Easy to pop into west Switzerland which is also worth a visit...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The Amneville leisure complex just north of Metz includes indoor ski-ing and other such novelties that might amuse the offspring. Free overnight MH parking too.

At Strasbourg there's Camping Indigo with good public transport links to the centre though it's very much a historic city trip rather than a leisure spot.

The lakes east of Troyes would be good for cycling. Free overnight parking near Mesnil-Saint-Pere but no services.

Dijon is a very stylish city with easy bike access from the Municipale camping. Lac Kir and Dijon 'Plage' (a beach for dipping in the Lac) are close by, again with cycle tracks.

If you wander a little bit west of Lyons in the direction of Clermont-Ferrand you've got the volcano range that includes Puy du Dome, which has an aire. You can cycle up that if you're barking mad, but the electric train is easier. Nearby is Vulcania, a volcano themed visitor attraction with its own aire. Le Puy en Velay has a rather unusual pilgrim chapel on top of a volcanic plug which is worth half a day of your time. The devout ascend the steps on their knees.

Vallons Pont d'Arc is a good starting point for exploring the Ardeche, including the Gorge and the Pont d'Arc - there's an aire in town and campsites everywhere, plus a river to swim in. Cycling's maybe not that good though due to the narrow winding roads along the gorge. Good bus services though. Also down there is the Caverne Pont d'Arc which is a huge reconstruction of the nearby cave where 34,000 year old paintings were discovered. If you've any regard for history don't miss that.

Below that, in the deep south there's Avignon, Arles, Nimes, Uzes, Pont du Gard, the Camargue salt marshes (hot as Hell in summer), Saintes-Mairies de la Mer, and Aigues Mortes, all with their own unique appeal.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Sisteron in Provence has a lovely municipal camp site with a pool, good cycling as well and is a great jumping off point for other town either north or south.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sisteron in Provence has a lovely municipal camp site with a pool, good cycling as well and is a great jumping off point for other town either north or south.

Now you mention it we've found a few municipal sites that are town swimming pool first and campsite second.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Visit Burgundy. The wine villages Nuits St George, Mercurey, etc are pleasant.

The vineyards from Beaune southwards are populated with pretty villages and, Beaune itself is well worth a visit. Google the Hotel Dieu, an old preserved hospital building with fantastic tiled roof.

Further south in Burgundy, there is also the Voie Verte, an old railway line converted to smooth tarmac for cycles, horses and skaters. No motor vehicles allowed. Part of the Pilgim's Route to Santiago de Compestella. Cycle tracks also follow the Canals.

The town of Cluny is also very pretty with a Saturday market and is a centre for all things equestrian. Regular horse shows where the horses have their own set of traffic lights to cross the road after performing to reach their open air showers.(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
thanks all, we love Troyes so will check out the Lac d'Orient and the rest.
Hi , nice free aire at Geraudot on the Lac D'Orient
upload_2017-1-22_18-27-29.jpeg

upload_2017-1-22_18-27-57.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-22_18-28-22.jpeg
    upload_2017-1-22_18-28-22.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Nice free aire with services, at GPS 48.569115, 4.702625
on the side of the Lac du Der , cycle track around the lake ,also nature reserve.

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
Brilliant, thanks very much, ive got some planning to do...

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
I am watching this thread with interest as we are thinking of heading East for our first trip.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Another aire you might like is CatillonsurSambre nice canalside aire 5 euro's from memory but just cross the road is a lorry park that's free.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Another aire you might like is CatillonsurSambre nice canalside aire 5 euro's from memory but just cross the road is a lorry park that's free.

The lorry park now marked as exclusive for camping cars although I don't think it will stop some lorries! There is now a small landscaped area at the far end but no other facilities other than bins. This info is valid as of Aug 2016 when we visited.

Rod

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you like a bit of adventure then I can recommend a canoe trip down the Ardeche, there are various companies who do them with varying lengths ... we did one from the Pont d'Ardeche to St Martin d'Ardeche, I think it was about 28km in total! The company we went with were at St Martin so we were taken from there to the Pont - we stayed at St Martin next to the river and it was a 30 second walk to the bus in the morning, it also meant there was no rush to get back to St Martin to catch a bus back.

Lac d'Orient is great too, there's a car park which you can stay in overnight next to the play area ar Mesnil st Pere (trangular one on right):

upload_2017-1-22_21-49-23.png

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
There is a useful transit Aire at Chavannes-sur-l'Étang 47.63301, 7.01843 see Google maps link. This has services plus wi-fi and a rustic Boulangerie within easy walking distance. You may be charged €8 ish if the tourist office is manned. We've used this spot a number of times when travelling in or out of Germany / France.
If you are moving on south then a supermarket is available on the eastern outskirts of Belfort just before you join the motorway (Free southbound, toll northbound!).

Rod

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
That sounds spot on and the canoeing would be great with the kids, thanks.

Hi @D.ten ,
I canoed down the Ardeche from Vallon pont d'arc, I did the short (half day canoe journey) really great fun , but they didn't explain thoroughly where they would pick me up at the end of my trip (I don't speak french they didn't speak english),so had to wing it as there was no signs on the side of the gorge eventually found it.Good job they insisted on me wearing a lifejacket !!! they didn't explain that there was a couple of mild bits of white water ( a little bit bumpy) before you get to the Pont d'Arc, needless to say on the last one I took the wrong line thru & ended up in the drink . So a bit of care needed!!

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
Cheers for that, we have done a wee bit of canoeing so can handle mild whitewater, only mild though...

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
I am watching this thread with interest as we are thinking of heading East for our first trip.
Watching too, we're off at the end of March for 2 months :Grin: Our trip is going to start by visiting Dunkirk, then the Menin Gate. After that we're thinking of heading south following the French border so we can hop over it when we fancy. We've got 2 dogs (with passports) and reading info on various Fun threads think that will be pretty straight forward :smiley:
Just bought Camper contact App, ordered Camperstop from Vicarious Books, have All the Aires 2016 and Mitchellin map plus lists of Aires compiled from Fun so have everything we need, or have we ............:worried:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back