Exp
since 08
just had this sent by my little sister
thought i would share

its the tongue thats the
extra identification
last paragraph

STROKE HAS A NEW INDICATOR
They say if this message is read by ten people, you stand a chance of saving one life. Will you Share this and help Save A Life?

Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the Tongue

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) ...she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.
Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 PM Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE TO READ THIS:
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR. Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A
SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. Chicken Soup)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke --------
Stick out Your Tongue!
NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is
'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.
A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this message sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
I HAVE DONE MY PART....WILL YOU DO YOURS?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
This is good advise. My brother was with our dad in 2002 when he had a stroke (age 62) but as neither is us had any previous awareness he did not think that dad being unsteady on his feet was a big deal and dad was adamant he was fine.
The outcome was that dad set off in the morning to (unusually) give someone a lift into work and had a minor bump in the car in an area he did not know well. The lady who came out to see what was happening called the police as she thought he was drunk. Only when the policeman couldn't get him out of the car, he knew what was wrong so called the ambulance.
Dad lived till 2012, struggling on with a useless left arm and extreme difficulty walking. He was really frustrated that they took his driving licence away and basically gave up.
The point to this is really what they told us on the Stroke Unit. They said that most people suffering a stroke show signs that things are wrong but get ignored. If dad was not as stubborn and accepted some help, his life could have been very different.
The signs are there, don't ignore them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sadly we too have current and previous experience of strokes. several family members have had strokes and the a few months back, so did my wife Bren. all above is excellent advice other than the guarantee that if caught early enough then its effects can be fully reversed. not always the case, as there are more than one type of stroke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think there is anything new about this and think it has been around since around 2003. I'm no doctor but the consensus seems to be if the tongue is "deviated" then it is likely to be a serious stroke and other signs such as a lop-sided smile will be visible. In other words it doesn't add anything to the signs which have already been publicised. Which are:

S - Ask the person to SMILE.
T - Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
R - Ask the person to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If the person has trouble with ANY ONE of these, call 999.

And importantly, the absence of these signs does not mean someone is not having a stroke.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you for this info. I have heard of the first three indicators before but had completely forgotten them. I hope to remember them in future.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Thank you for this I have sent it to a few friends here in Belgium.
Its good to keep it in peoples minds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back