Nichol1

Free Member
Sep 6, 2011
Andalucia, Spain.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Not yet started due to registration problem.
Hi,
Just joined up so greeting to you all from Andalucia.
Been looking for a motorhome for a long time, always fancied the classic Hymer type and low on funds so i opted for my dream Motorhome, the Hymer S555, and i love it.
mail

Bought it in Germany on export plates that last only 10 days, drove it down to my house in Spain to get it registered on Spanish plates, not a problem i thought as i did my car that way 7 years ago.
Wrong, a new law passed in Spain last year makes it impossible to register an older vehicle without a Homologation certificate for the model.
Crazy, it is Europe, isn't it? Spain, unfortunately is stuck in the middle ages, this is the same for all kinds of paperwork, driving licences, house deeds, anything you can imagine- Spain bu-----s it up and then blames you.
So to anyone thinking of buying a motorhome in Germany and having it registered in Spain.....Don't do it.... Buy it in the UK, it is easier, cheaper and you know where you are at.
Bye the way, does anyone know how i can get my precious Hymer to UK to get it registered. The number plates are expired but i am so sick of trying to do it legally that i often thing 'To hell i will just drive it to Santander at night and catch the ferry to Portsmouth,' Once in UK all is OK right? Registration is a formality isn't it?
If anyone has any advice i would love to hear from you.

Cioa, or more in tune, Hasta Luago.

I see i am amongst fellow SBIers, lovely to meet you.

http://www.toenail-care.com/
Ian

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Not sure of the legalities of getting into the UK with plates you have. But I'm sure someone will know.
I'm also trying to buy a m/home in France--should be easy--ha!! Email advertisers who don't reply, looked at vans which are way overpriced for condition. told all sorts of rubbish by vendors (who assume a woman can't spot worn tyres or know French law on CT (MOT) and transferring ownership.)
Am on verge of going over to UK to buy and either re-register in France (nightmare, I'm told) or keep it registered at friend's UK address.

OP
OP
N

Nichol1

Free Member
Sep 6, 2011
Andalucia, Spain.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Don't

Hi Hollyberry,
I see you are a fellow SBIer, nice to meet you. I have just been working on my site and just got past the 30 page mark, it is a learning curve eh! Nice site you have. I will look at the other later on.

Regarding the vehicles, honestly Hollyberry you have to keep it real, i am messed up with a house (cortijo) in Spain and i have a residencia NIF no etc and it is allllllllllllll mixed up. I would advise keeping everything UK even if it means going back once a year for am mot certificate.
Anyway, everything is cheaper in UK now. I saw a beautiful Hymer 1999 model mercedes for under £20,000. Cheaper than in Germany.
Keep it UK is my advice, and keep europe as a 'holiday' place.
All the best
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
If you bring a UK registered vehicle into Spain and intend to keep it here you are required by law to re-register it on Spanish plates within 6 months. I know a lot of Brits don't bother but the police are tightening up and if you have an accident the insurers won't pay out etc. so beware. :cry:
I came over in a UK motorhome 4 years ago but was unable to re-register it because the cabin door was on the wrong side so something else to take into consideration.
Re getting your MH back to the UK, I have seen adverts for transportation of vehicle but I guess it won't be cheap and possibly even more than the van is worth. Good Luck!
Wander, sunning himself on the Costa Blanca, not a cloud in the sky, 28 degrees, tough, but someone has to do it!::bigsmile:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Welcome to MotorhomeFUN :Smile::thumb: You have an interesting web site

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Lots of people in the UK import from Germany, so provided you have a UK address .. registration shouldn't be a problem..

Living in Spain is a different matter.. as already said it has to be registered within 6 months .. that could be gotten around if you retain your UK address and travel around the EU, and spend less than 6 months in Spain with each visit..

.. provided your insurance company are happy, I'd drive back to the ferry and get back to the UK asap

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. i would say just drive it back to uk. nobody knows or cares about german export plates ,only germany . best drive in the day night time is suspicious . some leave germany and stay on export plates for years. my advise is uk licence uk insurance uk reg vehicle. but if you live in spain you may meet problems . its a risk you take. best luck.
cheers alan.

OP
OP
N

Nichol1

Free Member
Sep 6, 2011
Andalucia, Spain.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Tempted to just 'Do It'

Thanks for all your posts, it is very assuring to be amongst people who really do have your best interests at heart. I have read your posts over and over jumping from, OK i am going to just drive it back, to trying to hire a low loader to get it back.
I talked with a really decent guy in a UK garage, in Dover.
It is called Andys of Dover believe it or not they do motorhome MOT's, repair facilities and services etc, so with the DVLA registration in Hastings it makes for a very handy place just off the Calais to Dover Ferry.
He more or less said 'keep it legal' which, when you think of it, is about the right advice.
So, i have decided not to drive it back to UK for this reason and, the fact that i am a big chicken too.
I am going to save up some money and hire a transporter to give it a piggy back and do the job strictly within the law, as difficult and as expensive as it no doubt will be.
I think behind all of this lies a disfunctional Europe, where people are given the idea that europe is one, but it is not is it? I can't get insurance for the van here in Spain, It has to be from UK, but why is that when UK is part of the european union. So what is this Europe all about then? How come things are working out more difficult?
Beats me, i just have to bite the bullet here i think.

Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
things arent working out more difficult .they always were difficult. people think uk is difficult many other places are much more. you can get insurance somewhere in fuengarola i have friends in malaga insure there vehicles there. the ruleshave hardly changed its just people dont check them first.
there should be away of getting the type aproval for it from germany. eu law says type aproval in one country in eu must be acepted by other countries in the eu. i,m sure unless its very early it must have had type aproval in germany.

OP
OP
N

Nichol1

Free Member
Sep 6, 2011
Andalucia, Spain.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I bought a Nissan Terrano in Germany, 4 years ago. Drove it here on German export plates and registered it onto Spanish plates, no problem. I pay Spanish road tax for it, ITV (mot) it, etc.
Only last year a new Spanish law was passed stopping this from happening, Why, i don't know.
Anyway, i have found a website called http://www.shiply.com/
It seems like a fine idea for campervan people who, like me, get stuck now and then. You display what you want done ie, Ship a motorhome from Almeria Spain to Dover UK and transport people bid for the job.
A bit like Ebay where their work record is displayed etc.
Something to keep a note of 'just in case'.
Also Link Removed is a garage just off the ferry in Dover that do motorhome repairs and MOT.
It's good to talk eh!

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Hi Nichol,

Hope all goes well with your plans and you get the MH back to the UK okay. Regarding insurance, there is a company in Spain that insures motorhomes and caravans. They are:
Zalba-Caldu Correduria de Seguros SA, C/ Dinamarca, 1, Edificio Z-C, Poligono La Casaza, 50180 Utebo (Zaragoza). Tel: 902 405 540 or 976 373 738 Fax 902 405 541.

They have insured my wagon for the last three years without any problems. Hope that helps.
regards
Wander

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
Fully understood

Hi Ian..
We are in Andalucia also and fully understand the situation your in. We looked a buying in UK then transferring to Spanish plates. Friends in Sayalonga bought a ten year old motorhome from some eastern block country then transferred to Spanish plates which costs 2,500 euros.
As you have found out it is very fickle here in Spain when it comes to procedures and paperwork, I would of thought your predicament would of applied to his import as well. Fortunately we bought a Spanish registered motorhome to save all the hassle and cost. Once you have balanced up the cost against buying local I would suggest your better off buying local than importing, plus you won't have sleepless nights. Mind you if you compare the price of Tetley Tea bags in Iceland against Tesco it does make one ponder :)
Best of luck.... head north.

atb Neil

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Iceland ought to be hung out to dry! They charge 1.40 euros to the pound when the exchange rate is around 1.12 to the pound. :Sad: And none of their BOGOF's apply over here. The local quicksave are usually cheaper.:Smile:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Iceland ought to be hung out to dry! They charge 1.40 euros to the pound when the exchange rate is around 1.12 to the pound. :Sad: And none of their BOGOF's apply over here. The local quicksave are usually cheaper.:Smile:
But they have to pay transportation costs and we all know how many MPG big trucks do!
No-one forces people to buy from Iceland Overseas. I know if I want to buy UK items then i'm going to have to pay extra for them but it's my choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back