STRUTH,,, how do ya choose a sat-nav Borr, and wadda bout,,, (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Chunnel booked April 4th, planning on 6 month tour,,, our first,!
Been reading all the posts re S-Ns trying to figure the "funsters favourite",,, it would appear there isn't one, so many differing opinions...
And as for all the "up-load this ape to my eye pud and down-load the up-date to my laptap and transfer that lot via a blewtooth wotsit (that ya canna even see,?!!) to ma new Tom-Tum sumkard thingy" ,,,
I mean,,, wot IS all this guff,?!!!

Ass all mor'un a old'un kun take Borr, ass-specially one from Narfuk,?!

If that lot int enuff ter worry bout, wees now got this poor British guy who suffered a seizure in France and they hadda transfer im via helicopter to a major orsepital,,, sum folk a sayin thas gonna cost the poor souls a shed load of foldin cos t'med insurance wunt cover'ut...

Ass all a worryun Borr,,, think'un mabbees we'll stay home un'watch t'telly,???

Whose furkun idea woz this anyways,?! :confused:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Chunnel booked April 4th, planning on 6 month tour,,, our first,!
Been reading all the posts re S-Ns trying to figure the "funsters favourite",,, it would appear there isn't one, so many differing opinions...
And as for all the "up-load this ape to my eye pud and down-load the up-date to my laptap and transfer that lot via a blewtooth wotsit (that ya canna even see,?!!) to ma new Tom-Tum sumkard thingy" ,,,
I mean,,, wot IS all this guff,?!!!

Ass all mor'un a old'un kun take Borr, ass-specially one from Narfuk,?!

If that lot int enuff ter worry bout, wees now got this poor British guy who suffered a seizure in France and they hadda transfer im via helicopter to a major orsepital,,, sum folk a sayin thas gonna cost the poor souls a shed load of foldin cos t'med insurance wunt cover'ut...

Ass all a worryun Borr,,, think'un mabbees we'll stay home un'watch t'telly,???

Whose furkun idea woz this anyways,?! :confused:
Wouldn't bother with a dedicated sat nav , if you havnt got one , get yourself a smartphone, cheaper than a sat nav and they have all got a sat nav in them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wouldn't bother with a dedicated sat nav , if you havnt got one , get yourself a smartphone, cheaper than a sat nav and they have all got a sat nav in them.

I always use the sat nav on my phone in the UK, I find that google, which I use most is much more accurate, than my TomTom/Garmin I also use co-pilot on thephone now and again. Question.. Does your phone use expensive data when using satnav abroad?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I always use the sat nav on my phone in the UK, I find that google, which I use most is much more accurate, than my TomTom/Garmin I also use co-pilot on thephone now and again. Question.. Does your phone use expensive data when using satnav abroad?
How does the sat nav on your new Blaupunkt compare Jim? I haven't used mine yet as it seems I have the wrong software loaded and am waiting for a new SIM card.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How does the sat nav on your new Blaupunkt compare Jim? I haven't used mine yet as it seems I have the wrong software loaded and am waiting for a new SIM card.

We're itching to use it, but havn't done 60 miles since we had it fitted. Were still parked up next to Swansea hospital, just about to start our 6th month here :eek: . The little we have used it has been great and well integrated with the radio and mobile phone etc.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you download maps to your phone it won't use any data, just works off gps like any satnav.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Our Motorhome has got built in sat nav but I'm not sure I can trust it- see my other post "12ELE2000 head unit". Last year we hired a Motorhome before making a decision to buy. I bought an Aguri sat nav that is advertised in the C&CC magazine. You can enter your dimensions etc. It worked well for us in France. It is now back up for the flaky unit as mentioned above.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Obviously living in Norfolk since 1984 has not yet accustomed me to the language. Waddee say? :wait:
At first reading I didn't understand a word but reading again after a trip to the pub it all became clear, the magic of beer. Who needs Google translate.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There is a new fangled thing just come out,,its called a map,,BUSBY:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you download maps to your phone it won't use any data, just works off gps like any satnav.
Just checking the data use on my phone and the total data used for Mapping Services (whatever they are) is over 900mb. I've no idea what that is for or how long its taken to get that high. I will reset it and see what it uses on a trip.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We use the Garmin Camper from the Caravan Club. To us, not too brilliant at downloading etc., it is ideal as it comes pre-loaded with Caravan Club and ACSI sites!

Being able to input dimensions for the motorhome was the main reason for buying it.

So far it has worked brilliantly over the last six months.(y)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie

Try downloading navmii, from iOS or android. Works very well, works off gps and you are able to put in veh. dimensions. Free.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Aldi selling the Garmin again with lifetime mapping @ £89.99 from the 26/02/17
but it's the nuvi 58 this time not the Camper !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Try downloading navmii, from iOS or android. Works very well, works off gps and you are able to put in veh. dimensions. Free.
I have tried them all and found "here maps" to be the best, but everyone to there own, by the way , if you happen to have a windows phone it already has one on it and you can download the maps to that if you want to use it offline, but it's about the best thing about windows phones, don't get tempted to one , rubbish.
I would stick to an android phone with here maps on it, by the way here maps use the same system that high end cars use in their fitted sat nav.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I use the Garmin 760 camper and find it is pretty good both in the UK and France.
It does have a daft fit at times and tries to make a detour for no good reason but generally it is accurate.

I also use CoPilot on an iPad which is a heck of a lot cheaper but, even though there is a Caravan setting, it has tried to take us under very low bridges.
The newish Caravan version (a different app and a bit more expensive) should stop that happening but I haven't tried that yet.

Richard.

OP
OP
bigguspeckus
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
At first reading I didn't understand a word but reading again after a trip to the pub it all became clear, the magic of beer. Who needs Google translate.
Kum yew orn dunear tur Narfuk Borr,,, t'Wroxum Otell gart a luvlee bar ovurlookun t'rivur, theys sell t'bestust booze int'tur countree,,, ass kalled Aspells Cidur,,, ass 7% Borr,,,
I git 6 oar 7 pints O that stuff darn ma'nek an'I feel like I'kun walk un'watur ,,, trubbul is Borr, I keep tryun tu,!!!
Bin pulled out t'rivur 5 times this'un larst month alone,,,
rivur rescue reckuns theys gonnur start chargin me if'un eyes do'ut agin.

Asssa bit harsh if'un yew arsk me Borr,,, shirley ass t'otells falt fer sellun me tur'stuff,,,
I mean, if'un yews carnt go'fur a little stroll ont'tur rivur when yews pizzed on Aspells,,, when the furk can'yur,?!!!
:whistle::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Kum yew orn dunear tur Narfuk Borr,,, t'Wroxum Otell gart a luvlee bar ovurlookun t'rivur, theys sell t'bestust booze int'tur countree,,, ass kalled Aspells Cidur,,, ass 7% Borr,,,
I git 6 oar 7 pints'your that stuff darn ma'nek an'I feel like I'kun walk un'watur ,,, trubbul is Borr, I keep tryun tu,!!!
Bin pulled out t'rivur 5 times this'un larst month alone,,,
rivur rescue reckuns theys gonnur start chargin me if'un eyes do'ut agin.

Asssa bit harsh if'un yew arsk me Borr,,, shirley ass t'otells falt fer sellun me tur'stuff,,,
I mean, if'un yews carnt go'fur a little stroll ont'tur rivur when yews pizzed on Aspells,,, when the furk can'yur,?!!!
:whistle::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ast Eva got as fer as George formbys hise ont river?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a Snooper, a TomTom and a Chinese cheapy which I find the best. If I get stuck I have Here maps on my phone and Navmii on a laptop.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
TomTom with live traffic updates is a Godsend when commuting to different workplaces round our way. We're rarely held up for more than 10 minutes.

I stick the CCI website's free aire/campsite POIs on it for navigating round Europe, plus POIs for all the major European supermarkets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back