Stray dogs

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Haloze, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Haloze

Haloze Read Only Funster

We are staying at a campsite in Montenegro. There is a tiny, very frightened mama and her six puppies living under a old caravan. I have been feeding her for the last week. I had no idea that they had such a stray dog and cat problem here.
    I have contacted the local animal rescues here, of course they are all full and I have been advised not to put them there as they are rat holes.

A couple of friends have donated some money and we have managed to secure her and her babies a place for a month in foster care and have her sterilised after she has weaned them. What will happen after that is anybody's guess.
    We already have three rescues so cant take her with us.

Just really wanted to know how you all cope with finding strays on your travels? I find it heart breaking, she is such a lovely sweet dog who so desperately wants to be friends but is too frightened to do so!

• Like Like x 4
  2. sedge

sedge Funster

I'd give them a wide berth frankly. Although to be honest, we've never been bothered with any, anywhere we've been!

3. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Thank goodness for people like you! :) well done for doing everything you can.

I would also find myself in the same situation, as I could not give any needy animal a wide berth. I couldn't sleep at night.

I wish I could help with suggestions?! :(

• Like Like x 3
  4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

What a dilemna. :( My daughter found herself in a similar situation when she went abroad earlier this year and there doesn't seem to be an easy answer. The homes there may not be particularly good but are better than the streets. Are you on a campsite? Is there anyone there prepared to take one? Sorry, it sounds a silly answer but just don't know what advice to give... there are thousands of strays like that abroad and so some may say you won't make any difference ... but to my mind you WILL to the one you can help... Good luck.

Please don't leave us wondering. Please come back and let us know how you go on. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Reason I left Cyprus after just 18 months--the appalling cruelty ( dogs and cats poisoned daily) and large number of unwanted animals. Holly (lying next to bowl, in pic) made it out by skin of her teeth. Found her 3 weeks before I left, at deaths door. You can't he them all but sterilising the dog is the best thing you can do for her. Also worm her and pups if they're old enough.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Haloze

Haloze Read Only Funster

Hi and thanks for your words of support, I could never turn my back on them! They are getting picked up tomorrow by volunteers and placed in foster care. There is a few people trying to raise funds to see if they can keep them for as long as possible and hopefully find homes for them! I will keep you updated, they promised to keep me updated.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Haloze

Haloze Read Only Funster

Hi, thanks, I had already been in contact with them but they couldn't help they are overwhelmed at the moment.
    Thanks again

• Like Like x 2
  9. Haloze

Haloze Read Only Funster

Here she is... IMG_8693.JPG

• Like Like x 12
  10. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well done, dog lovers everywhere would have done something and you have their appreciation.

I have just this minute returned a stray dog to her owners. They only live half a mile away from me but here in the new Forest that is only three houses away and I'd never seen this dog before. I have stock fences to keep the ponies and deer out but of course that meant that once the dog had entered the electric gates when Mrs Popeye was going out she couldn't get out and with about an acre of woodland she took some rounding up.

Thankfully she had tag with name and phone number on it.

She was a very obedient and well natured Border Collie who ran away from their garden this morning when she heard shotguns in the adjoining woodland. One very appreciative old girl and I didn't meet her husband because he was out searching for his bitch.

• Like Like x 4
  11. movan

Oh dear, how sweet. I would smuggle one home in my motorhome.. :( How beautiful. :crying::crying:

• Like Like x 2
  12. movan

Oh look at the sad eyes on their mum... :( Thank yu for caring.

• Like Like x 4
  13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

it must be heartbreaking.
    I haven't much travel experience other than the USA France Germany and the lowlands but a few years ago I went to Bucherest and toured a little of Romania. It broke my heart to see the amount of stray dogs out there. Some of the females with teets touching the ground where they had given birth so many times. There was a stray dog sterilisation program out there.
    Sadly in many countries there is not the same animal affection that we have here.

I hope you can get something sorted for these cuties, but I hope the local authorities out there set up there own programs to end this.

• Like Like x 2
  14. movan

:( Just bumping in case somebody wants one. :(

That little white one is just like a teddy bear....

• Like Like x 2
  15. Haloze

Haloze Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone, The pups are now in foster care for a month, we couldn't catch the Mom. She will take food from my hand but I cant get any closer. A local is coming over with a net tomorrow so fingers crossed!!!

Yes, they so badly need homes. I have three rescues already, I think if I took another I would end up single :cry:
    The Mother is the sweetest thing so scared, just hope we can find a good home for her!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Haloze

Haloze Read Only Funster

WOW You done well to catch her, Great work all round (y)

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Very well indeed.....except they didnt.

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

OMG ... that mummy dog is lovely ... she doesn't look very old - what age do you think she is and how big ... my brain is 'ticking' over at the moment about her and if it would be possible to get her back to the UK .... I KNEW I shouldn't have read this thread!

• Like Like x 5
  19. The Dude

The Dude Funster

I really wish there were more people like you in the world. I have lived in Crete for several years and now still spend a lot of time there we have exactly the same problem. I do what I can but it's impossible to feed, befriend and rescue every stray dog. Last year I started feeding a stray by our apartment in Crete. She was pregnant and gave birth to 2 pups - 1 died and the other one survived. I managed to find a rescue shelter who rehomes dogs in Germany and they kindly took both of them - they are now in their forever homes in Leipzig and Hanover. I called the mama Agnes and the little one Roly after our dog, who was also a Cretan stray and who died on the same day that the rescue sanctuary came to collect them. I am currently in Crete feeding 12 stray cats and 2 stray dogs. Here is a photo of Agnes and little Roly. Agnes and Roly 2 in the garden.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We're complete suckers for stray cats, which we encountered a lot on our recent trip to Spain. We'll usually feed them for the duration of our stay on a site, and most become friendly. Our favourites were a little gang at the only campsite in Ronda, and I believe other funsters have met them. Some real characters there - the otherwise cheerful lady in reception couldn't stand them, but they were popular with the clients.

• Like Like x 3