Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So went out to change the bedding today
As I opened the door I noticed a very low humming noise.

Soon realised that SOMEONE* had left the hab electric on and the water power on.

Night before last we had a snap frost, so the auto water dump valve had opened

Of course that meant the bloody water pump fired up and dumped about 20 gallons of water out through the valve.. No real problem but of course, once all the water was gone the pump still kept running :Doh:

Fortunately, and much to my surprise, a quick refill and the pump was still working fine even though it had been running free for at least 36 hours

In turn of course, it had almost flattened the hab batteries .. a pair of 130aH jobbies

Fortunately ( again fortunately ) they had not gone below critical.. went down to 12.2 v so not THAT bad

Plugged in the EHU and thought that was that.. About an hour goes by and I decide just to check all is ok.
Checked the battery voltage and it was STILL at 12.2v :Blush:

A further check and I found that the actual charger was not doing anything !!

Sooo
Strip the drivers side seat out, pull out the charger ( not easy !! ) and started checking wires.

Nothing obvious but then........... then...................... The :Doh: moment

When I fitted the pair of 130aH batteries I had had to modify where they sat as they were so much bigger than the pair off 110's they replaced

I had, during the process, hit the small on off switch on the end of the darned charger !!

Basically I have been running everything ever since Lincoln on battery and solar panels..

I did wonder why, after a four days away two weeks ago, the batteries were not full when we got home ( site was only 14 miles away ), even though we had been on hook up for the 4 days.

An interesting morning, all brought about by my own cock ups !

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
It must be reassuring that the system stood the onslaught and came through it unscathed.:thumb:

Wyn

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I find it reassuring that I'm not the only bloke in the world making hard work for myself.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I`m sure a man of your integrity should have found a way to blame Mo.... :winky::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.............

I would point the finger, especially as she was the last person in the van, but I gotta be honest and say it is somewhat unlikely to have been her rather than me :Doh:

If I could have thought of ANY reason she might have turned on the water then 100% would have been womans fault.. but as I canna................. :Blush:

Mind you, at least the tank has had its yearly drain and flush now.. Will save me doing it in December :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.............

I would point the finger, especially as she was the last person in the van, but I gotta be honest and say it is somewhat unlikely to have been her rather than me :Doh:

If I could have thought of ANY reason she might have turned on the water then 100% would have been womans fault.. but as I canna................. :Blush:

Mind you, at least the tank has had its yearly drain and flush now.. Will save me doing it in December :thumb:
I'm sure a man of your immense talent could rig up something to stop the pump before it starts pumping air. No idea how it works gravity or pump dump but why is the pump not stopped when the dump valve opens. Could be a fire hazard.:thumb: Or am I talking balls.:Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The dump valve is a simple mechanical thing.. There is a bi-metal strip inside the valve that clicks over when a certain temp is reached..

Yes, it would be handy if the pump cut off if it was free running but to my knowledge there is not one made like that.. And the chances of someone who is as big a plonker as me doing the same thing is pretty remote.. No more risk of fire hazard than leaving a light on ( in fact less as the free running pump generates no heat and draws very very little current :thumb:

All seems fine now.. While I was at the van just now checking the batteries are coming back up, I double checked everything was turned off, the dump valve I opened manually and also opened the taps ( something I do every year anyway ) ..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would LIKE to be able to admit to that but sadly I must have left it all on at least two days before my birthday !!! :winky:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The dump valve is a simple mechanical thing.. There is a bi-metal strip inside the valve that clicks over when a certain temp is reached..

Yes, it would be handy if the pump cut off if it was free running but to my knowledge there is not one made like that.. And the chances of someone who is as big a plonker as me doing the same thing is pretty remote.. No more risk of fire hazard than leaving a light on ( in fact less as the free running pump generates no heat and draws very very little current :thumb:

All seems fine now.. While I was at the van just now checking the batteries are coming back up, I double checked everything was turned off, the dump valve I opened manually and also opened the taps ( something I do every year anyway ) ..

Our pump will not run if the tank is showing empty, must be the ECU that controls that. I thought the pump was buggered when it happened to me once before.

It cannot be rocket science can it , to set something up like that?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Our pump will not run if the tank is showing empty, must be the ECU that controls that. I thought the pump was buggered when it happened to me once before.

[HI]It cannot be rocket science can it , to set something up like that?[/HI]

A simple float switch, as boats often have in their bilges would do that job, if it's floating then you have power if it ain't you don't...........that'd work.......... :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back