Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The guys at vanbitz have our Euramobil at the moment, fitting their growler alarm and a few other bits while its there.
The thing I can't quite decide on at the moment is whether to have the additional sensors on the habitation windows and heki.
I was wondering other peoples thoughts on this, whether you have a similar system with windows etc alarmed and if its worthwhile.
Our habitation windows are high up so perhaps not quite so important but the heki worries me, especially considering that the motorhome has a ladder on its butt!!
Any ideas folks?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You'll have an internal motion sensor as standard so it's probably overkill
Better to have the garage doors alarmed.

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks Robert,
All external lockers and garage doors are being alarmed, just hate the thought of a scally jumping in through the roof light before the sensor registers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I was certainly parked next to a very smart looking Hymer.
I should probably add that we our planning a 12 month tour of Europe which is why i'm feeling all security conscious/paranoid!!

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I feel your pain, we were also relieved of a mountain of cash but I think a worthwhile investment.
If you had of stuck your head out you could have had a good laugh at me trying to work out how to empty the loo!!!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you having the remote control immobiliser fitted?
Works even if your keys are stolen
And it's a tracker too

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Dead locks to cab doors and hab door might be worth considering

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I think we'll possibly invest in a cab door deadlock.
We have also considered the immobiliser but not made a decision there yet either

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've been particularly impressed with the immobiliser - set it when the vans on the drive, even if a my house is burgled and my keys are stolen, my MH is going nowhere
A few hundred quid for extra peace of mind

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I best give them a call tomorrow!!
Thanks for the input chaps

OP
OP
Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
That sounds like a handy little option.
Are the Growlers not an immobiliser as standard?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I guess your van will already have a mobiliser fitted as standard. But that works with the key, so if your keys are stolen they can start the motorhome. The non-starter is armed and disarmed via text messages from your phone. When armed it will not start, even with your keys until you disarm it via text.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Good evening gentlemen, just finished after a hard day at the office

Yes that's best..I think they use META systems. Have a look on Thatcham Web site
No our Non Starter system is exclusive to us

Peterc10 is referring to our "Non Starter" system which incorporates your smart phones into your Motorhome security system

Edit:Broken Link Removed

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Just remember @Bill and Shell you will probably have your internal sensors turned off a good deal of the time as you have a dog. Or at least if you leave him in the van at anytime you will.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Two things here, don't ever leave your keys around in a house or pockets....ever, but in a hidden safe (or otherwise hard to find place) or on your person... always. Secondly all trackers (to my knowledge) can be defeated by a £30 device that fits in the vehicles cigarette lighter, currently for sale on EBay UK!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Two things here, don't ever leave your keys around in a house or pockets....ever, but in a hidden safe (or otherwise hard to find place) or on your person... always. Secondly all trackers (to my knowledge) can be defeated by a £30 device that fits in the vehicles cigarette lighter, currently for sale on EBay UK!
No not all trackers can be defeated by the device you mention. It is illegal to even own such a device, and it would be unwise to import one:xeek:. Anyway, we are talking about GSM immobilisers (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No not all trackers can be defeated by the device you mention. It is illegal to even own such a device, and it would be unwise to import one:xeek:. Anyway, we are talking about GSM immobilisers (y)

The problem with that Eddie is the "Scrotes" that use them are not really concerned with "legality! in the first place!!!. Bit like owning a Gun. The Honest citizen cannot. but all the Criminals can. they just run one more risk is all of a longer sentence IF caught!.

Pete

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The problem with that Eddie is the "Scrotes" that use them are not really concerned with "legality! in the first place!!!. Bit like owning a Gun. The Honest citizen cannot. but all the Criminals can. they just run one more risk is all of a longer sentence IF caught!.

Pete
I take your point, but try to think of it this way thieves been able to pick the locks for centuries but we all still lock everything valuable up.

Ironically we catch thieves, we lock them up as well:xrofl:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi folks, hows the trip going??
Can I ask what options you had fitted??
The trip is going well thanks. We had a little hic up with one of our battries but Colin resolved that, but Sod's law means it's been cloudy and dull since so the Solars have not been able to recharge the remaining battries. We managed to get a couple of hours plugged in yesterday so we are not too bad on the power front.

Anyway to your question - we had a combination of the Strikeback with a few Growler goodies. We opted for all lockers to be alarmed, extra external sirens at the back and the enhanced LED driver. Colin had already fitted driver and hab door deadlocks. I think that was about it. We don't have a big roof skylight, just 3 small ones, one of which now houses the Fantastic Fan. I hadn't thought about alarming the skylights until you mentioned it and maybe we should have had the windows done too but these bits can be added at anytime.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just to be clear I did not buy the Non Starter for its tracking ability - other cheaper items can do that better. I bought it for its ability to immobilise the motorhome remotely so that it cannot be driven away even if my keys are stolen. AFAIK the Ebay thingummy referred to will not override that, it just blocks me from disarming it!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just had a thought. If you had your roof light alarmed, would it prevent you leaving it open at night?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just had a thought. If you had your roof light alarmed, would it prevent you leaving it open at night?
No it doesn't stop you from leaving it open, but it does stop you opening it once the Growler is armed. With the massive deterrent value Growler has I think it highly unlikely that a potential thief would try to break in that way to be honest.

Save your money

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The ones I have seen on fleabay work by locally jamming the GPS (L1) 1500-1600MHz frequency, so out of interest how do the trackers that are not defeated get past the fact the L1 signal is missing ??? Or are you talking L2 military ones?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The ones I have seen on fleabay work by locally jamming the GPS (L1) 1500-1600MHz frequency, so out of interest how do the trackers that are not defeated get past the fact the L1 signal is missing ??? Or are you talking L2 military ones?
Not all tracking systems use two way communication via the GSM network. :sneaky:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Not all tracking systems use two way communication via the GSM network. :sneaky:
But you don't need a GSM/radio network to operate a GPS signal, blocking the GPS signal means the GSM or other radio communication system in use is just reporting back the last known location of the last known GPS signal. If the GPS signal has been blocked and the vehicle moved but the GPS via GSM/radio is still reporting the last known location then the weakest point of the system has meant it has failed?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back