Suggestion for 1mth trip mid Nov-mid Dec (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Decisions decisions!!

Struggling on ideas for a short 1 month trip starting mid November.

Thinking South Germany....? Cool but not freezing? Interesting places. Good time to visit?

Any other suggestions??

Ruled out:-
- Italy - been there for 7 weeks this year
- France - just come back from a month, may be 2nd choice though
- Holland - No real wild camping and most of it is cold!
- Scandanavia - Too cold, wait till summer!
- Portugal - too far for a month
- Spain - not our fave place, and not worth it on its own only if going to portugal
- Eastern Europe - too far for a month as we've not been there yet, would want to spend longer.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Wow you lucky thing--

Here would be my suggestion- Prague, Not as far as you would think and really really nice. Could be tied in with Luxembourg which is gorgeous.

The Alps, get up high in the alps for some clean air and crystal cool weather.

Wish it was me and good luck with what ever you choose:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Cheers

Touched Alpes en route to Italy and when in Switzerland and also just on our France trip. We'd save another visit till, maybe, Jan/Feb for snowboarding - its a little early for that in this time (isn't it??). If snowboarding is doable in early Dec then may consider. (...runs off to google)

Luxemburg? Hmmm - need to see why you said georgous. We have just used it as a fuel stop! Will add to google list.

Prague. We had that on our "Eastern Europe" trip, but guess there is no reason we can't do Czech. Only query is weather okay in late Nov early Dec?

Thanks for those!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well we have skied in the alps in December. so its a possibility and I would hope a lot of resorts are open then. You missed a bit out about snowboarding, there fore me? I would be off snowboarding in a flash. you can board in Czech republic but of course alot will depend on snow conditions. You could go along the east of France/Germany/Belgium trying all the little resorts to get your board out. If last year was anything to go by, you could of boarded all the way from Calais to Italy there was that much snow.:Cool:

Mine and the kids boards and skis are waxed and ready to go,,,,,, Although for us we will be praying for snow in Scotland this year, but then come February we will be off to the Alps,:thumb:

sorry forgot to mention, Luxembourg city..... try it and see you wont be disappointed.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Decisions decisions!!

Thinking South Germany....? Cool but not freezing? Interesting places. Good time to visit?

Any other suggestions?
Depends on what you enjoy doing/seeing etc and how far you are prepared to drive?

You say that you've ruled out Eastern Europe, but you have plenty of time to get over to the east of Germany. Lots of places to visit there. Also if you go east, an excursion into Czech is quite within your time limit.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Prepared to drive a reasonable distance, but its only a month trip (which is short for us) so don't want to go toooo far. We avoid motorways and enjoy dawdling and random finds, so say, Dresden would be about a 1-week drive. So East Germany is fine, but we were in Dresden/Liepzig etc in November last year. We didn't do south Germany.

Still goooooogling Prague/Czech - IIRC winter tyres are mandatory (which we don't have yet). We don't have much info so looking.

We like exploring and activities - snowboarding a bonus though aiming for Jan/Feb snow trip. We also like freeness so love Aires/Stelplatz/free-camping rather than sites.

So far:-

(Luxemburg will be googled and added to a trip later, not sure if this one)
a) South Germany only
b) South Germany & Czech
c) Alps (France/Switzerland)

(If not Czech then Czech would be next year anyway)

Appreciate the ideas!

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
You could do a lot worse than a month or so in the Emerald Isle!

Winter seems to come a bit later in Ireland, but even when cold, the scenery is Spectacular in the west, especially around the Co. Galwaycoast and the Burren.

Galway is my favourite Irish city, and no matter when you go, it always seems busy with tourists which makes for a great atmosphere. Some of the best fish and chips I've ever eaten were in Galway.

I recomment Ireland very highly.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Decisions decisions!!

Any other suggestions??

Ruled out:-
- Italy - been there for 7 weeks this year
- France - just come back from a month, may be 2nd choice though
- Holland - No real wild camping and most of it is cold!
- Scandanavia - Too cold, wait till summer!
- Portugal - too far for a month
- Spain - not our fave place, and not worth it on its own only if going to portugal
- Eastern Europe - too far for a month as we've not been there yet, would want to spend longer.

I think you ought to get out more. All this staying at home isn;t doing you any good :ROFLMAO:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Scotland" it`s beautiful any time of the year,, and the way the weather is going wont be to cold.. :thumb:

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Thanks again
Scotland - spent 2.5 weeks there in August and a week there in May - though not the highlands etc - will save those for sun!
Czech - Apparently snow tyres are mandatory Oct-Mar which we don't have so not viable :(
Alps - Ski resorts not open till mid Dec which is when we're returning home, so save this for Feb time (all being well)
Ireland - don't really fancy it this time of year.... Feels like it should be a spring/summer type place.....

Ohhhh. Hmph.

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Go to Southern Germany!

I was fortunate enough to spend a couple of years on exchange with the US Army in Germany and know the area very well as they have/had many military locations in the most beautiful locations. So our trip was a bit of a pilgrimage and a drive down memory lane as we drove through areas we had 'tugged' through with our three young boys.

We spent 3 glorious weeks in Nov/Dec 06. The whole area is scenery perfection on an industrial scale and we were so fortunate with the weather, clear blue skies and sunshine everyday though pretty cold! We made full use of the ReiseMobil Stellplatz guide and their TomTom POI download is a godsend and highly accurate.

Highlights of the tour were:

Oberstdorf in the deepest south which is a skiing village with stunning views and very well developed and signed cycle routes. The stellplatz (Geiger)is smack in the centre of the village, concrete hard standing and a superb sanitation block. Sondhofen, just up the valley, is a cracking town and the British Army had a mountain training centre there where I spent many a happy hour.

Fussen and Schwangau area which are touristy (Neuschwanstein Castle) but again beautiful with excellent stellplatz and glorious lakes and mountain rivers.

Through Austria to Garmisch Partenkirchen and the stellplatz at Wank. Fantastic roads through Alpine villages, cows with bells and the expectation of bumping into Heidi or the Von Trapp family at every corner. The old Olympic Stadium park in G-P is now closed but parking is easy in the town(s). The Zugspitz train and cable car terminus is at the Stadium and truly superb. It is a wonderful trip and worth every cent. Coffee and Kuchen at the Gastatte on the summit of the Zugspitz is a true treat. The cable car ride down from the summit is jaw dropping and very 'Where Eagles Dare.'

Oberramergau next which is worth a visit but very 'in your face. The Stellplatz is at the edge of the town and in the main caravan site. Then a meandering drive on the 'back roads' to one of our favourite places in Germany, Chiemsee.

Chiemsee Lake is in a stunning setting surrounded by mountains and is a superb place to stop and explore. Herrenchiemsee is worth a trip to see King Ludwigs Palace (as are all of his other Palaces/Castles) and the whole area is eye-candy for keen photographers and wildlife lovers. Chiemsee used to have a US Army recreation centre with a wonderful campsite. The main hotel was in the first Autobahn Services built by Adolf Hitler and is really worth a visit as it is very much as was.

Then to end our tour, a visit to Berchtesgaden and the Eagles Nest. The trip to the Eagles Nest by bus is amazing as is the ride to the summit via Hitlers elevator. Deep in history and fascinating for a military man like me it is a magnetic place with scenery and vistas to take your breath away.

Thats where we went and we loved it. Excellent facilities throughout, most places around the 10 euro mark or free, water at cemeteries (always a good source), garages or stellplatz (some taps closed for winter), lav dumping at autobahn toilets as required (SOG so no chemicals) and parking/wildcamping spots in their thousands. Several nights spent on farms. Asking the farmer for permission to park was met with the utmost courtesy and never refused though speaking German (badly) does help.

One of my Sons is stationed in Gutersloh in the North of Germany so we will be basing our trip in December this year with him and his family and going over to Dresden, Leipzig and the Seiffen area.

Whatever you decide to do have a wonderful and safe trip and thank you for the excellent write-ups you have done on your tours which I am sure have provided an inspiration to so many.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Thanks for your kind comments on our blog. Truely only done because we forget and it saves us boring mates! Hope it does inspire some, though remember its others that inspire us!

And thanks for the tips in your post.

We have a short list of "must dos" that we've previously read about - Eagles Nest is one of them as is the panoramic highway!

Southern Germany-->Austria and (as tipped by someone else) maybe as far as Budapest may well be the trip to do and about the right distance.

If weather isn't going to be too extreme.....

Thanks all - google search narrowing :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back