Stupid flipping Post Office pillock! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As we're going on holiday to Germany shortly for 7 weeks, and our van's tax runs out at the end of May, today I went to the Post Office to get a new tax disc. I took my old and new insurance policy docs, registration doc, and completed tax disc form and handed it all to the chap behind the counter along with £225 (ouch :shout:).

He took my money and gave me all the paperwork back, along with a new tax disc, great, all sorted or so I thought. When I got home I was just about to trim the new disc to size to put in the van ready to be swapped over at the end of the month and noticed that the flipping numpty hadn't read the date that I wanted it from, which I'd written correctly on the form, so had done it to end on 30/4/14 instead of 31/5/14!!! :Doh: So as to avoid any possible 'problem' when I went back I took the existing tax disc with me to prove I had tax until the end of May. :winky:

Back into the village again and had to wait for the numpty to get off the phone to the DVLA - he was discussing something he'd done 'wrong' with them and how to rectify it ... looks like he makes a habit of it! :whatthe: He realised that I needed to see him and asked reluctantly what was the matter whilst he 'hovered' behind the glass between 2 hatches, so I slapped the current disc and the new disc on the glass so he could read them and said he'd docked me a month! I passed all the paperwork back to him and he mumbled to himself a bit then tore up the old one and did me a new 'correct' one and passed it back ... no 'sorry' ... nothing. :Angry:

I should've know when I went the first time as the numpty was being flippant with a chap in front of me about a parcel he was sending ... perhaps if he'd been more concerned with doing his job than trying to be a clever dick he might have got it right the first time. Only saving grace was that the village is only a couple of minutes drive away from home.

So the moral of the story is check your tax disc just in case you get a numpty too! :Eeek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've got a postmaster like that in our village and he's the rudest bugger you could ever wish to meet and he just loves humiliating people especially if he's got an audience. Most people now drive to the next village rather than go in there. Now he's complaining in the local paper that the post office may have to close because locals have stopped using it:ROFLMAO: the prat. Maybe he should have a good hard look in the mirror:Doh:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Post office counter clerks were on strike today-nobody noticed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have to say the ones in my Mum's village are excellent.
I have taxed my van 3 times there now and they always ask what month, then ask again as they are writing it out to make sure we both understand each other.

They always query why I am using Mrs Gray's debit card to take money out and I show them my driving license to prove I am her son..

The postman comes across as a really grumpy git.. But he always offers to carry larger parcels into the house and puts them where the often elderly person wants. If the door is open he doesn't knock and disturb. He puts the parcel behind the door out of sight.

I really can't fault the service here in Coningsby.

I think the village attitude here is fantastic. Great neighbours, great service in all the shops and lots of common sense which I really had believed had deserted this once great country.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We've got a postmaster like that in our village and he's the rudest bugger you could ever wish to meet and he just loves humiliating people especially if he's got an audience. Most people now drive to the next village rather than go in there. Now he's complaining in the local paper that the post office may have to close because locals have stopped using it:ROFLMAO: the prat. Maybe he should have a good hard look in the mirror:Doh:

we must have his brother in our village post office. .. the most obnoxious and unhelpful man I've met.. face like wet Sunday ... and likewise, I drive 8 miles to avoid using the shop...

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
post office

Many years ago when I was an assistant cashier in a shipping office I was sent to the post office to purchase the national insurance stamps which on a monthly basis came to a large sum of money and a lot of differing value stamps I had worked out all the costs prior to going so knew how many stamps etc, we wanted, I was served by an elderly lady cashier I offered her my list which she declined , she said just tell me what you require I said ok she then started passing sheets and sheets of stamps very quickly this didnt give me a chance to check them against my list :Sad: so I just put them all in my case and took them back to the office to stick them on the cards when I had stuck them all on I had about £1300 of stamps left :Eeek:I took them back to the post office and waited in a long queue to see this lady ,I told her she had made a mistake to which she replied THE POST OFFICE DOES NOT MAKE MISTAKES ! so haughty:Angry: I then waved the sheets of stamps which I had over to another clerk further down the counter who just happened to be a teammate in our football team and told him what had happened he just shook his head and said shes like that with all the young people . Dragondraws

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
the post office is a dinosaur they moan about being privatized yet the service they give is crap in my area whatever you do never send anything of value through the post its a certainty it wont get where its supposed to go we have even had packages which need signing for signed but not by us and not from my address

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Talking of Numpties Mel
Why didn't you check it before you left the counter :winky:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It depends on the post office...and most importantly - the eperience of the postmaster/mistress.

Brother in law covers PO's for other areas as well as his - has done so for 30 years. There are ones in a few local villages to his that have recently changed hands - with the new owners knowing little about self employment, let alone Post Office, Shop keeping or even basic Business.

One he commented on in particular, had new owners come in. They raised prices by quite a large percentage, which had an effect of trade as although people don't mind paying a little more at the village store, the do mind being blatently ripped off. Their response to this was to ......put the prices up!:Doh: He says it has gone from being quite a busy shop, to one that is seriously struggling!

It is a case of people retiring, buying a post office without actually researching what they are doing, thinking it will be a nice, easy, relaing occupation - when it is a bit more than that.

Go to a GOOD local post office, and they will always look after you - the postal prices are ALOT cheaper as they don't upsell as the main ones do. Find a good one, and use them!

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
My understanding is that Tax Discs can only be issued 14 days in advance. The local Post office would not have ones for the end of May yet.

I have also been told this by my local post office when I went to tax my van before going away

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Nothing surprises me where the Post Office are concerned. We have the usual rude numpties in the Durham area. My local main Post Office always refuse to tax my motorhome as it weighs to much, so they say. The small village PO always do it without any problem. I send quite a few parcels and the PO are slowly killing themselves with prices. I purchased a Silverscreen on EBay last week and the seller requested £12 to despatch with the PO. I araranged collection and delivery direct with Hermes, £5.20.
It amazes me the PO went on strike the other day. If they keep up this greed culture there will be a lot of staff out of work.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Had similiar problem,we are going away for 7 weeks and car tax runs out 7 days before we get back,spoke to dvla today and they said provided car is in garage we have 14 days grace before they send out reminder,so will tax it as soon as we get back

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I tax mine online on tinternet, no queing no aggro, no standin abaht:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Had similiar problem,we are going away for 7 weeks and car tax runs out 7 days before we get back,spoke to dvla today and they said provided car is in garage we have 14 days grace before they send out reminder,so will tax it as soon as we get back

As you will be away for nearly 2 months, why don't you SORN the car anyway and get some dosh back (assuming it's worth doing).

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My understanding is that Tax Discs can only be issued 14 days in advance. The local Post office would not have ones for the end of May yet.

I have also been told this by my local post office when I went to tax my van before going away

Our post office had them hence how I was able to get a 'correct' one dated to expire on 31 May 2014 when I went back.

You can apply for a tax disc from the 5th of the month it is due to expire:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-disc#other-ways-to-apply

One other thing that I don't think many people are aware of is that you can also apply for a tax disc up to 2 months in advance by going to your local DVLA office which could be useful for those going on longer trips:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-tax-disc-in-advance

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I tax mine online on tinternet, no queing no aggro, no standin abaht:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That's okay if you've got time to wait for the disc to plop onto your doorstep, unfortunately we didn't as we're going on holiday next week so couldn't take the risk that it wouldn't get here in time. :Smile:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Talking of Numpties Mel
Why didn't you check it before you left the counter :winky:

Funnily enough it was because I trusted that the numpty had read the form and done it right! :Doh: I'd already been waiting ages in the queue so didn't want to hang around longer than necessary especially since the numpty was already in a smart Alec mood anyway. :Angry:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have had this before at work always been a problem now our accounts just tax online and lads get a pull coming back in at least it's taxed so just get done for not displaying and we would stand fine
Not happened yet

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Minx,

Where are you going in Germany? We live in Niedersachen (lower Saxony) if you need any advice or somewhere to park up for the night let me know.

Tim:thumb:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Tim - thanks very much, haven't a clue at the moment ... must do some planning before Tuesday .... :Blush:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

I have to agree, doing it online is SO much simpler than queueing at the PO and waiting while they check this and check that and generally mess you about. A couple of mins and a few clicks and it's all done and always arrived in just a couple of days.

I recall the days of having to go to the PO armed with tax and ins. documents which they never seemed happy with.

I recall on one occasion asking the chap behind the counter "who do I make the cheque out to?"

"It tells you on the application form I gave you" he replied. So I scoured the form and copied the payee onto the cheque and handed my sheaf of documents over. After scrutinising them one by one he pushed them all back, including the cheque saying it was made out to the wrong payee. I said, "well you told me to use what was on the application form".

"Yea well", he said, "they are old forms, arn't they. They've changed them recently".....leaving me to start the whole process again with a newly written cheque and waiting in the inevitable queue. :Doh:

Is it any wonder I prefer to do it online?

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back