Street Parking in Bournemouth (1 Viewer)

John Clark

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Salford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
since 1976
Hi,
Am in Bournemouth and I notice the signs on the streets near the seafront say 'Cars and Motorcycles Only' There is a picture of a car, but no other indication of any restriction. There are motorhomes parked, also a few light vans, I spoke to a couple of drivers who said they have had no problems so far.
So my question is - How do they define a car?
I noticed on another thread a lawyer mentioned a van being fined for parking in a car space, but did not say whether any other restrictions were being infringed - like parking outside a marked bay, being over a weight limit etc.
(I have a campervan that is registered as a 3.5tonne Goods Vehicle)i

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi,
Am in Bournemouth and I notice the signs on the streets near the seafront say 'Cars and Motorcycles Only' There is a picture of a car, but no other indication of any restriction. There are motorhomes parked, also a few light vans, I spoke to a couple of drivers who said they have had no problems so far.
So my question is - How do they define a car?
I noticed on another thread a lawyer mentioned a van being fined for parking in a car space, but did not say whether any other restrictions were being infringed - like parking outside a marked bay, being over a weight limit etc.
(I have a campervan that is registered as a 3.5tonne Goods Vehicle)i
They make it a bit easier to understand around the corner in Swanage. No parking for any vehicle with cooking facilities on board.:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Bournemouth Council used to have a healthy attitude to off-street motorhome parking and specifically made spaces available in town centre car parks as well as a couple further out. The information on their web site isn't very clear now, though.

As far as on-street MH parking goes the council was more restrictive. Apparently the popular areas have a limited amount of off-road parking available and the roads aren't all that wide. That was the reason for the "Cars and motorcycles only." notices which were (still are?) accompanied by "No camping, cooking or overnight parking".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

John Clark

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Salford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
since 1976
Thanks for the replies. Some of the narrower roads have white lines marked out, but the wider ones don't - (and are not outside anybodys house - everyone parking there looks like a visitor)
I saw the notice "No camping, cooking or overnight sleeping" which presumably can be only be enforceable if they can see what you are doing - which they can't in my van :winky:
So I wondered if the bit about cars and motorcycles only would be unenforceable too - whether they have a Traffic Regulation Order order defining what is a car?

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for the replies. Some of the narrower roads have white lines marked out, but the wider ones don't - (and are not outside anybodys house - everyone parking there looks like a visitor)
I saw the notice "No camping, cooking or overnight sleeping" which presumably can be only be enforceable if they can see what you are doing - which they can't in my van :winky:
If a MH is in the same "tourist desirable" place for several days or there is always a number of MHs in such a location then it's pretty obvious that they are there for habitation purposes - which, whatever anyone might like to pretend, is different from simply parking ::bigsmile:
So I wondered if the bit about cars and motorcycles only would be unenforceable too - whether they have a Traffic Regulation Order order defining what is a car?
If there is a parking restriction in place it has to have come about because of a TRO and, unless the order is badly written it will define the classes off vehicles allowed to park, meaning any other vehicle is not allowed. If interested, ask Bournemouth for details in an e-mail - they have to (and will) reply under FoI.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I always look forward to an argument with this one particularly using either severn bridge or Dartford or the one that goes across at Plymouth. I wind myself up ready for a verbal spat with the guys and each time they charge me for a car instead of a lorry (as is in their pictures of a Luton as you approach for a much higher price)

My arguement is read my tax disc, It says PLG, Private Light Goods, I have taken no extra test and I look forward to holding up the traffic one day. No doubt some other ignorant person has beaten me to this battle as they all charge for a car.

As for Bournemouth, Never had a problem parking at the front at Boscombe pier near the alleged surf beach. I have however had tremendous problems catching the waves down there. Parking is generally not an issue but would you really want to stay overnight as, if I remember rightly it was a pound an hour !

OP
OP
J

John Clark

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Salford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
since 1976
If there is a parking restriction in place it has to have come about because of a TRO and, unless the order is badly written it will define the classes off vehicles allowed to park, meaning any other vehicle is not allowed. If interested, ask Bournemouth for details in an e-mail - they have to (and will) reply under FoI.

Thanks for your help. I called in at Bournemouth Town Hall yesterday, I saw four staff who didn't know what the signs meant! and so eventually got to see a 'parking control officer' who told me these 'cars and motorcycles only' signs only allowed parking for vehicles with 'PLG' on the tax disc. But since then I have seen cars that say othe things like 'Historic' on the tax disc.

It would be very interesting to see the TRO as you suggest - to see how they define 'cars and motorcycles only'
Do you have their contact details please - how to request it?
If you would send Bournemouth Council the email asking for it that would be even better as you know what to say :Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for your help. I called in at Bournemouth Town Hall yesterday, I saw four staff who didn't know what the signs meant! and so eventually got to see a 'parking control officer' who told me these 'cars and motorcycles only' signs only allowed parking for vehicles with 'PLG' on the tax disc. But since then I have seen cars that say othe things like 'Historic' on the tax disc.

It would be very interesting to see the TRO as you suggest - to see how they define 'cars and motorcycles only'
Do you have their contact details please - how to request it?
If you would send Bournemouth Council the email asking for it that would be even better as you know what to say :Blush:

I suspect that the person you saw hasn't been fully briefed regarding taxation classes. The contact details for the Parking office are Here. All you need to say is that you are unclear as to whether you can park your MH where the signs are in place, because you are unsure of the definition of "cars" in the TRO, and ask that they send you an explanation.

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
They make it a bit easier to understand around the corner in Swanage. No parking for any vehicle with cooking facilities on board.:Sad:
Been there done that. The sign says "Cars Only" on swanage overdrive. When I tried to explain that I was only the size of a large car, (5m 40'), he told me either move away or I would get a ticket. Not a very friendly place to visit.

OP
OP
J

John Clark

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Salford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
since 1976
I suspect that the person you saw hasn't been fully briefed regarding taxation classes. The contact details for the Parking office are Here. All you need to say is that you are unclear as to whether you can park your MH where the signs are in place, because you are unsure of the definition of "cars" in the TRO, and ask that they send you an explanation.

Well I was passing Bournemouth Town Hall – the address in your link, so called in again today. Saw another parking supervisor She reiterated that only vehicles with PLG on the tax disc were allowed to park in the car parking areas. I told her that PLG must be an old classification because it seems only the old cars have it on their tax disc now – except for the very old cars which have ‘historic’. Very few cars in their car park have PLG on the tax disc All I got was a Blank stare.
I asked to see the Traffic Regulation Order. Another Blank Stare. I said there would have to be one or the restriction would be unenforceable. She said there must be one so I asked to see it under freedom of information legislation. She said I would have to send in a written request by email. I said can’t you just show me a copy. She said we can’t just show it to anyone. I said she had to make it publicly available under freedom of information legislation. She repeated I would have to send in a written request by email.
I am wondering whether they have actually got a TRO to enforce this.
Because if they had got one I don’t see why they wouldn’t show it to me without writing in?
Out in the street I saw a traffic warden ticketing a car (on double yellows and blocking an exit so he probably deserved it). When he had finished the ticket I asked the Traffic Warden if it was ok for light vans to park where it says ‘Cars and Motorcycles Only’
He replied ‘as long as you can drive it on a car licence its OK. Its just the big American caravans that cause the problems’ (whatever that means I don’t know)
So every council employee I have asked has given a different answer. Are they making it up as they go along?

I have moved the van on to one of the many Bournemouth roads that says Parking ‘cars and motorcycles only’ – again have seen other light (c3.5t) vans and motorhomes parked here.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Been there done that. The sign says "Cars Only" on swanage overdrive. When I tried to explain that I was only the size of a large car, (5m 40'), he told me either move away or I would get a ticket. Not a very friendly place to visit.
Not been back since I first come across that sign some years ago and have no intention of returning. Not as if the town has much to offer anyway..:winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well I was passing Bournemouth Town Hall – the address in your link, so called in again today. Saw another parking supervisor She reiterated that only vehicles with PLG on the tax disc were allowed to park in the car parking areas. I told her that PLG must be an old classification because it seems only the old cars have it on their tax disc now – except for the very old cars which have ‘historic’. Very few cars in their car park have PLG on the tax disc All I got was a Blank stare.
I asked to see the Traffic Regulation Order. Another Blank Stare. I said there would have to be one or the restriction would be unenforceable. She said there must be one so I asked to see it under freedom of information legislation. She said I would have to send in a written request by email. I said can’t you just show me a copy. She said we can’t just show it to anyone. I said she had to make it publicly available under freedom of information legislation. She repeated I would have to send in a written request by email.
I am wondering whether they have actually got a TRO to enforce this.
Because if they had got one I don’t see why they wouldn’t show it to me without writing in?
Out in the street I saw a traffic warden ticketing a car (on double yellows and blocking an exit so he probably deserved it). When he had finished the ticket I asked the Traffic Warden if it was ok for light vans to park where it says ‘Cars and Motorcycles Only’
He replied ‘as long as you can drive it on a car licence its OK. Its just the big American caravans that cause the problems’ (whatever that means I don’t know)
So every council employee I have asked has given a different answer. Are they making it up as they go along?

I have moved the van on to one of the many Bournemouth roads that says Parking ‘cars and motorcycles only’ – again have seen other light (c3.5t) vans and motorhomes parked here.

It is correct that a FoI request has to be in writing, e-mail and fax being perfectly acceptable so long as there is a name and address for the reply. I suspect the TRO will be held by the legal department rather than Parking so the lady you spoke to may not have been able to lay her hands on it. Very strange that any council officer should say something like "we can’t just show it to anyone", though, because they can - and must in response to a written request.

If it is possible for them to send you an electronic copy then they should be able to do so by e-mail but if they only have hard copy you will have to give them a geographic address or arrange to go in to collect it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No confusing this signage from the lower sea wall car park Aldeburgh. The no sleeping looks like an afterthought.:Smile:

Attachments

• Pics from Android 27.07.2012 009.jpg
    Pics from Android 27.07.2012 009.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 32

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
No confusing this signage from the lower sea wall car park Aldeburgh. The no sleeping looks like an afterthought.:Smile:
I'd doubt that signage is enforceable, given the strict statutory requirements for signs.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
an old sign.. ?

this is the current .
Dont like to disagree with a Suffolk resident Jim but yours is the one for the sea wall which has a total ban. Mine was taken a couple of weeks ago, it is for the area below the sea wall by the yacht club where you can still day park.:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Dont like to disagree with a Suffolk resident Jim but yours is the one for the sea wall which has a total ban. Mine was taken a couple of weeks ago, it is for the area below the sea wall by the yacht club where you can still day park.:winky:

my mistake buttons.. thought it was by the sea wall.. :Blush:

in any case, Suffolk Coastal don't allow overnight camping in any of their carparks..

info here Link Removed

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
my mistake buttons.. thought it was by the sea wall.. :Blush:

in any case, Suffolk Coastal don't allow overnight camping in any of their carparks..

info here Link Removed
Would you believe that you still get pillocks overnighting on the lower car park.:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It doesn't matter what the signage says, it is the wording of the TRO that is relevant.

No doubt the afterthought appearance of the first photo was a consequence of the abuse which some people have visited on the area - and probably much less expense to local residents than having to have made and erect a complete new sign.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back