Stuck (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2016
Essex United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Bessacar Coachbuilt 6 ber
Exp
Since 2015
Well..... Have just been sat for 2 hours with front wheels stuck in a strip of grass obstructing some pitches on a CC site in Dorset.... Its was only 2 foot wide! Tried loads of different methods to get out and the as the Wardens are no longer allowed to tow anything I told my OH to call AA..
Then some lovely 'Tuggers' came to our rescue and towed us out?.. They were kindness itself and we're very grateful to them.:D

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
"Join the Club
Become part of the biggest touring community in Europe"

Just dont ask for any help from the staff, by the sound of it.....
Glad your sorted...(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Being stuck is horrible, glad you're out. Its a common occurrence, but you soon learn what you can do and what you can't, the slightest incline, the speed, the gear, the ground, the grass length, whether your turning etc all play their part in whether you get stuck or get away with it. But even the best of us get stuck sometimes. I've known lots who were stuck over the years, some up to their axles, none of them are still there :D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well..... Have just been sat for 2 hours with front wheels stuck in a strip of grass obstructing some pitches on a CC site in Dorset.... Its was only 2 foot wide! Tried loads of different methods to get out and the as the Wardens are no longer allowed to tow anything I told my OH to call AA..
Then some lovely 'Tuggers' came to our rescue and towed us out?.. They were kindness itself and we're very grateful to them.:D

Is that the site at Charmouth? It has some steep bits.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
It would have come out easy,if you had taken your Wallet out/off..... That must weigh a TON!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Spirerite!
Tea Bag

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We were assured this site was suitable for MH's .. Spent a happy couple of hours with a spade and waffle boards.

IMG_5761.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

The bit up the middle of the field was solid but as soon as you went left or right you sank.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We got well and truly stuck in the swamp which started as the Bristol Balloon Festival a few years ago, the farmers tractors saved the day for a small fee!

Reactions: f6c

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many years ago when the northern show was at York racecourse they had laid out temp roadway boards but ran out.
The end was a quagmire.
I hit the mud at over 30mph off the temp boards and still got stuck to massive cheers from the many delighted onlookers along the mud road.
Many thanks to Mr Massey & Mr Furguson for the tow out.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Couple of years ago I got stuck in a real snow storm on the M25 lorries and cars stuck sideways across the lanes , luckily I had two strong ladies with me who managed to push me best part of ten miles between junctions :) making us one of the only vehicles making any headway...Our only hold up was when one of them had to go into the bushes for a wee. True story...:)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We once got stuck in sand at a campsite in St Vicentre de Barquera In Spain a German man with a 4x4 motorhome put away his awning drove over to us ..pulled us out then drove back up to his pitch and put his awning out again. His wife stayed sat in her chair looking totally bemused.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Tried loads of different methods to get out and the as the Wardens are no longer allowed to tow anything I told my OH to call AA..
I must say, that's disappointing to read concerning the Caravan Club - not what I would have expected at all. (n)

Glad you got rescued by some kind tuggers. (y)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Wet grass is the worst, even 4x4's get stuck as I found out.
15724942356_beb038fc45_o (2).jpg

Reactions: f6c

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Waffle boards are on my to buy list :)

The ones I use are 1000mm long and 300mm wide. Have various size blocks of wood so can be used as ramps as well. They work really well. Rough side one side. Can also be used to park on if the grass is damp / wet means you can pull the back wheel out of the small hollow they make overnight.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I bought a pair of sand ladders from Tracmat after having a couple of near misses in sand. Postage was expensive so better if you can buy them at a show or from a shop, if there are such places.

OP
OP
Rabbitheartedgirl
May 15, 2016
Essex United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Bessacar Coachbuilt 6 ber
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you Funsters for for all your kinds words :inlove:

Teabag..... His wallet isn't as large as before he met me.... so ditching it wouldn't have helped! :smiley:

As for CC not towing anymore? Probably some 'numpty' has sued them or suchlike or it's the HSE

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We were on a Suntreckers rally in South Lincs last weekend drove there through a sleet storm, arrived and the rally marshal let us in through the barrier saying park on the hard standing opposite my van, I asked if he had his tow rope to hand LOL. Well we tried and did manage to get about 50 meters onto the site before we came to a standstill so hitched up behind his Land Cruiser we were towed onto the hard standing.

There were only two of us with motorhomes both of us suffering the same fate, the rest had four wheel drives and caravans. The grass was churning up walking about on the site, the water was coming up the sides of my boots if I stood still.

So Monday morning we were both towed off and I spent most of the afternoon cleaning the mud off the MoHo, Jenny had to put the mats in the washer but all sorted now, need a holiday now to get over the hard work LOL

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
D

DL42846

Deleted User
... with your user ID I expected you to know that when you go bog snorkelling you don't take the Landy ... :LOL:
I could have done with my diving gear to get the Defender out. It was quiet deep. When I stepped out of the Land Rove I was in it up to my knees.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Got stuck 2 weeks ago at the cliff top car park Runswick Bay just north of Whitby needed a tow off from a builders van. The grass was so slippy you could hardly stand up!!!!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
You learn a lot when one of you uses a wheelchair......one of the things you learn is that wheels and soft stuff don't mix....reading this makes me realise it applies to Motorhomes just as much! (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I know it sounds like an Oxymoron, but the R-V, was far better, even though running near 9t, than the current Fiat, on wet grass and other dodgy surfaces. I suspect that it is a combination of Larger wheels (Rolling dia) and a Larger "Footprint" plus RWD (Twin rears, Not Tag). Used to park up on Bread Crates, which by the end of a long weekend where well "Bent"!. and never failed to roll off, the trick then was to keep moving and do the least possible steering, planning the route "out" was key.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back