Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So what is the Answer?. In my case to satisfy the requirements of my insurer. To give some "peace of mind". In that I can see my M-H, on the Cell Phone when it is parked on my driveway. IF it moves I will get a Text, and it will update every few minutes (or until they find the hiding place!). I can (theoretically) kill the engine remotely. But in any case I have the VERY substantial Length of Steel Buried 4+ ft in the ground with a Post secured above ground which would need a very noisy device to cut!. By which time my neighbours would have phoned Mr Plod. So I reckon I have done all in my power to secure my Property, and can sleep at nights.

Pete

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think the answer is to take all the precautions you can afford to deter the opportunist thieves that are out there and bear in mind that if it's going to take more time make lots of noise and delay them,in all likelihood they'll probably move onto an easier target leaving your van well alone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Its been interesting to hear all of your opinions and thoughts.
I possibly over think these things, my only priority is to keep my family as safe as possible while travelling.
I spoke to the guys at vanbitz earlier who, once again, gave some great advice and helped to put my mind at rest.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The only thing I would add, to try and put your mind at rest is this - the great thing about motorhoming in Europe is that there are so many places to stop that if your chosen Aire or parking place doesn't feel right or looks a bit dodgy there WILL be another place just a few kilometres away.

In our 4 years of motorhoming we only came across this situation once and that was in France. We parked up, I had almost got the kettle on and a group of youngsters turned up, using our van as a leaning post and somewhere to shelter from the wind to have a fag, or something similar!! A quick look at the Camper Contact app, showed another Aire about 5k away so we moved to there. Hardly a scary situation but one that might have been a bit rowdy later on.

Also, or so it seems to us, motorhomes are so common over here that nobody takes much notice of them. If you see a MoHo parked in the street in England it's unusual, over here it's common, they are everywhere.

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The trip is going well thanks. We had a little hic up with one of our battries but Colin resolved that, but Sod's law means it's been cloudy and dull since so the Solars have not been able to recharge the remaining battries. We managed to get a couple of hours plugged in yesterday so we are not too bad on the power front.

Lucky you have a handy man on board, god knows what Shelley will do in a similar situation!
Im glad your sorted now, do you know where you're heading next?

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The only thing I would add, to try and put your mind at rest is this - the great thing about motorhoming in Europe is that there are so many places to stop that if your chosen Aire or parking place doesn't feel right or looks a bit dodgy there WILL be another place just a few kilometres away.

Ive heard this advice a few times now, definitely something we'll pay attention to.
I have the camper contact app, can this be used offline or do you need some sort of data capability?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Lucky you have a handy man on board, god knows what Shelley will do in a similar situation!
Im glad your sorted now, do you know where you're heading next?
It depends on the snow fall in the Spainsh ski resorts. We want to ski for a week or two and then it will either be Morocco followed by Portugal, or straight to Portugal.

When are you planning to start your adventure?

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
When are you planning to start your adventure?

We're going to head off early Jan now, we feel it would be a little mean to take our boy away from his grandparents at this time of year.
Still working out exactly what we need to take with us etc etc but getting excited to be setting sail soon

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We're going to head off early Jan now, we feel it would be a little mean to take our boy away from his grandparents at this time of year.
Still working out exactly what we need to take with us etc etc but getting excited to be setting sail soon
Sounds like a fantastic plan and not long to wait now. Stay in touch and I am sure we will meet somewhere on the road.

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I hope so.
Thank you so much for your help, we've made good use of the advice that you gave us when we came to see Dora, all the little things have really helped

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

In our 4 years of motorhoming we only came across this situation once and that was in France. We parked up, I had almost got the kettle on and a group of youngsters turned up, using our van as a leaning post and somewhere to shelter from the wind to have a fag, or something similar!! A quick look at the Camper Contact app, showed another Aire about 5k away so we moved to there. Hardly a scary situation but one that might have been a bit rowdy later on.

Also, or so it seems to us, motorhomes are so common over here that nobody takes much notice of them. If you see a MoHo parked in the street in England it's unusual, over here it's common, they are everywhere.

Hi just looked at that app. some users reporting that it will not open OR that the latest upgrade has deleted some locations. Have you any Feedback?

Pete

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi just looked at that app. some users reporting that it will not open OR that the latest upgrade has deleted some locations. Have you any Feedback?

Pete
Hi Pete

We haven't experienced any problems as yet. Hav been using it pretty much non stop since January. I use the app on a iPad and iPhone, with Colin using the Andriod version on a Samsung phone and tab.

Maybe some locations delete after upgrades because the location has been closed. Not all of the stops listed are official camping places or Aires, some are just where somebody has found a nice place to stop and listed it.

We have found it invaluable but not infallible. Just as sometimes you arrive at an Aire listed in the All the Aires book only to find it closed down and has been for sometime.

Once you have found a stop that you might want to visit, (if you have internet) you can go into the main website, put in the site code and the reviews will have all been translated into English. It's translated by machine so some of the comments are a little strange but you can usually figure out the meaning.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
But the reality is that Tracking systems are not "hugely expensive" in 1996 we were fitting "LEO" Tracking systems (Low Earth Orbit) at £1499 plus £200 a year monitoring. At the end of 2015 our cheapest monitored option is £199 installed.

Also the statement easily jammable, is the same as "easily picked"

Do you know of a single motorhome that was stolen and the use of a "jammer" was used to defeat the Thatcham approved and installed Tracking system? In fact, do you know of a single motorhome stolen, not recovered to the owners, when a Thatcham approved tracking device was fitted?

Does anyone? Actual case, not a friend of a friend of a friend?
Thanks Eddie, I'm a newbie looking to get the growler when I get my new motorhome, and I was going to ask the same question on here.
Mickey.

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Thanks Eddie, I'm a newbie looking to get the growler when I get my new motorhome, and I was going to ask the same question on here.
Mickey.
My 1999 van has got a strikeback alarm all good still!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
if the growler can pick up a mouse then im sure that it can pick up movement from a human ,i set my immobiliser to on,so in theory if someone trys to nick my moho ,they will set off the alarm and even if they manage to shut it up ,ill have been notified by text ,they then would have to by pass the imobiliser ,that all takes time and time gives me the opportunity to get back to my moho and either follow the thief or engadge him in hand to hand combat :xThumb:

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Just remember that you can defend yourself with a similar weapon that you are attacked with. So with that in mind always carry two baseball bats that way you can put the spare one in the attackers still twitching hands after you have beat the shit out of him. :sneaky:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just remember that you can defend yourself with a similar weapon that you are attacked with. So with that in mind always carry two baseball bats that way you can put the spare one in the attackers still twitching hands after you have beat the shit out of him. :sneaky:

(y)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
If anyone wants to steal my keys they can have them rather than do a load of damage or make a load of mess searching for them.

They won't be stealing my van with them though.

If your keys are anywhere that you aren't, such as your home while you're not there, you are right. But if they take the keys from you personally, or from your motorhome while you're in it or with it, then I disagree. Someone who's got his hands on the keys while you're there isn't going to say "Oh dear, I can't seem to start this vehicle" (!) They are, on the other hand, going to get you to start it for them, or do whatever needs doing for them to start it themselves.

Security on our last vehicle was pretty good, with strong mortice locks on all doors ++++ various other measures. We were teavelling long-term so the keys were always with us and had agreed that if anyone demanded them - I think you know what I mean ... backing up their demand with a gun, a knife, a something else or brute force of some other kind - then the answer was to be "Take them."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back