Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Been on HU for the last 2 months, so decided to run the main engine to give the vehicle battery a charge.:Smile:

Wouldn't start on ignition, but started comfortably on aux battery.

Everything was fine for ten mins or so and I decided to drop the jacks. The dash which had been showing an initial charge of 13+ amps suddenly jumped to zero.

No vehicle system now at all, no headlights, indicators, side lights, dash lights including warning lights. Everything else is fine.:cry:

Removed battery and put meter across (thanx KANDS for showing me how to use it) and it shows anything from 8v upwards each time I tested it:RollEyes:

Now put it on booster charge overnight.

Fleetwood Southwind 1995
Chevy 7.4L petrol

Any ideas?

Ian

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Have you blown a fuse?

Any corrosion on the main vehicle battery terminals?

You've been on EHU for 2 months.Has the vehicle battery been charged during this time.8V across terminals suggest a dead battery.

Check usual things.Battery terminals clean and tight.Battery to chassis earthing good and connections clean.Fuses.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
anything less than around 9.5volts and you have a plastic box with some lead in it to stop it blowing away.:ROFLMAO:
even if you get a 12v/13v reading straight after charging it the chances are it will discharge as soon as you turn on the ignition.:Sad:
new battery needed i think.

john.

ps...... dont forget your leisure battery is designed for slow discharge not the 500/600ah needed to crank a cold engine so you will damage your leisure battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree with Pappajohn , below 10v the battery will probably never recover. .

Fit a new battery then check the voltage with the engine running, should be around 14.4v , if not check for a blown fuse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back