Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
MH is 2000 Peugeot 2.5d.

Got it out of storage yesterday, put the cab battery on, horn sound continuous.

Then when wipers on first speed, a small pulse from washer pump, put wipers on fast speed, washer pump runs continuously with wipers.

Put indicator on, washer pump pulses with indicators albeit with reduced power.

I've disconnected the wiring to the steering column stalk and wipers/indicators stop but horn still goes off.

Took under dash covers off and can't see much wrong.

Now, sounds like earth problem but my concern is MICE!

No sign of any droppings, and no sign of any internal wires chewed. I would have expected if wiring has been chewed then thing would not work, but everything does work, just not when expected, anyone have anything similar before?

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Is it fiat based if so it sounds like body ecu needs reset as this happens when battery removed check online for method quite simple

Reactions: SMB
OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Is it fiat based if so it sounds like body ecu needs reset as this happens when battery removed check online for method quite simple
Is there such a unit on a 17 year old Ducato/Boxer?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Sounds like it could be an earth issue. There are at least 3 you should check, easy to do and easy to get to. First is the neg battery lead where it is bolted to the body. Undo the bolt, clean all the rust off the lead and body and replace with a new bolt. There is a similar bolt on the other wing in a similar location and the engine to earth strap near the alternator. You need to scrabble underneath to do this one.
Even if they don't cure the fault, they will need cleaning soon, it's quite common for them to be rusted.
There are other earth wires in the engine bay and around the body that may need taking apart and cleaning.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sounds like it could be an earth issue. There are at least 3 you should check, easy to do and easy to get to. First is the neg battery lead where it is bolted to the body. Undo the bolt, clean all the rust off the lead and body and replace with a new bolt. There is a similar bolt on the other wing in a similar location and the engine to earth strap near the alternator. You need to scrabble underneath to do this one.
Even if they don't cure the fault, they will need cleaning soon, it's quite common for them to be rusted.
There are other earth wires in the engine bay and around the body that may need taking apart and cleaning.
I'd go with an earthing failure too. There's a good chance that you have disturbed one when changing batteries - a better way to find it than when on holiday or during a journey.

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I had a fairly simular problem 4 years ago with a 2002 model, it turned out to be the main loom that comes from the engine compartment into the cab is located behind the passenger glove compartment. When built the loom was fitted tight against the bulkhead and was earthing.

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Bast**ds.......

Attachments

• 20170402_162050.jpg
    20170402_162050.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 245
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
was trying to find a way to acknowledge @Larrynwin reply, like was wrong useful not helpful, then I saw your reply, I had feared that for you

hope it can be sorted fairly easily o_O(y)

I put outside rodent bait traps close to mhome in winter and another under bonnet . They like a warm place in winter.
The first sign I got was a few years ago with the RV, mouse droppings on the engine battery so have baited since.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that is good couple of hours work for a pro. probably double for a keen diy-er

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This was a failed attempt to get into RV through a belly locker a few years back but the bait beat the little bugger.
He had chewed a load of expanding foam first :mad:

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
I had a fairly simular problem 4 years ago with a 2002 model, it turned out to be the main loom that comes from the engine compartment into the cab is located behind the passenger glove compartment. When built the loom was fitted tight against the bulkhead and was earthing.
This is the loom that has been chewed.

There looks like all the soundproofing has been used to make a nest but no sign of squeaky.

I managed to unplug the loom from behind the relay box and pull it back into the engine compartment.

Wires are not a concern as I'm a sparks but at least I've found it but I need to get rid of the squeaky if it's still resident!

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
So been a few weeks now. The van has been back in storage with four traps set with peanut butter.

Mouse droppings have been found on the carpet but none of the traps have been sprung. Looked up where the loom was chewed and no more damage but that does not mean they ain't chewing elsewhere.

Looking to fit some of the glue mats as Mrs won't want to stay in van until culprit(s) have been eradicated.

Anyone had success with the mats?

Please please don't start the moral argument about the mouse and if they are humane or not.

I don't care.

I just to know if they work, not debate the moral issue of using them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
better to bait with something sweet like chewed bits of snickers bar. place the traps by the edges of cupboards and right by the access point

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
So been a few weeks now. The van has been back in storage with four traps set with peanut butter.

Mouse droppings have been found on the carpet but none of the traps have been sprung. Looked up where the loom was chewed and no more damage but that does not mean they ain't chewing elsewhere.

Looking to fit some of the glue mats as Mrs won't want to stay in van until culprit(s) have been eradicated.

Anyone had success with the mats?

Please please don't start the moral argument about the mouse and if they are humane or not.

I don't care.

I just to know if they work, not debate the moral issue of using them.

i had a mouse problem a few months ago , i put 16 traps down ,i lifted all sortsof acess hatches ,i put them in the garage,between the double floor etc i used chocolate ,peanut butter ,biscuit and the stuff that came with the traps ,in total i caught 12 mice in about a week ,i also added a sonic type mouse deterant........................no mice no mouse poo for a while ,i was fortunate to get them before they started nesting , also i hovered every corner and used a cleaning agent on all surfaces.

As for the ethical question i did not care either ,i did not try the glue traps ,but i do think the sonic gadget made a difference

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Unfortunately glue traps work the best
Try to monitor them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun