LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just dug out a paper map. I have clearly marked the road out of Landeck town centre towards Italy so as I said originally, Fussen to Italy is a delight and toll free, but now add "watch out you don't use the Landecker Tunnel".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Often you can argue your way out of these things in CH and Austria, they are simply are not used to people saying "sorry no I don't accept this, go and get me someone higher up the food chain" you've got to be prepared to stick to your guns and get very difficult and awkward about it. It doesn't always work but I nearly always try this if I feel I have half a chance and that I didn't really understand the situation, if i was clearly wrong then it's my fault and I need to pay up.

Few weeks ago I got a ticket for parking my car the wrong way around in the parking spot. I reversed in as the car is quite large and it's easier to do so. The car well centred and not sticking out but I got a ticket and I didn't know why ? when I found a dragged a parking guy down from his warm office he explained that when you reverse in there's a risk that your exhaust fumes will tarnish the wall at the back and then it will need painting more frequently, no signs nothing but I got a ticket. I followed him back to his office and spent the next 30mins "discussing" the story with him.... eventually he took back the ticket and realised i was going to be a royal pain in his backside and he wanted he gone.....

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
On the autobahn they directed vehicles over 3.5t off to a large layby. I was given the green light (I guess because I had a funtioning Go box) but others were stopped. Nearby there were plenty of polizei ready to stop any who had not diverted.

Given a bit of advanced knowledge, the Go box is not too tricky. Have a read on

https://www.go-maut.at/portal/faces...9564D4DE99158A0A46AA.jvm.prd.internet_neu.p01

You can calculate costs on their map function.

p.s. I would not try facing off an Austrian Polizei, they are not noted for their sense of humour!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When we went through Austria I bought my GoBox at a motorway services in Italy on the way up to the Brenner Pass. I think all the services for about 20 or 30 km before you got there sold both those and the vignettes for under 3.5t

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Why would cars & vans pay to use UK roads? You don't have to pay to use roads in other countries unless you choose to use toll roads.

How far can you drive in Austria or Switzerland without having to pay? More and more countries charge for driving on their roads -Germany is pending - should the UK tax-payer continue to pay for maintaining roads that others use without paying?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
How far can you drive in Austria or Switzerland without having to pay?

In Austria as far as you like as long as you stay off the motorways. In Switzerland not at all.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
What annoys me is on the M20 from Folkestone to Dover, there is a 40mph limit with average speed cameras along the road. I stick to the limit religiously, only to be overtaken by foreign registered lorrys and cars who know they aren't going to get a ticket.
Mind you, it's a stupid speed limit, I can't see any reason for it.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I am aware that a Go Box is necessary if over 3.5 tn, but has anyone also purchased an Emission Sticker for legal display in the cab window?
Or are they for commercial vehicles only?
These coloured stickers denote your Euro Class of engine and have been in force for many months.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you intend to go in to certain areas/cities then you need an emissions sticker for your vehicle which is issued depending on your engine emissions, not on weight/age AFAIK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do they weigh you ? Before travelling on the road ?
Silly question , but "Pug" is 3500 but Ralphs going to uprate to 3850 . How will they know ? Would they tell by the registration ? Number recognition type thing ?
When we uprated ours we were sent a new V5c with a taxation class of PHGV but still showing 3500kg so we had to get a new one sent to us (kept the old one (y) ) so now we have one with 3500kg and 3850kg on .... the sticker for 3500kg is on one door frame and the 3850kg on the other ... just have to remember which door to open! :D

AFAIK they would just want to look at the V5C to check, no vehicle recognition linked back to the DVLA. Most of the time we WILL be below 3500kg anyway so even if they weighed us I doubt we'd have a problem.

Don't forget to use the guy I mentioned for your uprating will you, much cheaper than the other company!

The only DOWN side to all of this is that the new vehicle registration number I bought (WFZ 8708) to put on the camper would only leave us with one V5C at 3850kg so the jury's out as to whether we'll put it on or not, or use it on a car ... or sell it! o_O

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I don't know all the details, but a M/H owner has just received a Euro 240 Fine from ASFINAG for non-display of his Emission Class sticker last year, even though he had provided all his vehicles details in order to purchase a GO Box only two days previous.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't know all the details, but a M/H owner has just received a Euro 240 Fine from ASFINAG for non-display of his Emission Class sticker last year, even though he had provided all his vehicles details in order to purchase a GO Box only two days previous.
AFAIK they 2 systems are completely separate so he should have bought the emissions sticker as well, it appears he relied on the Go Box people to tell him.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We got stung in Austria too. Purchased the go box but they set it up wrong even though we had handed over all of the paperwork. We are twin axle and they set it for 1. When we noticed we tried to change it but it wasn't possible. Got a 100 euro fine in the post. Called to complain about it and they assured us they would refund it but never got anything back.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
They just ask you for your V5 if they want to. Job done and your stuffed
Ralphs uprated Pug now to 4025kg giving us a 1050kg !
Plenty enough. So we won't have anything to worry about now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ralphs uprated Pug now to 4025kg giving us a 1050kg !
Plenty enough. So we won't have anything to worry about now.
I'm surprised you couldn't go up to 4250kg as we did - is your base vehicle classed as Fiat Ducato 'Heavy' XLWB with 16" wheels?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oooops We did :doh: Ralph just told me it wrong to write ! :laughing:
We could have gone to 4500 with air ride but he didn't feel the need. Plenty with what we've got. No worries now , in case we get pulled.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
In Switzerland not at all.
Not sure what you mean here. If you mean you need to pay everywhere you drive in Switzerland, then this is not correct, unless you are over 3500kg. Vignette is required only for motorways. Over 3500kg you pay a daily rate each day you are in the country rate, whether you drive or not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back