Storing Stuff!! Please read...it's complicated this question...!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Shaggy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Read Only Funster

Hello All,

Most of my initial questions have been answered simply by searching this forum, but I have one, that I can't get an answer to, or rather that I can't phrase properly in the search box!?

"Do you keep all or most of your gear (tools, electric & water kit, BBQ, chairs, windbreaks etc etc) in your MH all of the time, or do you remove anything not bolted down each time you return to a home base or storage? If you do remove things, is it for security reasons or to prevent against cold, heat, damp etc. We will be fully alarmed and parked on home driveway when not touring and the MH insurance covers the price of anything kept on board, but I'd be keen to know any best practices you guys might use?"

Thanks in advance

Andy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

All my 'bits' stay in the MH all year round
    The only thing we remove in the winter is bedding and cushions

• Like Like x 3
  3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

I suppose it depends on where you live and how secure you feel.
    Some people clean & refresh and get everything back in the MH to be ready to leave at a moment's impulse. Others have had MH's ransacked (or even stolen) while parked up on their drive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Neckender

Neckender Funster

I'm different and I like our motorhome tidy and spic and span, So I tow a small trailer and keep every thing chairs, recliners, awning, bbq, etc in there and when not in use locked up in my garage.
    We are restricted with what size motorhome we can get on the drive, so can't get a bigger van with garage.

John.

• Like Like x 3
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

We leave everything in including canned food and clothes kept just for motorhoming. The van is kept on my gated frontage. I drain down for the three months we don't use it, leave all locker doors open, and have a small heater controlled at around 10 degrees C on all the time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Leltel

Leltel Funster

We keep our motorhome fully equipped, never had any problems, we can just fill the fridge and get away for the weekend then, all year round :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Food and clothes are the only things we take out of the motorhome between trips. We'll the keys also, obviously!:giggle:

• Like Like x 5
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

We don't remove anything bar dirty clothes, fresh food and gadgets like computer and kindles that we use at home. We also empty all the water between trips as we prefer using fresh water when away. In winter I open all lockers and internal doors, put cushions on their sides and do the necessary for taps and drains. We do use it all year round.

Having terrible memories we keep a set of everything we need specifically for the van. When I've washed bedclothes, towels etc after a trip they go in an Ikea bag ready for next time. IKEA bags are excellent for carrying things to and from the van and handy for underbed storage too.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Shaggy

Shaggy Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the early replies! I think that I'll be storing on board all the time, bar electronic kit, food and clothes. Saves me a load of work making garage space too!

• Like Like x 5
  10. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, Like others,90% left on board, just remove dirty washing /bedding, electrical bits & bobs,most of our clothes ( just leave a change of clothes on board ) ensure dirty water empty& toilet emtied & refilled. some food left on board as we do use it for day trips.
    Then come Nov drain down , sort cushions & Wash van. ready for March.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Is it advisable to remove all cushions? Our MH will be unused from now until March and will be parked on our drive. I didn't remove them last year and all was fine but am I tempting fate?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

In over 25 years have never removed cushions...

• Like Like x 7
  13. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Being Ex military, we turn MH round within 2/3 days of returning home, so it's ready to go at a minutes notice. Full fuel, some water, food, clothes, tools etc etc and cleaned inside and out.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

If you take any tablets or inhalers etc on a regular basis its worth making sure you keep some in the van all the time and don't rely on remembering to take them with you when you go away. A copy of your prescription, the one you get from the chemist, is also handy to keep in the van with them.

• Like Like x 4
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If you dont intend using stuff at home why remove it ?

Seems a waste of time to me.

• Like Like x 4
  16. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Remove everything here except the mattress now as it is a hell of a job doing it on my own :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  17. movan

movan Funster Life Member

What's the best way of keeping a small amount of heat going in the mh for the three months it in storage on the farm ... no EHU ? If you don't remove clothes and cushions might the mice not take advantage?

• Like Like x 1
  18. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Can't understand why the mice would want to wear your clothes, am I missing something :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 7
  19. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

We park ours on the road & keep it fully stocked unless the temp drops below zero otherwise its fully loaded & I even have to nip down to it to borrow tools, booze & food.
    It takes me 15 minutes to get ready for a snap weekend away but it takes Mandy all week :censored: & some.....

• Like Like x 4
  20. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

movan,

My van sits for months over winter without any heating and I have never had a problem with damp etc.
    I leave all cupboard doors open and the roof Hekkies are open a little to allow a through flow of air, I take it for a 6-7 mile drive once a fortnight to keep the essentials moving around though.

Norman.

• Like Like x 4