Suggestions for Portugal Sites Please (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Hi All
We are heading south next week in the general direction of Portugal/Southern Spain. It will be our first visit to Portugal and would be grateful for recommendations for sites or aires for a biggish motorhome, 8.9 metres. And some feedback on current temperatures down there at the moment...hoping its hotter than Cumbria ;-)...We prefer the smaller, rural, stops. Thanks in advance..Peter

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
It's very nice at the moment, sunny and warm. Issue you may have is that there appears to be many more motorhomers on the Algarve than pitches! Places seem to be very full! Not sure what's changed!

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Masses of French vans all over the algarve at the moment. I am in manta rota and out of around 140 vans over 120 are French. Similar story at Castro marim, altura and villa real.

OP
OP
peter21
Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Thanks all. Anyone know if inland/mid/north Portugal sites are also pretty full?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012
It's very nice at the moment, sunny and warm. Issue you may have is that there appears to be many more motorhomers on the Algarve than pitches! Places seem to be very full! Not sure what's changed!
I think many of the French are steering clear of Morocco this year because of all the problems with ISIS . Mind you I have found Morocco to be possibly the safety Muslim country in Africa.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We will be watching this post with a vested interest as we were/are planning on heading south from Benidorm towards Portugal. Somewhat daunted by how busy it appears to be, at least we now know where all the French are as little sign on any in Beni.

Is the trend for the sites to be busy or camperstops/aires?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There are quiet places even now.

Soon the hoards will head north.

Back to normal then.

Am watching the weather apps daily. As soon as the temperature becomes acceptable (20ish) I will be parked again in my small orchard (Quinta Majay) just off the IC8 near Pedrogão Grande.

(Most) Visitors welcome.

Bring pies.

JJ :cool:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Try Camperstop Messines, we are staying there at the moment and have been for the last five weeks. Very rural, always has places as the campers are coming and going every day. There are facilities here but no electric. Gennies can be run for two hours in the evening to top up batteries should it be a cloudy day. The weather has been on and off since Christmas, but it has turned and is lovely and sunny sometimes too hot for me to sit out in. You will not have problems with the size of your van on site but you may have to shunt over the bridge at the entrance. There are a few MHFun members here plus some Dutch, not a big site, which is lovely, for us anyway and the Dutch owners couldn't be more helpful.

Have a safe journey down.

Nigel and Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Thanks all. Anyone know if inland/mid/north Portugal sites are also pretty full?

Not sure about whether they are busy, but you take your chances on the weather, that's why most are in the Algarve at this time of year.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Stopped in at Monte Gordo site today, checking for a pitch for a friend, and was told they were full!

Lots of vans moving on the N125, have to say most were French.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@peter21 Do you want to visit anywhere on the way down or just "blast on" and what route are you planning.

Martin

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We are here Broken Link Removed and have been for several weeks now, most of that time it's been just us. Great location and village close by. We're 9.8m so no problem with size.
Shawn.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We are here Broken Link Removed and have been for several weeks now, most of that time it's been just us. Great location and village close by. We're 9.8m so no problem with size.
Shawn.
Just had a look at your link and it looks just fab.
A few more weeks and we will be heading that way......cant wait.

Richard.

OP
OP
peter21
Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
@peter21 Do you want to visit anywhere on the way down or just "blast on" and what route are you planning.

Martin
Hi Martin
We would like to explore Portugal as we go, weather permitting!
We are taking the ferry to Caen, heading down non-toll the west side of France, stopping at 2 or 3 aires en route. Once we hit Spain we'll turn right and head towards north Portugal, maybe taking in Santiago de Compostela, then work down Portugal.
However, if there is a bad forecast for the west coast of Portugal, there will be strong pressure from the co-pilot for a quick dash to the mediterranean coast of Spain.
We don't route plan in great detail but have a few favourite aires...Capbreton is great, it'll be low season now and no services but fine for a stop over. A good riverside aire we discovered last year is at La Suze-sur-Sarthe, just south of Le Mans. We are not so familiar with Spanish aires and would love to get some recommendations for safe stopovers in N. Spain.

OP
OP
peter21
Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Shawn.
Hi Shawn..It looks good...thanks.
What sort of temperatures are you getting at the moment?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Peter

I think you have seen my thread "to Spain without tolls" so I won't list those all again, last year we headed straight for the Med coast so started from San Sebastián and the up to Pamplona and then Zaragoza and followed the A23 we stopped after about 300 miles at a campsite in Navajas (camping Altomera) but the pitches are not massive and a fair few of them have the steel frames over for adding shade in the summer, if you are over 3.3 metres you will have to watch the height, it's also steeply terraced but a nice place once you get in. Otherwise if you want a stop before this I would ask at one of the large service stations as they are in the middle of nowhere.

If you are anywhere near Seville the Areas Autocaravanas in my other thread is dead easy to get to and any size of vehicle, then you just turn right for the Algarve.

Sorry should have added can't help with Portugal as not been yet.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Try Camperstop Messines, we are staying there at the moment and have been for the last five weeks. Very rural, always has places as the campers are coming and going every day. There are facilities here but no electric. Gennies can be run for two hours in the evening to top up batteries should it be a cloudy day. The weather has been on and off since Christmas, but it has turned and is lovely and sunny sometimes too hot for me to sit out in. You will not have problems with the size of your van on site but you may have to shunt over the bridge at the entrance. There are a few MHFun members here plus some Dutch, not a big site, which is lovely, for us anyway and the Dutch owners couldn't be more helpful.

Have a safe journey down.

Nigel and Pamala
Hi @Sundowners how much longer are you there for.

Martin

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Hi Shawn..It looks good...thanks.
What sort of temperatures are you getting at the moment?

Hi Peter. The last few days has been frost first thing and then by around 10am it's warm, during the main 12-5pm I'm normally in shorts and T shirt but step into the shade and it's cool. Air Temparature says around 13-15 but in the sun it's high teens into low 20s.
Saying that the forecast for the next 5 days from Saturday is cloud and rain showers.

Definitely not the same tempartures as further south but pleasent enough for us. Emma's just said 'springlike'

Shawn.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi @Sundowners how much longer are you there for.

Martin

Hi Martin and Jen - we have booked until 19th Feb., but are going away for a few days next week, our pitch is paid for and we will be on the same pitch on our return.

We have the hire car until 10th March, tunnel booked for 6th April.

Do you know when you are heading this way?

Nigel and Pamala

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Nigel and Pamala

We will move from Valencia on Sunday I think and plan to visit El Rocio and then spend a bit of time in the wet land area and down to the beach, depending how that goes we may well head over to you around the end of next week. I think we need a bit of time without any Cathedrals or Palaces as we seem to have seen a lot in the last week, I guess there is some decent bike riding around camperstop messines.

Martin

Deleted User
Hi Nigel and Pamala

We will move from Valencia on Sunday I think and plan to visit El Rocio and then spend a bit of time in the wet land area and down to the beach, depending how that goes we may well head over to you around the end of next week. I think we need a bit of time without any Cathedrals or Palaces as we seem to have seen a lot in the last week, I guess there is some decent bike riding around camperstop messines.

Martin

Valencia????.........confused.com:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want 'aire' type stops have a look out for barrigems (ie barrages/dams) as lots of MHs used them when we were there last year.

Deleted User
Well spotted that man, we are of course in Seville and NOT Valencia(y)

Thanks

If you like bar hopping and tapas then try over the Puente Isabella(Triana) bridge onto San Jacinto. and the surrounding area, more bars than you can shake a stick at:). The bridge was heaving with the padlocks at one time but they had all been removed for Semana Santa last year.

The Museo de Bellas Artes is free on a Sunday and there is an art market outside, worth a visit for the building and some impressive stuff inside, stay another day and do the Triana tapas trail Sunday 'lunch'

We love Sevilla and have visited many times.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Nigel and Pamala

Martin

We are going away north on Wednesday for about 4-5 days, then coming back to our pitch at Camperstop Messines, will explain when we see you. So if you decide to stay here we will see you when we get back. There are certainly plent of places to cycle around here, so you will be kept fit, especially if you like to do some walking as well.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are going away north on Wednesday for about 4-5 days, then coming back to our pitch at Camperstop Messines, will explain when we see you. So if you decide to stay here we will see you when we get back. There are certainly plent of places to cycle around here, so you will be kept fit, especially if you like to do some walking as well.
Hi Nigel and Pamala

Our plans change with the weather, if we get there it will be good to see you, thanks for the update.

Martin

OP
OP
peter21
Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Thanks all for comments/suggestions. All sites have been noted but in view of bad forecast for next few days for Portugal we will head to Valencia next, then work our way over to Portugal as the weather improves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back