rainmac80

Free Member
Mar 15, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Conversion A class
Exp
Sorry all, a potentially obvious to all question coming up...
So... we have a large water tank under a seat in the main living area which lies horizontally and has a large screw off cap right in the middle.
How do we fill this? Obviously a large water container from tap carried to motorhome is going to be really heavy to firstly carry, then to lift into motorhome and then tip with loads of spillage? We're looking at some 2nd hand aquarollers but do we need this and if so, how do we then get the water from the rolled container into our main tank?
We could fill before leaving with hosepipe but don't want to drive carrying that load and what about refilling when at destination?
Thanks
Rain

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Not a stupid as many may think. I found it quicker to fill from my water carrier through the large central screw off cap than the submersible pump when not wishing to drive to the tap. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you will have a filling port on the outside of the motorhome adjacent to the tank. often the cap is white with a keyhole in the centre

drive to the tap when arriving on site and use a food grade hosepipe to top it up. dont use standard garden hose as it leaches carcenogenic chemicals into the water that passes through it leaving a bad taste. dont forget to occasionally sterilise the tank, pipes and hose occasionally to avoid build up of bacteria that can cause tummy upsets

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry all, a potentially obvious to all question coming up...
So... we have a large water tank under a seat in the main living area which lies horizontally and has a large screw off cap right in the middle.
How do we fill this? Obviously a large water container from tap carried to motorhome is going to be really heavy to firstly carry, then to lift into motorhome and then tip with loads of spillage? We're looking at some 2nd hand aquarollers but do we need this and if so, how do we then get the water from the rolled container into our main tank?
We could fill before leaving with hosepipe but don't want to drive carrying that load and what about refilling when at destination?
Thanks
Rain

Hope this not a stupid answer but are you sure you haven't got another filler somewhere on the outside of your van, because most tanks have a large lid for cleaning and such but a smaller one outside for filling
Sorry posted at the same time as the last post

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rainmac80

Free Member
Mar 15, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Conversion A class
Exp
Hi all,
Yes thanks, I completely forgot about the outside bit :)
So next question then I guess is how do I get water from tap at hook up point (in race paddock where we're staying mostly) into side bit - just a food grade hose like the previous post suggested if close enough I guess right? Or a watering can like other previous post? Then no need to even worry about entry under bench for filling.
Please let me know if I'm missing anything and if there's any point in us getting the 40l aquaroller I'm watching on ebay :)
Thanks
Rain

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
look around the tank for a 50mm (approx) pipe exiting the tank and going to the outer wall.

It should be near the top or even on the top of the tank.

Note the position of the pipe then look outside in the general area for, what looks like, a petrol filler cap.
It should be labelled "fresh water only"
Fill via hose pipe or watering can

DO NOT mistake it for the actual fuel filler cap :Eeek:

If unsure take the cap off and have a sniff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just read your last post :Doh:

Aqua-roll is ok but 40ltrs of water is 40 kg....a heavy lift to the filler cap only to spill a lot of it anyway.

Ideally you would need a submersible pump to decant it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rainmac80

Free Member
Mar 15, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Conversion A class
Exp
OK thanks all - think we'll just get a bog standard large watering can for this weekend and then maybe invest in the aquaroller and pump for holidays later on if watering can becomes too irritating :)

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
if you cant find a filler point on the outside, then maybe consider fitting one, otherwise a hose from the tap thru your window into the tank via the big lid, which seems messy. But you could buy one of those new squiggly hoses that shrivels from about 25 feet to about 6 feet when the water is turned off, and is guaranteed not to tangle up.[from idealworld etc]

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OK thanks all - think we'll just get a bog standard large watering can for this weekend and then maybe invest in the aquaroller and pump for holidays later on if watering can becomes too irritating :)

Think you would be better buying a food grade hose about a tener for about 20 foot and just shove it on the water tap when you get to site and fill your tank, or at home, you can always get close enough to the camp tap :Smile:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just read your post about aqua rolls and pumps, you don't need them, just use your hose to a tap , honestly never needed anything else, you don't want to be carting cans about

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rainmac80

Free Member
Mar 15, 2013
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Conversion A class
Exp
Brill thanks - don't think I'll bother, just more cumbersome by seems of it :)
Thanks all for your help - valuable!!

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Brill thanks - don't think I'll bother, just more cumbersome by seems of it :)
Thanks all for your help - valuable!!
Glad you saw the light, in the end. :winky:

All you need is that hose and a bag of adapters for the varying taps you'll find on your travels. If I could find a fold flat watering can, I'd maybe carry one.

No matter what hose you use, flush it through for a few seconds before filling your tank. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back